When people say that they're "praying for you..." (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:21:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  When people say that they're "praying for you..." (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...how do you feel?
Grateful

Insulted

Amused

Confused

Feelings are gay

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: When people say that they're "praying for you..."  (Read 6250 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« on: October 04, 2008, 02:53:58 PM »

Depends on how it is said and what is really meant.  Permit me to offer a couple of scenarios...

Me:  We still miss Dad so much.  Even though we're glad he's not suffering anymore, it still hurts to see his chair empty.

Other:  I'm so sorry.  That IS hard.  I'll keep you in my prayers.

++++++

Me:   Thanks for inviting me to you church.  I really appreciate it.  But we're quite happy at our own.  But seriously -- we appreciate your invite.

Other:  Well.  We'll be praying for you, then....

Now, I realize the second scenario COULD mean --  "Oh, I am so glad you are happy.  We'll pray that continues!"  But a lot of times, it means --  "Oh.  But...but...you go to one of those churches.  Eewww.  We'll be praying you see the light and join the right kind."

You can be a person of faith or a secularist/agnostic and experience that.  Either way, it's rude and it's an insult. The subtle implication is, "I'm better than you.  But it doesn't have to be that way!! You can be as good as me, too."

That kind of thing stinks.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 11:57:37 AM »

somebody just told me they prayed for me at church today.  I really want to kill her.

That really is just so rude, dude. Seriously. I remember a few people being offended/wanted to laugh at me when I mention that I pray for them. If I pray for you, I really care about you; it's not meant to seem like, "Well, you need a lot of help that the rest of us don't need, pal."

I agree with Phil.  Knowing that people who care about me are praying for me means so much.  Especially when I know they are coming from a condescending, arrogant state of mine.

Andrew -- I know what you mean.  My family has been "praying for me" since I became an Episcopalian.  A couple of them actually believe I am under the influence of demonic spirits.  Otherwise, I would be Baptist or Pentecostal or something along those lines.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 03:52:43 PM »

Another thing to throw into the mix.

We pray for people expecting God to change them.  Often, God changes us instead.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 05:44:01 PM »

I can't remember an instance besides when I was leaving for college my sort-of girlfriend's mom said she was praying that I'd be okay and transition well. She repeated it the next several times I saw her. I was appreciative of it, but more appreciative of the stuff she did for me when I came back to visit the first few times.

As Ken Medema puts it in one of his songs,

"Don't tell me I've got a friend in Jesus...
Without showing me first, I've got a friend in you."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies