House Leadership Megathread: it's House of Cards but without the monologues (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:04:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  House Leadership Megathread: it's House of Cards but without the monologues (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: House Leadership Megathread: it's House of Cards but without the monologues  (Read 30891 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« on: September 29, 2015, 12:35:56 PM »

Price is very right of center, but so is Scalise, and Price doesn't have the baggage that Scalise has.

And being from Oklahoma and knowing the congressionial field, I'm very surprised that Tom Cole, a Boehner ally and a guy obviously rising through the ranks, isn't going for spot #3 and Markwayne Mullin (who, for all intents and purposes, is a backbencher even compared to Cruzite Jim Bridenstine from my district) is running for it.

I feel like Cole really, really screwed something up in leadership a while back, but I can't remember what. 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 08:17:09 PM »

The rules of the House Freedom Caucus require 80% of their members to agree on it before the organization itself makes an endorsement. There are 42 known members of the HFC (it's impossible to know their full member count because they do the whole Fight Club thing). This means at least 34 GOP Congressmen aren't voting for McCarthy. If they maintain their opposition through the actual Speaker election, it would keep McCarthy below 218 votes and prevent his election. There's no reason to believe they wouldn't actually do this, which means they have the leverage to demand major concessions from the Republican leadership. McCarthy must either pay their ransom in order to become Speaker, or call their bluff and risk a major embarrassment to both himself and the party.

This is what it feels like to be on the other side of obstructionism Tongue

If they hold the vote and no one gets 218 votes, what happens?

Chaos
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 08:06:34 PM »

Boehner un-resigning is a PR nightmare. They need to elect somebody else.

King for Speaker!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 06:51:07 AM »

Random anecdote (as always with such things, take it with a grain of salt): A friend of mine who is a really right-wing evangelical SoCon (he wanted a Mike Huckabee/Tom Coburn ticket in 2008, a Rick Santorum/Ron Johnson ticket in 2012, and initially wanted a Ben Carson/Pat Toomey this time around until the good doctor jumped aboard the crazy train in that Meet the Press interview), said he is going to write-in for the Presidential race (regardless of the Republican nominee), as well as vote for Strickland and whatever sacrificial lamb gets nominated to run against Tiberi due to precisely what King was talking about: even putting all ideological considerations aside, with this latest mess national Republicans have proven once again proven themselves objectively incapable of governing. 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 12:04:32 PM »

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/09/rep-issa-im-considering-running-for-house-speaker.html

Also, lunch break is about to end, so no time to get a link atm, but apparently the Freedom Caucus won't back Paul Ryan if he runs for Speaker.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 06:37:44 PM »

If the Freedom Caucus is refusing to back Ryan, doesn't that negate the whole point of him running in the first place?  If I were a Republican, I would be absolutely furious with these people.

I believe jdb is confused - his link doesn't say the Freedom Caucus is refusing to back Ryan (and indeed they haven't said that at all)

I didn't have time to put up the link about Ryan, will do it tomorrow.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies