Kay Bailey Hutchinson to resign from Senate in October to run full-time for Gov
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:23:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Kay Bailey Hutchinson to resign from Senate in October to run full-time for Gov
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Kay Bailey Hutchinson to resign from Senate in October to run full-time for Gov  (Read 7830 times)
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2009, 10:37:06 AM »

I'll be crossing my fingers!  I have little doubt she'd do great things for Texas.  And I'd like to see her become a bigger voice within the party.

you like a conservative? Wow, shocking..
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2009, 10:48:54 AM »

I'll be crossing my fingers!  I have little doubt she'd do great things for Texas.  And I'd like to see her become a bigger voice within the party.

Yeah but she is pro-choice, and we all know how much of a deal breaker that is with the GOP.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2009, 10:52:26 AM »
« Edited: July 30, 2009, 10:55:15 AM by fezzyfestoon »

I like effective politicians, which makes the shocking part the fact that she's a Republican.

But regardless, hahaha at the sad attempt at an insult.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2009, 02:47:10 PM »

What's really been so shocking to me so far is just how bad a campaign Kay Bailey has run.  I want to see what happens when she devotes to it full-time however.

The other question is who Perry will appoint.  Will it be a seat-filler or someone who runs for the full term?  Also, will he and the Texas Republicans coordinate the candidate so that weird things don't happen in the jungle primary?

Cornyn has always seemed to want Greg Abbott (current AG) for the seat.  Wouldn't be surprised if he's the person who gets it in the end.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2009, 05:41:13 PM »

So, wait. If she resigns, there's gonna be a special election in May, then another one in the nationwide elections in November?

Eh. Why not just do it in November? It probably saves the state and donors money, and they'll know how Minnesota felt.

No, the special election would be for the remainder of KBH's term, which ends in 2012.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2009, 05:49:09 PM »

So, wait. If she resigns, there's gonna be a special election in May, then another one in the nationwide elections in November?

Eh. Why not just do it in November? It probably saves the state and donors money, and they'll know how Minnesota felt.

No, the special election would be for the remainder of KBH's term, which ends in 2012.

I would be surprised if any candidate gets 50%, which means there will be a runoff election between the top two candidates, probably in June or July.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2009, 12:19:18 AM »

How has this not been posted?

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0709/Hutchinson_site_displays_antiPerry_slur.html

lol @ this "apology"

You must be logged in to read this quote.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2009, 01:06:29 AM »

Yeah but she is pro-choice, and we all know how much of a deal breaker that is with the GOP.

Ha, that's true. I'm sure Perry will exploit that issue against her to drum up support for him among all the Bible thumpers in the REAL Texas, if you will.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2009, 03:32:55 AM »

What's really been so shocking to me so far is just how bad a campaign Kay Bailey has run.  I want to see what happens when she devotes to it full-time however.

The other question is who Perry will appoint.  Will it be a seat-filler or someone who runs for the full term?  Also, will he and the Texas Republicans coordinate the candidate so that weird things don't happen in the jungle primary?

Cornyn has always seemed to want Greg Abbott (current AG) for the seat.  Wouldn't be surprised if he's the person who gets it in the end.

1.  I think it's a fairly safe assumption that Perry will appoint someone who will run in the special election and who he thinks will be most likely to win.  The last thing Perry wants to do is gamble and have the seat be lost because he did anything less than his best to keep it in GOP hands

2.  Abbott is pretty popular, wouldn't be surprised.  Texas's Lt. Governor is hella wealthy though and could self-finance an entire campaign and then some, which could be appealing to take on Bill White's amazing money machine (seriously, where is all that coming from?).
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2009, 09:54:34 AM »

2.  Abbott is pretty popular, wouldn't be surprised.  Texas's Lt. Governor is hella wealthy though and could self-finance an entire campaign and then some, which could be appealing to take on Bill White's amazing money machine (seriously, where is all that coming from?).

If it's Texas Democrats, the usual answer is trial lawyers.  Smiley  I'd have to run through the donations, but the safest answer is usually the correct one.

With Dewhurst, you have to remember that Lt. Governor is a very powerful position in TX (quite frankly, more powerful than the Gov) and that he could basically be elected for life  But if he wants Senate, he'd certainly be up there with Abbott as the strongest candidates Republicans could offer.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2009, 10:53:34 AM »

Id like to see Florence Shapiro become senator
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2009, 12:07:25 PM »

Im going to be different and support Perry.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2009, 12:53:36 PM »

Im going to be different and support Perry.

lol
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2009, 02:16:07 PM »

lulz times a gillion
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States