Opinion of Woodrow Wilson
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:35:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Opinion of Woodrow Wilson
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: Your opinion:
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Opinion of Woodrow Wilson  (Read 20799 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2009, 06:36:20 PM »

For me he was a deeply HP

1. Committed racist, refused to admitt Black student to Princeton
2. White Supremacist, who introduced segregation in federal offices
3. Hypocrite, talking neraly exlusively about idealism, but also ordered number of cruel and unjust military interventions
4. For long time undecided regarding World War I
5. Blew up a huge opportunity, League of Nation (yes, this was not only GOP and Lodge fault, Wilson refused to any compromise)
6. Religious fanatic
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 07:49:37 PM »

3. Hypocrite, talking neraly exlusively about idealism, but also ordered number of cruel and unjust military interventions
5. Blew up a huge opportunity, League of Nation (yes, this was not only GOP and Lodge fault, Wilson refused to any compromise)
6. Religious fanatic

Yes indeed. How the hell do Democrats excuse this BS? It's shocking how high this bastard is rated by people.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 07:56:38 PM »

He wasn't undecided about World War I.  He actively took steps to prop up the Entente Powers as early as 1915.  He was definitely not the paragon of neutrality his supporters like to claim.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 09:11:18 PM »

An HP who did a few positive, constructive things.  But hell, even The Decider managed to preserve some large tracts of endangered ocean.  So even a complete idiot can do something decent once in awhile.

Wilson's racism was real and it was and is indefensible.

Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 10:58:17 PM »

Horrible person.

Segregated the federal government, cheated the American taxpayer, anti-progressive policies, got bullied into supporting his only true "accomplishments" by Republicans, got us sucked into a war for big business interests when we had no real reason for involvement. Lesson from Lusitania- don't send Americans into war zones. Wilson was a vile president and is evidenced by the 1920 election.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 11:03:30 PM »

A diamond among dung.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 11:15:30 PM »

"Progressive", then, I believe to be different from progressive now. The reforms undertaken by TR were very well necessary, fair, efficient, and overall good for America. Wilson fought against woman's suffrage and the like. Except for union support, which was a very bad policy of the Progressives.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 10:05:44 AM »

"Progressive", then, I believe to be different from progressive now. The reforms undertaken by TR were very well necessary, fair, efficient, and overall good for America. Wilson fought against woman's suffrage and the like. Except for union support, which was a very bad policy of the Progressives.

Oh yes, I forgot about his opposition to woman's suffrage

Wilson always in fact remained an unreconstructed son of antabellum Dixie
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 02:26:42 PM »

FF.

Of course, I think personally he was a SOB and a dirty racist. But led America through WW1 and introduced internationalism to America. And proved that Isolationism is nothing  but a cowardly and failed policy.

SO in general :

Personally : Asshole, HP
On a ideological scale : FF
Foreign policy : FF
Presidency : FF for the most part

He was a decent democratic  president.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 04:33:34 PM »

the good things he did was the income tax, direct election of senators and women suffrage.  Other than that I have no respect for his demeanor towards black suffage.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 04:44:02 PM »

Piece of crap who did very little good things.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 06:02:31 PM »

Unparralelled sh**tbag.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 06:24:51 PM »

the good things he did was the income tax, direct election of senators and women suffrage.

You do realize that none of those were due to Wilson.  Leaving aside the fact that Presidents can do nothing except make use of the bully pulpit to get amendments passed, he didn't even do that much.  The 16th and 17th Amendments were sent to the States for ratification while Taft was President. New Jersey (where Wilson had been governor) never ratified the 16th and only ratified the 17th after Wilson had resigned as Governor to become President.  (Not that Governors have anything more to do with passing amendments than do Presidents, but you'd think that if he were staunchly behind them, he'd have have gotten New Jersey to ratify them before he resigned on March 1.)

On Women's suffrage the evidence is quite clear that he had to be dragged into supporting it once it became the politically popular thing to do.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 05:57:48 AM »

the good things he did was the income tax, direct election of senators and women suffrage.  Other than that I have no respect for his demeanor towards black suffage.

Computation failure.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 09:25:38 AM »

the good things he did was the income tax, direct election of senators and women suffrage.

You do realize that none of those were due to Wilson.  Leaving aside the fact that Presidents can do nothing except make use of the bully pulpit to get amendments passed, he didn't even do that much.  The 16th and 17th Amendments were sent to the States for ratification while Taft was President. New Jersey (where Wilson had been governor) never ratified the 16th and only ratified the 17th after Wilson had resigned as Governor to become President.  (Not that Governors have anything more to do with passing amendments than do Presidents, but you'd think that if he were staunchly behind them, he'd have have gotten New Jersey to ratify them before he resigned on March 1.)

On Women's suffrage the evidence is quite clear that he had to be dragged into supporting it once it became the politically popular thing to do.

All I was saying that he was one of the first Democratic reform president of our time.  He took alot of initiatives of the Teddy Roosevelt era and perhaps if Hughes would of been president he would of done the same.  Woodrow Wilson, first Democratic reform president.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 10:28:19 AM »

Among the worst of the worst.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »

All I was saying that he was one of the first Democratic reform president of our time.  He took alot of initiatives of the Teddy Roosevelt era and perhaps if Hughes would of been president he would of done the same.  Woodrow Wilson, first Democratic reform president.

The first anti-reform President, well not the first. But he wasn't a reformer, he was a dick, a racist, a corrupt bastard, a warmonger, and just plain wrong. No one should defend this man's record.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 05:33:32 PM »

I'm not really a fan of KKK members.

HP!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 11:19:52 AM »

6. Religious fanatic

Yes indeed. How the hell do Democrats excuse this BS? It's shocking how high this bastard is rated by people.

We excuse that BS? Tongue

Obviously massive HP.  Even the part where his foreign policy was somehow both more naïvely idealistic than mine in some ways.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 10:22:27 PM »

A truly massive HP.

The very definition of a "Liberal Fascist."
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2009, 12:26:50 AM »
« Edited: August 13, 2009, 07:14:42 AM by Mechman »

6. Religious fanatic

We excuse that BS? Tongue

Obviously massive HP.  Even the part where his foreign policy was somehow both more naïvely idealistic than mine in some ways.

Well not on here, Democrats seem to have a brain on this website (as does everybody else). I've seen numerous sources however (granted both liberal as well as conservative) that rank this bastard pretty highly. I just figured with the Democrat's supposed social liberalism nowdays they wouldn't still think highly of this bastard. Apparently I'm wrong:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_United_States_Presidents#Scholar_survey_results

Now all those scholars can't be all Republicans, can they?
Again, this is not a criticism of Atlas Democrats, just uninformed Democrats (mostly in the general populace) who praise the guy for his economic progressivism while completely ignoring his socially backasswards views.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2009, 01:26:37 AM »

A truly massive HP.

The very definition of a "Liberal Fascist."

Except that a) he wasn't a fascist, b) he wasn't liberal, and c) that doesn't make sense.

HP, though.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009, 03:46:29 PM »

Lets see, shall we?

1. Founded the Federal Reserve
2. Got America involved in WW1
3. Racist bastard
4. Religious nutcase

Massive HP, one of the biggest failures of a president in US history.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009, 03:51:41 PM »

Yes. As we all know, the Center of the World was quite capable of winning itself.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2009, 04:00:14 PM »

Yes. As we all know, the Center of the World was quite capable of winning itself.

Look, troll, the Allies could have won anyway. Had America stayed out, Germany could have been balkanised and that would have been that. I'm a British isolationist, and frankly I prefer that we'd have stayed out of WW1, but there you go.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies