Opinion of Woodrow Wilson (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:11:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Opinion of Woodrow Wilson (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Your opinion:
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Opinion of Woodrow Wilson  (Read 20811 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« on: July 30, 2009, 10:58:17 PM »

Horrible person.

Segregated the federal government, cheated the American taxpayer, anti-progressive policies, got bullied into supporting his only true "accomplishments" by Republicans, got us sucked into a war for big business interests when we had no real reason for involvement. Lesson from Lusitania- don't send Americans into war zones. Wilson was a vile president and is evidenced by the 1920 election.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 11:15:30 PM »

"Progressive", then, I believe to be different from progressive now. The reforms undertaken by TR were very well necessary, fair, efficient, and overall good for America. Wilson fought against woman's suffrage and the like. Except for union support, which was a very bad policy of the Progressives.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »

the good things he did was the income tax, direct election of senators and women suffrage.

You do realize that none of those were due to Wilson.  Leaving aside the fact that Presidents can do nothing except make use of the bully pulpit to get amendments passed, he didn't even do that much.  The 16th and 17th Amendments were sent to the States for ratification while Taft was President. New Jersey (where Wilson had been governor) never ratified the 16th and only ratified the 17th after Wilson had resigned as Governor to become President.  (Not that Governors have anything more to do with passing amendments than do Presidents, but you'd think that if he were staunchly behind them, he'd have have gotten New Jersey to ratify them before he resigned on March 1.)

On Women's suffrage the evidence is quite clear that he had to be dragged into supporting it once it became the politically popular thing to do.

All I was saying that he was one of the first Democratic reform president of our time.  He took alot of initiatives of the Teddy Roosevelt era and perhaps if Hughes would of been president he would of done the same.  Woodrow Wilson, first Democratic reform president.

The first anti-reform President, well not the first. But he wasn't a reformer, he was a dick, a racist, a corrupt bastard, a warmonger, and just plain wrong. No one should defend this man's record.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 09:00:47 PM »

Of course, I think personally he was a SOB and a dirty racist. But led America through WW1 and introduced internationalism to America. And proved that Isolationism is nothing  but a cowardly and failed policy.
Right, it takes a lot of courage to lounge in the oval office while ordering thousands of young boys to be sent to their deaths for no good reason. Especially after you've lied your way through a whole election campaign promising to preserve peace.

Plus thanks to Wilson's interventionism, we eventually got to experience World War II, the Cold War, and the current mess in the Middle East.

What a success story.

Would you oppose war even after being attacked?

We weren't. Hypotheticals=dgaf
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 08:26:06 PM »

I believe the Antitrust Act and the income tax were the only good things he did. Monopolies are no good for the free market, and the income tax helped reduce the need for tariffs.

As a libertarian, you should know better than to support breaking up successful ventures, unless they fix prices or other such behaviour.

I take more of a moderate stance on economic matters. In that instance, I suppose I'm a bad libertarian Smiley
Supporting slavery a.k.a. the income tax makes you not a libertarian at all.

That mentality is what prevents libertarianism from ever becoming viable. You have to be open to a big tent like the two major parties, to accomplish any of your goals at all. It's called compromise.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 12:22:38 AM »

I believe the Antitrust Act and the income tax were the only good things he did. Monopolies are no good for the free market, and the income tax helped reduce the need for tariffs.

As a libertarian, you should know better than to support breaking up successful ventures, unless they fix prices or other such behaviour.

I take more of a moderate stance on economic matters. In that instance, I suppose I'm a bad libertarian Smiley

That mentality is what prevents libertarianism from ever becoming viable. You have to be open to a big tent like the two major parties, to accomplish any of your goals at all. It's called compromise.

Libertarians necessarily must accept the non-aggression principle as inviolable. Robbery at gunpoint, by any name, is clearly a violation.

Income tax>sales tax>property tax
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 12:43:59 PM »

Libertarians necessarily must accept the non-aggression principle as inviolable. Robbery at gunpoint, by any name, is clearly a violation.

Income tax<sales tax<property tax

You hate the middle class?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 01:24:59 PM »

Income tax<sales tax<property tax

You hate the middle class?
[/quote]

Huh?  Class has nothing to do with what I wrote.  I as expressing an opinion as to which form of taxation I think is preferable.
[/quote]

I put them in an order of which ones are best for middle class.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 05:07:54 PM »

You know that American neutrality was nothing more than retroactive justification by George Washington for the failure of the French alliance, I hope.

Besides the fact that we had distinct pro-Britain and pro-France groups that didn't get along well, you mean?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies