Social con vs fiscal con
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:51:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Social con vs fiscal con
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Social con vs fiscal con  (Read 6880 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2009, 05:51:41 AM »

I see why Universal Healthcare can work sorta well in France. You guys have about 40 doctors per 1000 people. Which is not so bad. In the United States we have 2.2 Doctors per 1000 people, so its not going too work very well if 30 million people suddenly become insured.

And so ? Why should a private insurance system work better than a public one when there are less doctors ?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If tax raises are done correctly, favoring things like income taxes, inheritance taxes or profit taxes, it would only hurt rich people, who won't really suffer for that. As for spencing cuts, I think for USA we would have quite good possibilities when useless Irak war wil finally end.

Good point. But the point is that, if you have the right to be cured in emergency situations, those with long or chronic disease can not be treated at the beginning, but only where their illness has become grave enough to need an emergency treatment.

Moreover, even for those who can afford health insurance, health spending often becomes very important in the budget, so that poor people is forced to waive spending for a better housing, studies for their children, leisure or just money saving. That causes poor people to effectively become more poor.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2009, 06:28:47 AM »

What about a foreign policy conservative? Those are the only kinds of conservatives I like! Tongue

I believe in compromise on economic issues, because I think both sides have good arguments (like middle-class tax cuts are okay but I believe we need more government regulation to hold corporations accountable), but on social issues, I don't want the government telling me what I can and cannot do with my body or who I can and cannot have sex with/fall in love with, etc., because yeah it's none of their business. Cheesy

I'll never see what part of "separation of church and state" the conservatives/strict constructionists just don't understand. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2009, 06:52:26 AM »

What about a foreign policy conservative? Those are the only kinds of conservatives I like! Tongue  

You like useless and costly wars, ridiculous defense spendings, and aggressive and arrogant attitudes toward the rest of the world ?

Totally agreed.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2009, 06:55:31 AM »

I believe in compromise on economic issues, because I think both sides have good arguments (like middle-class tax cuts are okay but I believe we need more government regulation to hold corporations accountable), but on social issues, I don't want the government telling me what I can and cannot do with my body or who I can and cannot have sex with/fall in love with, etc., because yeah it's none of their business. Cheesy

I'll never see what part of "separation of church and state" the conservatives/strict constructionists just don't understand. 

Oh Damn, I guess I'm not liked......
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2009, 07:07:26 AM »

Oh Damn, I guess I'm not liked......

Awe, cheer up Giovanni. I never said I didn't like you; I just don't like the way you think. "Love the sinner, hate the sin," ya know? Tongue if I had a dime for every time I was told that, I could pay off a tenth of my student loan debt.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2009, 07:39:58 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2009, 07:44:56 PM by Glowy the Weasel »

Then again, isn't easier to go where the better deal is? Tongue If stocks are outperforming bonds, then hell yeah, I want to keep my money....but if bonds are beating stocks...then it seems pretty glutty to keep all the money for yourself if you are just turning your dollars into dimes.

Also, I don't think Utah or Idaho would go Welfare Conservative because though the mormons are pretty uniformly socially conservative, they almost all are uniformly hesitant to support a 100% social conservative agenda and I am not sure if they really want to be part of the U.S., deep down in 'em....so the anti-Federalist would probably get their vote.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2010, 10:49:20 AM »

Bump, that was an interesting thread.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2010, 04:43:12 PM »

Keynesian economics is not going to help us out with the recession.  It's only a delusion then will take a back lash in the future.  We'll all have to pay for it eventually. I'm all about getting the government out of the private sector.  The private sector is called private for a reason.

Keynesian policies work. We need the action of State to avoid crisis like this one and to correct dramatic injustices that appears when we let wealthies to become more and more rich and poors to become more and more poor.

Yes, Keynesian economics work just great. Look at such success stories as the "recovery" in Japan, the boom (followed by the bust which we are still undergoing) of 2002-2008 in the USA, the stagflationary crash of the 60s and 70s that killed Keynesianism in the Western world, and the grand success we are currently seeing in Europe.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2010, 04:51:17 PM »

I agree with Hillary, I'll take the candidate who is 100% Foreign Policy conservative and moderate socially and economically Smiley
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2010, 06:26:25 PM »

I agree with Hillary, I'll take the candidate who is 100% Foreign Policy conservative and moderate socially and economically Smiley

So your party change to a Truman-Johnson Democrat is official?

Or did you mean you prefer a real foreign policy conservative, i.e. an isolationist?
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2010, 06:27:17 PM »

The fiscal con wins, every time.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2010, 06:33:05 PM »

I would love to vote for someone who was socially conservative and fiscally moderate-to-liberal (and preferably not a hawk). Alas, the Republican Party seems to be devoid of such individuals, and so I am left with the Democrats, who are only very occasionally socially moderate-to-conservative and actually fiscally liberal. Those who are socially moderate-to-conservative usually end up being all-around moderates (for example, Blue Dogs are not very liberal fiscally).
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2010, 07:55:03 PM »

The fascist, every time.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2010, 09:49:56 PM »

The fascist? Huh
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2010, 01:42:03 PM »

Social conservative/fiscal liberal.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2010, 03:10:17 PM »

Social conservative/fiscal liberal =\= fascist, just as social liberal/fiscal conserative =\= anarchist.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2010, 04:04:43 PM »

Social conservative/fiscal liberal =\= fascist, just as social liberal/fiscal conserative =\= anarchist.

Yes, attempting to define any ideology by the old "liberal/conservative" and "social/fiscal" spectra really leaves much to be desired.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2010, 05:16:27 PM »

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2010, 07:32:33 PM »

Yes, attempting to define any ideology by the old "liberal/conservative" and "social/fiscal" spectra really leaves much to be desired.

Well, yes, you have people like Rudy Giuliani and John Bolton who are fascists, and also fiscal conservative/social liberals.

To put it another way, all social conservative/fiscal liberals are fascists, but not all fascists are social conservative/fiscal liberals.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2010, 09:38:11 PM »

Glad to know I'm a fascist. It explains so much: my secret love for the military, war, nationalism, racism, killing people... I guess it had to come out some time.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2010, 10:01:20 PM »

To put it another way, all social conservative/fiscal liberals are fascists, but not all fascists are social conservative/fiscal liberals.

No logic was used in the making of this post.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2010, 09:27:41 AM »

Glad to know I'm a fascist. It explains so much: my secret love for the military, war, nationalism, racism, killing people... I guess it had to come out some time.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2010, 11:10:11 AM »

No, you're not a fascist. You're a communist. Grin
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2010, 08:30:07 PM »

When did you start claiming to be a 'social conservative'?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2010, 06:27:39 AM »

When did you start claiming to be a 'social conservative'?

I'm an economic progressive, so I think I fit in wormguy's category.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies