Hamilton for Lieutenant Governor of the Pacific
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:04:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Hamilton for Lieutenant Governor of the Pacific
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Hamilton for Lieutenant Governor of the Pacific  (Read 10904 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2009, 04:38:29 AM »

I want to know why you assume I will be unable to smoothly communicate with the incumbent Governor. And cost-benefits, I believe, will point you towards myself. I do not believe we should allow Ebowed to put his GM skills to use in the Governorship should that situation ever arise.

I don't believe I said that you'd be unable to smoothly communicate, just less so than with me, although I suppose that point would be moot when the Governor changes.

I'm glad you've actually provided a specific proposal now, even if it doesn't actually have much to do with the Lt. Governor's office at all.  I'll vote for you on the presumption that you will find a use for the Lt. Governor's office beyond a title.  If you don't, I will be openly disappointed.  I do think you seem genuine.

However, I really wish you wouldn't pretend to have specific reform ideas that you don't seem to Tongue  We're a culturally casual kind of region and we don't take none of that.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2009, 09:41:40 AM »

I want to know why you assume I will be unable to smoothly communicate with the incumbent Governor. And cost-benefits, I believe, will point you towards myself. I do not believe we should allow Ebowed to put his GM skills to use in the Governorship should that situation ever arise.

I don't believe I said that you'd be unable to smoothly communicate, just less so than with me, although I suppose that point would be moot when the Governor changes.

I'm glad you've actually provided a specific proposal now, even if it doesn't actually have much to do with the Lt. Governor's office at all.  I'll vote for you on the presumption that you will find a use for the Lt. Governor's office beyond a title.  If you don't, I will be openly disappointed.  I do think you seem genuine.

However, I really wish you wouldn't pretend to have specific reform ideas that you don't seem to Tongue  We're a culturally casual kind of region and we don't take none of that.

Thank you. I promise to you and all other Pacific citizens that you will not be let down by performance.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2009, 11:18:47 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2009, 03:02:51 PM by Alcon »

I would be a little less on the cusp of being let down if I had some idea of what the legislation you were proposing was, before casting my ballot.  What kind of legislation are you in the process of writing?  I would like to get the ball rolling on this.

Edit: Not intending to be pissy, I'm sleep-deprived, but my question still stands... Tongue
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2009, 12:01:58 PM »

Endorsed.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2009, 04:53:27 PM »

I would be a little less on the cusp of being let down if I had some idea of what the legislation you were proposing was, before casting my ballot.  What kind of legislation are you in the process of writing?  I would like to get the ball rolling on this.

Edit: Not intending to be pissy, I'm sleep-deprived, but my question still stands... Tongue

I want to reform tax codes, one of my key positions being the elimination and banning of a general sales tax and food sales tax (anywhere I can check up on the status of this?), and before any "liberals" get all up in arms, sales taxes are harmful to commerce and disproportionately affect incomes as the income gets lower. To clarify, someone making $20k a year has to spend the same amount on basic necessities as someone making $50k a year. To me, that is not a fair tax system. Also, I want more environmental protections and specifically, some legislation that will help out the rapidly decreasing bee population, a keystone species. As well, protections for our rare bird species that may include anti-reflective road surfaces in certain areas to stop the birds from flying into them. This occurs a lot and may be part of the reason our rare and diverse birds in the Pacific region have dwindling populations as of late.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2009, 06:06:05 PM »

I want to reform tax codes, one of my key positions being the elimination and banning of a general sales tax and food sales tax (anywhere I can check up on the status of this?), and before any "liberals" get all up in arms, sales taxes are harmful to commerce and disproportionately affect incomes as the income gets lower. To clarify, someone making $20k a year has to spend the same amount on basic necessities as someone making $50k a year. To me, that is not a fair tax system. Also, I want more environmental protections and specifically, some legislation that will help out the rapidly decreasing bee population, a keystone species. As well, protections for our rare bird species that may include anti-reflective road surfaces in certain areas to stop the birds from flying into them. This occurs a lot and may be part of the reason our rare and diverse birds in the Pacific region have dwindling populations as of late.

Sales tax revenue is also the most prone to declining due to an economic downturn. So if you have a Surplus and 8% sales tax with no or little income taxes, you would be among the first to see that surplus turn into a deficit in a recession. In NC in RL there was talk of short-term increases to help balance the budget but long term cutting it significantly. One enlightened Democrat in our legislature even said that if we expanded the tax base by including many services which are exempt from it we could lower the overall Sales tax rate in NC from almost 7% to 4%. Another suggestion would be to exempt food and clothes from the sales tax like PA did at least till 2002 when I lived in that area.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2009, 06:17:31 PM »

Sales tax revenue is also the most prone to declining due to an economic downturn. So if you have a Surplus and 8% sales tax with no or little income taxes, you would be among the first to see that surplus turn into a deficit in a recession. In NC in RL there was talk of short-term increases to help balance the budget but long term cutting it significantly. One enlightened Democrat in our legislature even said that if we expanded the tax base by including many services which are exempt from it we could lower the overall Sales tax rate in NC from almost 7% to 4%. Another suggestion would be to exempt food and clothes from the sales tax like PA did at least till 2002 when I lived in that area.

The only taxes on individual sales that should be allowed are specific "excise" taxes, such as on cigarettes or gasoline. A general sales tax, and any food sales tax should be removed, for the reasons both of us provided.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2009, 02:00:03 PM »

Un-Endorsed.

And Anti-Endorsed.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2009, 02:36:59 PM »

Thank you.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »

I am proud that so many new Atlasians have chosen to join the Pacific region over some of our other fine regions. I hope that they, too, agree with my core message of unity and bipartisanship. I'm sure that together we can bring reform to Atlasia and the Pacific.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2009, 08:46:02 PM »

What sort of reform?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2009, 08:46:49 PM »

Tax code reform and additional environmental protections, as my first priority.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2009, 08:57:06 PM »

What would this tax code reform entail?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2009, 09:15:28 PM »

Endorsed
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2009, 09:15:44 PM »

Eliminating any general sales tax because they disproportionately affect poor people.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2009, 09:42:45 PM »

Eliminating any general sales tax because they disproportionately affect poor people.

Would you lay ouy what you'd do exactly...like as a bill
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2009, 09:50:10 PM »

I am still working out details. I will introduce it in the legislature as soon as I feel it is complete.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2009, 09:54:56 PM »

Excellent. But how do you plan on recouping this lost revenue?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2009, 09:57:30 PM »

A restructured income tax, as well as basic income tax revenue increases that will come with the jobs created by the freer flow of commerce. Without sales tax, poorer people and everyone else as well, can afford just that much more purchasing power, and jobs will be needed to produce goods to keep up with broader demand.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2009, 09:59:13 PM »

A restructured income tax, as well as basic income tax revenue increases that will come with the jobs created by the freer flow of commerce. Without sales tax, poorer people and everyone else as well, can afford just that much more purchasing power, and jobs will be needed to produce goods to keep up with broader demand.

What would a restructuring entail?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2009, 10:06:21 PM »

I am still working out those details in the legislation but I am considering raising higher income taxes just a bit, and also expanding the lottery. Nothing is for sure yet though.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2009, 12:37:25 AM »

I am still working out those details in the legislation but I am considering raising higher income taxes just a bit, and also expanding the lottery. Nothing is for sure yet though.

I see.

Moving this discussion where it belongs:

I'm sorry but Xahar is someone who's initial encounter with me involved personal attacks for no reason.

Did it really? Was it the Hitler/Stalin deal? My apologies if I did, though I don't think I fired any attacks.

No, it was because I decided to run for this seat.

Those weren't personal attacks. Those were advice.

I must say I disagree with your previous contentions about this race.

Fine, but they weren't personal attacks. Agreed? As for your disagreement, the same thing happened to me in my first race. The problem is that most of your support lies outside the region. You may end up winning, but remember that all those endorsements from prominent Atlasians don't really mean a thing in the voting booth. If you want any real chance, you'll need to be doing work behind the scenes.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2009, 12:39:02 AM »

I see.

Moving this discussion where it belongs:

I'm sorry but Xahar is someone who's initial encounter with me involved personal attacks for no reason.

Did it really? Was it the Hitler/Stalin deal? My apologies if I did, though I don't think I fired any attacks.

Fine, but they weren't personal attacks. Agreed? As for your disagreement, the same thing happened to me in my first race. The problem is that most of your support lies outside the region. You may end up winning, but remember that all those endorsements from prominent Atlasians don't really mean a thing in the voting booth. If you want any real chance, you'll need to be doing work behind the scenes.

I know that only the Pacific matters. I think that Pacific voters will see that I am truly the best candidate for this office in the end.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2009, 12:44:57 AM »

I know that only the Pacific matters. I think that Pacific voters will see that I am truly the best candidate for this office in the end.

A lot of Pacific voters aren't going to see anything except their PM from the Attorney General.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2009, 01:53:08 PM »

Why not eliminate income tax so people are not penalized for working harder and instead raise the sales tax so people pay more if they buy more? Does that just not make it easier, work harder you can keep your money, spend a lot we'll take some of it
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies