Owings closer to bid for governor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:53:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Owings closer to bid for governor
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Owings closer to bid for governor  (Read 2164 times)
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 01, 2009, 10:15:39 PM »

From the Maryland Independent.

Former state delegate George W. Owings III has formed a campaign finance account that enables him to begin raising money, bringing him one step closer to formally launching a gubernatorial bid.

The backslapping Vietnam veteran from Dunkirk who served in the House of Delegates for 16 years, serving 10 as majority whip, has floated the possibility of running against Gov. Martin O'Malley for several months.

It now appears he is on the cusp of challenging O'Malley in next year's Democratic primary.

"Before I could ask anybody for any money, before I could ask anyone to volunteer an hour for me, I had to reach a point of confidence within myself that I'm not running for running's sake, I would be running to win," Owings said, adding that no official decision has been made.

But it seems that an announcement is imminent.

Owings, who served as the state's veterans affairs secretary under Republican Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. and the first four months of O'Malley's term, opened the campaign account with the state elections board last month and said he is raising money and sharing his vision for the state with numerous groups.

"I'm circulating around on a small scale right now, collecting money, and pretty much talking to people about where we are" as a state, Owings said.

He acknowledged he has "a mountain to climb" to raise enough money to compete with O'Malley, who reported $1.9 million in campaign funds in January and has been soliciting donations and holding fundraisers throughout the year ahead of the 2010 campaign.

The filing does not list what office Owings intends to run for. The account's treasurer is Joanne Arnick, the widow of the late Del. John S. Arnick, a legendary Baltimore County Democrat who served three separate stints in the House spanning five decades.

Should Owings decide to run against O'Malley, he knows it won't sit well with Democratic Party powerbrokers and some friends in Annapolis. But the straight-shooting Harley Davidson enthusiast doesn't hide his displeasure for the direction the state is headed under O'Malley.

"I do have a bag of stones and I do believe in throwing them out where needed," he said. "I'm offering up what's wrong and how I would go about fixing it to small groups."

He took particular exception with O'Malley's failure to attend the American Legion Department of Maryland's annual summer meeting several weeks ago in Ocean City. Lt. Gov. Anthony G. Brown, an Iraq war veteran, appeared on behalf of the administration, but Owings griped that he spent only a short time.

O'Malley is also disrespecting veterans groups by having one person — James A. Adkins — serve the dual Cabinet roles of veterans affairs secretary and adjutant general, Owings said.

"It just seems to me that of all the departments that if there were two departments that deserved a full-time secretary, it would be those two departments," he said, noting that he has great respect for Adkins, who served as Owings' deputy when he led veterans affairs. "It bothers me that the governor doesn't think any more of those two departments that he tries to work one man to death."

An O'Malley spokesman said the arrangement with Adkins heading two departments is temporary and that there is an active search to find a permanent veterans affairs secretary.

Adkins will remain as adjutant general.

"The administration is very close to announcing a replacement, but the timeline is not based on any political will," said O'Malley press secretary Shaun Adamec. "It's based on the desire to find the right candidate."

He said he has drawn up a plan to close the state's long-term gap between expenditures and revenues, but declined to give specifics, only saying that "some ideas are substantive in nature and will require voter approval in a referendum."
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 10:30:41 PM »

Does he have a chance of winning?  Or could he just spoil the GE for O'Malley?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 10:37:08 PM »

He has a chance, O'Malley is EXTREMELY unpopular, even in the MD Democratic party.  And if O'Malley beats him I doubt the GOPer wins either way.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 06:48:30 AM »

Great, just what we need, William Donald Schaefer #2.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 08:39:53 PM »

He has a chance, O'Malley is EXTREMELY unpopular, even in the MD Democratic party.  And if O'Malley beats him I doubt the GOPer wins either way.

Has Maryland ever had a popular governor?

People talk about New Jersey, but Tawes, Agnew, Schaefer, Ehrlich are just a few that come to mind and now O'Malley.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 09:07:54 PM »

Has Maryland ever had a popular governor?

People talk about New Jersey, but Tawes, Agnew, Schaefer, Ehrlich are just a few that come to mind and now O'Malley.

We had Ritchie... No but really the last good one we had was Hughes, he left office in '87.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies