Redistribution is coming up...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:35:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Redistribution is coming up...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Redistribution is coming up...  (Read 2426 times)
deansherratt
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2009, 11:29:30 AM »

Federally it will take awhile and msut await the 2011 Census. I know the Conservatives have amended the formula to create a few more ridings in Ontario but an interesting question will be if they will preside over their creation.

I am sure that the Commission didn't work to prevent the creation of Conservative seats in Toronto - but their random efforts paid off brilliantly for the Liberals. Every large centre of Conservative polls seen in the 2008 election is separated by a greater bloc of Liberal polls. In central Toronto, you might have a Conservative riding based on North Toronto/Don Valley if the incredibly Liberal eastern polls were hived off. So too, a predominatly Jewish riding based on Eglinton Lawrence and York Centre would have elected a Conservative MP in 2008, had not very strongly Liberal italian polls not prevented this. As it was, both ridings were the most strongly Conservative in the city. 
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 07:58:27 PM »

It will be interesting to see how it turns out.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 08:13:30 PM »

Once we get all the poll maps in, we can begin to gerrymander some districts.

One thing will be for sure, there is no way you're getting a Conservative seat in Montreal, unless you got house by house results
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 09:16:46 PM »

Once we get all the poll maps in, we can begin to gerrymander some districts.

One thing will be for sure, there is no way you're getting a Conservative seat in Montreal, unless you got house by house results

Even then, that will not be enough.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 10:23:34 PM »

Please put Saskatoon in one riding. Or, at least, have a Saskatoon riding.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 03:13:49 AM »

Please put Saskatoon in one riding. Or, at least, have a Saskatoon riding.

They tried, but the population opposed during public consultations. There was three urban ridings in Saskatoon and two in Regina.

Regina was splitted in the rural seat of Qu'Appelle and the urban seat of Wascana and Pasqua. (not the Pasqua of 80's gerrymandering in France)

Saskatoon was splitted in Broadway, Meewasin and Idylwyld. (Hi, Al, I suppose, with that name. Sounds welsh.)
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 12:25:57 PM »

How about the possible riding of Montreal-Est-La Beauce...
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 12:27:21 PM »

I don't suppose Canada has some map applet like Geoclip.fr with maps and population numbers for all municipalities, divisions and so forth?
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 12:38:49 PM »

Ironically, when they first brought in the rural-urban ridings (in the post-1991 round, I believe), they were criticized as being a pro-NDP gerrymander, because they would dilute Reform's rural strength.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 04:50:15 PM »

I don't suppose Canada has some map applet like Geoclip.fr with maps and population numbers for all municipalities, divisions and so forth?

Oh dear. You've not been to Statistics Canada's website? Geosearch is from the Gods themselves.

I plan on experimenting with some gerrymandered districts in Ottawa. Sandy Hill and the market belong in Ottawa Centre, while Carlington and maybe Carleton Heights should be given to Ottawa West-Nepean. Beacon Hill South can go to Ottawa-Vanier. I'm not sure why those two neightbouhoods (Beacon Hill and Carlington) were split up...
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 05:20:56 PM »

How about the possible riding of Montreal-Est-La Beauce...

Beauce is near Quebec City, not Montreal.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 05:27:01 PM »

Oh dear. You've not been to Statistics Canada's website? Geosearch is from the Gods themselves.

What is Geosearch?
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 09:07:23 PM »

If I need to create a Montreal riding, Beauce is close enough...if all I need to do is connect highways and occasional hamlets in between!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 09:12:16 PM »

If I need to create a Montreal riding, Beauce is close enough...if all I need to do is connect highways and occasional hamlets in between!

There is 300 kilometers between those two.
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 09:15:54 PM »

Dear Senator...Do look at some US districts which can achieve quite similar results (but of course I was making the suggestion tongue in cheek).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 09:19:33 PM »

Dear Senator...Do look at some US districts which can achieve quite similar results (but of course I was making the suggestion tongue in cheek).

MaxQue, not Senator, who is a stupid title from Atlasia.

Yes, but 300 kilometers? Canada ridings are much less populated than US districts and South Shore is not that unpopulated. The problem is Montreal suburbs, heavily populated and heavily Bloquiste.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 09:24:43 PM »

The best district would be joining Oklahoma with Beauce. Similar intelligence levels.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 01:37:29 AM »

What is Geosearch?

Oh dear me...

http://geodepot.statcan.ca/GeoSearch2006/GeoSearch2006.jsp?resolution=H&lang=E&otherLang=F
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 01:58:57 AM »

What is Geosearch?

Oh dear me...

http://geodepot.statcan.ca/GeoSearch2006/GeoSearch2006.jsp?resolution=H&lang=E&otherLang=F

Well, they hidden it deeply into Statistics Canada's website. And that is bilingual!

On second thought, French is a official language and Statictics Canada is the government.
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 06:12:23 PM »

Looking at it seriously, there are not likely to be many changes. Quebec is likely to retain its 75 seats by the current formula...some rural seats might get squeezed while some larger urban ridings might shed some territory but I wouldn't expect anything drastic.

Why the critiques of our Beauceans (or Beauceists?)? Francophone and Federalist.
trebor204
TREBOR204

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 08:30:07 PM »

My understanding is that the formula to calculate seats will change following the 2011 Census.
Right now only BC, Alberta and Ontario will gain seats (using the proposed formula) The remaining provinces won't gain or lose any seats. Unless a province sees a major increase in population (ie Millions) between now and 2011.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2009, 09:17:23 PM »

My understanding is that the formula to calculate seats will change following the 2011 Census.
Right now only BC, Alberta and Ontario will gain seats (using the proposed formula) The remaining provinces won't gain or lose any seats. Unless a province sees a major increase in population (ie Millions) between now and 2011.

No, Harper proposed a change, but this is not yet a law.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies