Top Ten Failed Candidates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:43:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Top Ten Failed Candidates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Top Ten Failed Candidates  (Read 11256 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009, 11:25:52 AM »

4) Bobby Kennedy, 1968 I iwsh he never died, he would've been the BEST democrat  to EVER hold the title of president

You prove your stupidity more and more everyday. Bobby would have been much worse than his classier, more logical, and more experienced brother. Also, what about Presidents such as Bill Clinton and Grover Cleveland and Harry Truman. Do you honestly think Bobby could have had a term anywhere near as good as one of those three. You are in over your head with that statement.

Erm, Bill Clinton's term wasn't that good.
I think he was the best president since Johnson, possibly since Kennedy. And possibly the best president for the economy EVER.

Yes, signing legislation produced by a conservative Republican congress does make him a good economic president. Good point.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2009, 11:27:48 AM »

4) Bobby Kennedy, 1968 I iwsh he never died, he would've been the BEST democrat  to EVER hold the title of president

You prove your stupidity more and more everyday. Bobby would have been much worse than his classier, more logical, and more experienced brother. Also, what about Presidents such as Bill Clinton and Grover Cleveland and Harry Truman. Do you honestly think Bobby could have had a term anywhere near as good as one of those three. You are in over your head with that statement.

He signed numerous compromises and reforms produced by or with Republicans. DOMA, DADT, NAFTA, Welfare Reform, Balanced Budget, etc. Now I don't necessarily agree with all of those legislative policies, but there is a decent record he left. More so than a Democrat like Jimmy Carter or Woodrow Wilson.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009, 11:44:37 AM »

(I can only think of 5 but here it goes)

1. Theodore Roosevelt, 1912: Teddy would have handled the First World War extremely well, I think he would have made an even more excellent president then he is now. If he had succeeded in winning a third and fourth term, he may be only second to Washington and Lincoln in presidential greatness.

2. John McCain, 2000: Would have been a great president, I can just see it now: Osama captured in 2001, The formation of the league of democracies, Strong economic growth while leaving office. What could have been...   

3. Al Smith, 1932: The right man in desperate times. I think he would have made the right desicions for to solve the depression, combining some of FDR's much needed reforms, with a fiscal conservative brain.

4.  Thomas E. Dewey, 1948: He would have made an exceptional President. I'm a big fan of Truman, but Dewey would have been good also.

5. George H.W. Bush, 1992: Letting Bush serve the rest of term would have been nice. But thanks for rescuing those two journalists, Bill.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2009, 11:53:41 AM »

Three biggest failures:

Thomas E. Dewey (1948), a man who was considered a shoo-in, but after he takes all for granted, he blew it up

Michael Dukakis (1988), from double-dights lead to landslide loss

Al Gore (2000), altought he's me hero Smiley and still won a popular vote, he ran an extremally lackluster campaign. He could eaisly beat Dubya but did moved his a**
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2009, 02:46:02 PM »

1. Robert Kennedy-1968
2. Dick Gephardt-1988/2004
3. Ted Kennedy-1980
4. Al Smith-1928
5. William Jennings Bryan-1896/1900/1908
6. Winfield Scott Hancock-1880
7. Scoop Jackson-1972/1976
8. Teddy Roosevelt-1912
9. Harry Truman-1952
10. Estes Kefauver-1952/1956

DS0816
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2009, 05:11:05 PM »

I'm sticking with just five…

1) John Kerry (2004) — no way should that election have been lost (to this nation's most shameful presidency)
2) Thomas Dewey (1948) — presumed, devastatingly, that he would win
3) Al Gore (2000) — out of touch to the point he failed to realize he was in danger of losing his home state (which came to manifest)
4) Herbert Hoover (1932) — the most epic defeat of an incumbent president
5) William Howard Taft and Teddy Roosevelt (1912) — Woodrow Wilson couldn't thank them enough
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2009, 05:20:52 PM »

I think he was the best president since Johnson, possibly since Kennedy. And possibly the best president for the economy EVER.

Economic conservatives love Clinton because all his reform attempts failed. In fact, the ideal Libertarian president is a total do-nothing. Tongue
aaaa2222
yoman82

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2009, 09:12:44 PM »

Economic conservatives love Clinton because all his reform attempts failed. In fact, the ideal Libertarian president is a total do-nothing. Tongue
Indeed, who balances the budget and protects the liberties of the people. I've got some other ideas for my ideal president, though, including expanding environmental protection and the national park system.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2009, 10:50:33 PM »

Bobby was Pro-Israel, and a Kennedy. That's all I need to know about Bobby. And enough to make me support him.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2009, 11:03:20 PM »

Bobby was Pro-Israel, and a Kennedy. That's all I need to know about Bobby. And enough to make me support him.

Okay. That doesn't validate your first statement though.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2009, 11:44:26 PM »

1)Eugene McCarthy, 1968: Even more so than the overrated Robert Kennedy. This man was the real friggin McCoy who first grew the balls to stand up to the War in Vietnam. He was also one of the strongest defenders of American civil liberties this nation ever had.
2)George McGovern, 1972: Abortion, Amnesty, Acid. What else?
3)Fred Harris, 1976: Would've been the friendliest president ever, he offered people a free stay at the White House if he got elected president for letting him stay at their houses while campaigning! Plus, I'm a hack for Okie progressives.
4)Howard Baker, 1980: If this man was nominated instead of Reagan, the GOP would've been known as the "middle of the road sane party" and the Democrats would be known as "those left wing wackos", instead of vice versa.
5)Adlai Stevenson II, 1952 and 1956: The Cold War would've been handled with alot more class and less threats of nuclear holocaust and scaremongering if he had been president and he would've put Southern Democrats in their place possibly resulting in an end to Segregation and the advancement of Civil Rights sooner than IOTL.
6)Robert Taft, 1940, 1948, and 1952: Would've scaled back the size of government tremendously and kept our asses out of foreign affairs while respecting civil liberties.
7)Ross Perot, 1992 and maybe 1996:If he had won, it would've been the most powerful indictment against the corrupt two-party system who have given up this nation to special interests over individual rights, even if he is a protectionist douchebag.
8 )William Howard Taft, 1912: If it weren't for Teddy's bigass ego getting in the way, he might've prevented eight horrible years of Woodrow Wilson.
9)Charles Evan Hughes, 1916: Guy would've saved America from four more years of the Woodrow Wilson nightmare.
10)Howard Dean, 2004: Had the balls to call out the Bush Administration's stance on the War in Iraq and the Patriot Act before any of the other Democratic front runners did. If he had made it to the general election there is no doubt in my mind he would've stood by his statements unlike "Flip Flop" John Kerry.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2009, 04:22:19 PM »

Okay. That doesn't validate your first statement though.

Bobby would have been a very good president. He likely would have taken greater efforts to end the war in Vietnam, combat poverty at home, and make the transition to the globalized economy a whole lot smoother. Would he have been perfect? No. But he would have been far better than any of the Democrats since JFK (Obama maybe)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2009, 06:11:53 PM »

Indeed, who balances the budget and protects the liberties of the people. I've got some other ideas for my ideal president, though, including expanding environmental protection and the national park system.

Since it's an intervention of the State, libertarians should be against environmental protection, as they are against economical or social protection. Anyways, I agree with you that Clinton was a quite good President, though not an amazing one.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2009, 07:27:04 PM »

Since it's an intervention of the State, libertarians should be against environmental protection, as they are against economical or social protection. Anyways, I agree with you that Clinton was a quite good President, though not an amazing one.

Surprise surprise! Most libertarians I know (myself included) subscribe to the ideal "your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins". Environmental protection laws, like preventing pollution in populated areas, could be seen as "libertarian" in that they prevent one person from "swinging their fist into somebody' else's nose". I don't believe there is any for sure libertarian answer on this issue, which is why the LP is pretty divided on this issue (like abortion). Some people (Mary Ruwart, Steven Kubby) suggest giving landowners complete authority to sue polluters on their lands while guys like Wayne Allyn Root are "Drill! Drill! Drill!"
There is more to being a libertarian than just "urrr state intervention is super evil". I realize the importance of taxes to fund some stuff like roads and public libraries (hardcores shut up, the public library is where I got a real education, not in our joke of a public school system).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2009, 07:34:18 PM »

Surprise surprise! Most libertarians I know (myself included) subscribe to the ideal "your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins". Environmental protection laws, like preventing pollution in populated areas, could be seen as "libertarian" in that they prevent one person from "swinging their fist into somebody' else's nose". I don't believe there is any for sure libertarian answer on this issue, which is why the LP is pretty divided on this issue (like abortion). Some people (Mary Ruwart, Steven Kubby) suggest giving landowners complete authority to sue polluters on their lands while guys like Wayne Allyn Root are "Drill! Drill! Drill!"
There is more to being a libertarian than just "urrr state intervention is super evil". I realize the importance of taxes to fund some stuff like roads and public libraries (hardcores shut up, the public library is where I got a real education, not in our joke of a public school system).

Thanks for those explanations. Smiley Libertarian ideology interests me and intrigues me at the same time. I totally agree with it on some issues, but I also find it really idealistic sometimes.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2009, 08:44:33 PM »

1) George McGovern in 1972
2) Jimmy Carter in 1980- No Reagan!
3) Walter Mondale in 1984- No [more] Reagan!
4) Mike Dukakis in 1988- No Dubya, most likely.
5) Adlai Stevenson in 1952- Ike wasn't bad, but Stevenson was just as moderate and more progressive on Civil Rights.
6) Adlai Stevenson in 1956- Same reason.
7) Al Gore in 2000, for the obvious reason.
Cool Jerry Brown in 1976- If only 'cause I'm writing an alternative history on another site with the premise, and I'd love to see how it turned out in real life.

In the interests of bipartisanship, a few token Republicans:

9) The non-crazy 2000 version of John McCain
10) Thomas Dewey. I like Truman, but Dewey was a good guy.

Yes, ive seen it, and demand you post it here. Angry ..................................... Tongue
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2009, 09:09:23 PM »

I knew I forgot somebody!
5) Adlai Stevenson in 1952- Ike wasn't bad, but Stevenson was just as moderate and more progressive on Civil Rights.
Cool Jerry Brown in 1976- If only 'cause I'm writing an alternative history on another site with the premise, and I'd love to see how it turned out in real life.

Yes, ive seen it, and demand you post it here. Angry ..................................... Tongue
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2009, 10:31:45 PM »

The one term Senator brother?  Surely you can't have intentionally put "classy" and "logical" in the same sentence as one describing Ted.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2009, 09:22:41 AM »

I would, but I fear the electoral sections aren't detailed enough to hold up to scrutiny. I can't remember if I ever used popular vote numbers.

Well Garrison does use numbers and he still stinks, so I say go for it!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies