Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 12:19:44 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Off-topic Board (Moderators: Torie, The Mikado, Badger)
| | |-+  What have you eaten for dinner?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 66 Print
Author Topic: What have you eaten for dinner?  (Read 109818 times)
Grumpy Old Fart
GM3PRP
YaBB God
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: June 28, 2012, 12:55:51 pm »
Ignore

Nobody cared that I ate a frog.

Honestly bro, it kind of grossed me out.

Its quite delicious, seriously.  Essentially sectioned legs - a lot of bones for the meat content, but tasty, in a curry.

So tonight I won't mention my dinner, but what we ate with before dinner with aperitif - at sunset we were drinking 'iced beer' (beer kept so cold it turns into a kind of gel) and with it we ate 1) a plate of very fine, hard, salty French sausage (it was also quite red, don't know what it was), 2) a plate of 'crying tiger beef' - delicious super fatty beef belly meat grilled and served with a peppery dipping sauce, and 3) a bit of 'larp mu' - a pork larp or Isaan style salad of meat and herbs, with a little bit of pork skin and liver.  Wow, what a wonderful time.  I was tipsy and really enjoyed the meats, but still had room for dinner later.

Oh I don't mind if you mention frog...I'm past it now Smiley

And let's be honest, Obama could take a selfie of his junk in the bathroom mirror with his BlackBerry, have it transferred to canvas and you'd have people saying it ought to be hung in the National Gallery.

Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: June 28, 2012, 03:13:45 pm »
Ignore

A medium-sized pizza from Snappy Tomato Pizza. It looked like this (without the toppings):

Lief
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: June 28, 2012, 05:38:34 pm »
Ignore

I just had my wisdom teeth out, so a bowl of mashed potatoes.

memphis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: June 28, 2012, 11:18:24 pm »
Ignore

I made a lazy beef stew. Potatoes, corn, lima beans, carrots, beef, water, spaghetti sauce. Pretty good with crusty bread.

I cannot do anything good under my own power. 
I will get up and move around every now and then so I reduce the chances to get hit with another Grade 8 headache in the morning.
Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1054 on: June 28, 2012, 11:31:52 pm »
Ignore

A chicken quesadilla with left over chicken and mozzarella cheese because we were out of four blend cheese.  Still good though!

You're Atlas experience will be 100x better if you turn signatures off. Trust me.
fezzyfestoon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: June 29, 2012, 12:54:45 am »
Ignore

Chicken parm tonight. Finally starting to get back on track with fresh food and a diversified diet now that I've found a butcher. I had sooooo little protein coming in for a while I though I was gonna wither away!
ask_not
donavan_ed
View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: June 29, 2012, 06:15:25 pm »
Ignore

am going to skip dinner.tonight only though.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: June 30, 2012, 01:46:46 pm »
Ignore

am going to skip dinner.tonight only though.

Well thank goodness its only for tonight.

I had a fine meal at a local 'hi-end' restaurant, which is a mix of Thai and Chinese-Thai cuisine - the sort of restaurant that when you walk in you see many local business people, and they're all saying 'sawadee cap' and 'sawadee ca ajarn', and everybody's waiing like crazy.  Its really amazing how much a part of this community I've become.

Anyway, we were a group of five, and we had a big fire-pot of 'po-teag', a kind of very spicy seafood soup with loads of shrimp, squid, fish and mystery items, with a very difficult to explain or pin-down broth - different from all other Thai soups.  Maybe tomatoey?  I'm no expert but I know I love it.  We also had a lovely fried snake-head fish, a platter of 'cashew chicken' - a bit different from that served in the US, but you wouldn't find it bizarre - an order of 'fish maw' - which is in fact a delicious, light dish made of fish's air-bladders, mushrooms, bean sprouts, and fluffy scrambled egg, an order of 'mu-manao' or pork-in-lime-juice, which is sauted pork covered in lime with fresh raw very cold (supposed to be iced) vegetables, and a yellow curry with big prawns. 

All delicious, and washed down with loads of beer, various 'lady drinks' (like this wine-cooler type things), and Coke for myself, at this hi-so restaurant the price was a little stiff at about $10/person, but I wasn't paying so it didn't bother me.

A couple of photos of stir fried fish air-bladders:

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Grumpy Old Fart
GM3PRP
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: July 01, 2012, 04:44:00 pm »
Ignore

Went to a Portugese restaurant last night.

Artichoke hearts stuffed with crabmeat and shrip in an amazing sauce.

Gazpatcho

Chilean sea bass in a caper and lemon sauce.

And let's be honest, Obama could take a selfie of his junk in the bathroom mirror with his BlackBerry, have it transferred to canvas and you'd have people saying it ought to be hung in the National Gallery.

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: July 01, 2012, 05:01:18 pm »
Ignore

Sounds lovely Gramps.  Tonight I ate at my most regular haunt, where I had a big section of a fish (cross section) deep fried, served with an unripe-papaya salad/sauce - spicy and sour.  Really amazing dish, reminded me that we always eat cole slaw with fried fish back home.  In addition I had second fish dish - a stir-fry with lots of celery-like vegetables and little chunks of I believe the same fish, and a delicate stir-fry of mushrooms and slivers of pork.

This restaurant is sort of 'cafeteria style', in that there is a selection of around 10 or so dishes and you chose simply by pointing.  I also had a desert somewhat like tapioca, with bits of coconut flesh and corn in it.

Total bill, washed down with free water - about $2.85

Sheriff Buford TX Justice
AndrewCT
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: July 01, 2012, 06:18:39 pm »
Ignore

I'm probably going to re-heat some beef enchiladas that I made last week. Get them done with before they go bad. I'll make some cilantro lime rice to go with it too.

My parents are pretty good about smelling a rat. 
Let me put this as clear as I can (saying this to myself, as well, so I can see it): I WILL get a job with CADD and I WILL keep the job.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: July 02, 2012, 07:26:10 am »
Ignore

I'm probably going to re-heat some beef enchiladas that I made last week. Get them done with before they go bad. I'll make some cilantro lime rice to go with it too.

Did you 'make' them or were they from the can?  I used to eat canned something in Missouri - I think they were enchiladas - kind of corn casings and beef inside.

only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: July 02, 2012, 07:28:57 am »
Ignore

Nobody cared that I ate a frog.
Not unless it was one of our frog posters.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: July 02, 2012, 07:45:22 pm »
Ignore

I cooked tonight! I had grilled Italian turkey sausage, PBR braised cabbage with bacon, tomato pie and cucumber and tomato salad.
Sheriff Buford TX Justice
AndrewCT
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: July 03, 2012, 12:24:19 pm »
Ignore

Did you 'make' them or were they from the can?  I used to eat canned something in Missouri - I think they were enchiladas - kind of corn casings and beef inside.

Made them. It's something else that comes canned.. I think it's tamales that come canned.

My parents are pretty good about smelling a rat. 
Let me put this as clear as I can (saying this to myself, as well, so I can see it): I WILL get a job with CADD and I WILL keep the job.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: July 14, 2012, 02:01:27 pm »
Ignore

I think it's tamales that come canned.

You're exactly right - I ate Tamales in a can.

But tonight I was out with a big group of foreigners.. about six I guess.  We ate kind of high-end 'farang food' or European food.. mine was:
1 - a gin tonic
2 - big glass of white wine that lasted me through the meal
3 - a salad with deviled eggs on top (nice dill in the eggs)
4 - an odd sort of gnocchi dish with a filet of fish underneath, all quite garlicky
5 - an espresso

Total bill, 500 baht or about $15.85

ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: July 14, 2012, 09:37:51 pm »
Ignore

Turkey, and cooked cinnamon apples.

If a burial strikes my family as too practical, I'd go for either a viking funeral on one of the Great Lakes or to be sealed up in a tomb with my closest servants and bang-maids so they may wait on my every need in the afterlife.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: July 27, 2012, 07:31:22 pm »
Ignore

Last night I had a lovely rib-eye steak with a Roquefort sauce, various vegetables, and fries, preceded by a terrine, and followed by a raspberry pudding.  With a small carafe of red wine and an espresso this came to about $12.50 if I remember rightly.

Tonight at a similar but slightly higher end French restaurant down the soi I had a similar meal - a terrine, a chicken breast stuffed with Chorizo in a spicy sauce, veggies and mashed potatoes, and a 'floating island' desert, also washed down with one glass of red wine and an espresso.  This time the total was about $19.

For tonight I've ordered the special 24 hours in advance mussels boil at the first place, can't wait!

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.52

View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: July 29, 2012, 12:54:01 am »
Ignore

Chicken pot pie. My love.

only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: August 01, 2012, 05:07:16 am »
Ignore

Scrambled eggs with tomatoes, chives and chunks of feta mixed in. And an onion, obviously.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: August 02, 2012, 12:51:42 pm »
Ignore

I had a lovely Southern dinner - a kind of rich, slightly sour, moderately spicy souplike curry with very small, buttery-flavoured fish in it, a spicy 'sat-aw' curry with shrimps and bits of chicken thigh, along with onion and of course 'sataw', over rice, and a soft, delicious soup of bamboo shoots, large black mushroom-heads, and small pork ribs.

Total bill was quite high for this type of restaurant - about $3, because I ordered extra of the wonderful little fish - one was even full of eggs!  wow, so good.

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: August 03, 2012, 01:34:27 pm »
Ignore

A lovely steak dinner tonight - but like most really good steaks in upcountry towns, it has to be a pork steak (or pork chop) as beef is substandard here.

Two nice porksteaks (or boneless pork chops, I think), with sides of sweet corn, spinach, french fries, carrots, and two sauces - one pepper, one mushroom.  Washed it down with red wine (alas bad), for a total bill of about $6.30.

Grumpy Old Fart
GM3PRP
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: August 03, 2012, 01:55:10 pm »
Ignore

Man I missed these updates during my convalescence.

R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -7.48

View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: August 03, 2012, 09:24:37 pm »
Ignore

Buffalo chicken pizza with about 4 Cokes whilst playing Halo and singing songs with friends...

i like girls but there is NOTHING better then a sexi hott dude
Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: 5.91

View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: August 04, 2012, 08:23:24 am »
Ignore

This thread is opebo bragging about how cheap good food is in Thailand.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 66 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout