Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 21, 2014, 04:46:30 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Off-topic Board (Moderators: Torie, Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC, The Mikado)
| | |-+  What have you eaten for dinner?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 66 Print
Author Topic: What have you eaten for dinner?  (Read 100159 times)
Smash255
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2009, 12:48:49 am »
Ignore

Very sad that it will not be Five Guys

I have two near me, one in Levittown and another one that opened a few months back in Amityville.  Very good

President Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2009, 01:09:16 am »
Ignore

Mesclun salad with a vinaigrette and tomatoes, roasted chicken with almond couscous. I also had some sort of vegetable, but that has slipped my mind. 

Hotter than a middle eastern climate
President Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2009, 01:10:53 am »
Ignore

Crab, tomato and tarragon soup with a chicken salad, field greens, and tomato sandwich on wheat bread.

The meals you describe sound decent, and roughly similar to what I eat when at home (with the parents).  We always eat that kind of food in restaurants though - do you dine out or in?

A little bit of both. We have a lot of excellent locally owned restaurants in this area, so the choices are ample. I do eat at home often though.

Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2009, 02:09:13 am »
Ignore

Rice, potatoes, and an unidentifiable meat. It tasted like goat, but we haven't bought any goat in years (as far as I know).
You have et human flesh, my good man.

Hmm. Didn't taste spectacular.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2009, 02:10:30 am »
Ignore

food
Sensei
senseiofj324
YaBB God
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2009, 02:12:08 am »
Ignore

Rice, potatoes, and an unidentifiable meat. It tasted like goat, but we haven't bought any goat in years (as far as I know).

It's all about the preparation.

Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2009, 02:23:06 am »
Ignore

It's all about the preparation.

I hear they do it good in Japan.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 02:26:24 am by Wyatt Chеsney »Logged

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2009, 06:07:05 am »
Ignore

food

No kidding? You eat food?

Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
Vatican City State
View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2009, 08:55:28 am »
Ignore

Last night I stuffed banana peppers with a wonderful ground meat mixture, added tomato sauce and cheese and baked it for 40 minutes.......the sauce was used for pasta after it was cooked......mmmmmm
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2009, 03:22:53 pm »
Ignore

A delicious pungent and spicy sauce based on fish, served with steamed fresh vegetables (a kind of small zucinni, miniature eggplants no bigger than walnuts, and cabbage), plus a penang pork curry, and small bananas in sweetened coconut milk for desert.

I forgot to tell about yesterdays - it included a large fish-head!

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
YaBB God
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2009, 03:26:07 pm »
Ignore

Alright tonight I'm having Five Guys Smiley

Gov. Christopher J. Christie
angus
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 1.87, S: -7.65

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2009, 04:22:43 pm »
Ignore

Going to pile in the car and hit the Ole Dusty Trail muy temprano en la maņana, so we're trying to finish all that's left in the fridge.  Got a pound of shrimp, some beef, corn, carrots, a half of a globe of garlic, spices, rice, some store-bought potato salad, corn chips, half an avocado, three serranos, two jalapeņos, a couple of pints of yogurt, two of those Olde Main Brewing Company ales, purple grapes, a few bagels, a green popsicle, a red popsicle, a few ounces of seaweed, several ounces of the Heart O' Iowa habanero sauce, a few mushrooms, and a tiny bit of fish paste.  My wife's in there whipping up a meal as I type. 

I've had enough of the sea for a while.  I dived four tanks, three at sunken ships.  And I spent every morning from about 10ish to noonish and every evening from about 6ish to 9ish on the beach chasing after the boy.  And there's that in-between 12 and 6 time when it's too goddamned hot and humid to go outside, so we either hole up in the central air-conditioned condo watching re-runs of curious George or throwing Bakugan characters at the walls, or stumbling through the local shopping malls looking for cheap Chinese-made Florida souvenirs that say "Panama City Beach."  Talk about Redneck:  It's hard to find a shot glass that doesn't say something like "Get Drunk; Get Laid." (punctuation optional) or "Wanna Screw?" (except that the screw is actually a drawing of a wood screw.) or "Let's monkey around."  (with a crude drawing of one ape--note the absence of tails--performing oral sex on another ape.)

Just after lunch I braved the sun and walked down to the liquor store a few blocks east of here, along the beach, and bought a nice Doņa Paula 2007 Argentine malbec.  It was lukewarm by the time I got it back to the condo, so I set it in the vegetable compartment of the fridge for a bit.  It seems to be about 65ish now, perfect for consumption.  In fact, I think I'll open it as soon as I make this post. 

Cheers.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2009, 11:12:41 am »
Ignore

1. A spicy salad with small minced 'winged beans' - kind of like a green been with ridges or 'wings', shrimps and squid, minced pork, lots of peppers, onion, herbs. 
2. Mu Manao (or lime pork) - pork chunks marinated in a lime sauce with peppers and herbs, with a large helping of iced, super crunchy raw 'chinese broccoli' stalks.
3. Deep fried 'tempura' (not really tempura but the lighter Thai version) morning glory with a spicy dipping sauce full of seafood, minced pork, and a bit of peanut.   The 'sauce' is like a meal in itself.
4. Crab fried rice.
+ Coke and water, a huge meal for two in a fancy place (air con and live music) = $10.

To be correct we really should have ordered a soup, however.

??????????
StatesRights
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2009, 06:53:54 pm »
Ignore

Delicious!
muon2
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2009, 07:16:09 pm »
Ignore

I made soup tonight. I started by roasting thin sliced garlic in olive oil, then frying bread in the oil. Chicken stock, salt, pepper, and hot paprika go in to simmer with the broken bread pieces. Beaten eggs are added near the end with parsley to garnish. Buttered whole wheat baguette slices, a small salad, and a cold glass of Macon Villages completed the table.

Lunar Eclipse of April 15, 2014 with the star Spica.
angus
YaBB God
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2009, 09:59:37 pm »
Ignore

I love this thread.

States, the crabs and corn look delicious.  So does what opebo described.  And muon's culinary artistry is simple yet refined.

We made it in about 6pm.  After two days driving, North by Northwest.

Good to be home.  We stopped in Tuscaloosa at a favorite Chinese shop, and again in Iowa City, the following day and many, many miles later at another favorite Asian shop, and we picked up many delicacies.  Mao Po sauce, chili garlic sauce, other sauces I can't pronounce right (think:  Lieutenant Commander Warf describing his meal to Commander Riker), three kinds of dried mushrooms, two kinds of dried bracket fungi, two kinds of fresh mushrooms, fish balls, meat balls, pork balls, many bottles of Pearl River Bridge Superior Soy Sauce, mango paste, fish paste, and a whole bunch of other shit. 

Anyway, it's nice to be home.  Had a delicious home cooked meal tonight.  Call it Pupu tray if you like, or "hot pot," if you prefer.  We call it soup.  It's the sort of thing that's hard to come by in the USA, even in larger cities, unless you love the cook, and it's the sort of thing that's cheap and easy to find from the soup vendors in the Disneyworld atmosphere just outside any Confucian temple in any city in China.  Sans the live, tiny, soft-shelled, freshwater shrimp jumping into the pot just before they're ready to eat.  That we just couldn't find.  Even in Alabama.  But otherwise it was perfect.  Even the whole house reeked of China for a while.  Till I opened a few windows.  (That's the other thing I like about the Upper Midwest compared to the Gulf Coast.  You can actually open a window in August and still feel comfortable.)

Washed it all down with a hearty Spanish rioja.

Vacation's nice, but it's good to be back.  We'll worry about the laundry and the lawn tomorrow.
Snowguy716
snowguy716
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -8.52

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2009, 10:06:34 pm »
Ignore

I had Pastrami on rye with good full strength mustard, swiss cheese, and sauerkraut with a root beer float (hence the root beer thread)

"Above and beyond the question of how to grow the economy there is a legitimate concern about how to grow the quality of our lives."
-Paul Wellstone

Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party
President Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2009, 10:10:26 pm »
Ignore

Ugh. I had no dinner tonight, but for lunch I had a caprese salad along with crab cake benedict with two poached eggs, hash browns and fruit.

angus
YaBB God
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2009, 10:23:48 pm »
Ignore

good full strength mustard

Hebrew or Pulaski?  I can go either way, but I usually go with Walmart's Great Value Brown Mustard.  Not too bad for eighty-nine cents per 12-ounce contaner.  Some textural inhomogeneities, but you can always expect that from a full-strength mustard.  I don't care for the dijon, although I once used to carry around a jar of Grey Poupon in my car just in case anyone pulled up next to me at a stoplight and asked whether I had any. 

Great Value makes a decent mayonnaise as well.  I'm not too picky about mayonnaise, but I don't care for the really cheap stuff.  And I find that among the cheap mayonnaise Walmart's store brand real mayonnaise is as good as the major mass-produced mayonnaises.

Incidentally, I've always like mayonnaise on the slice with the tomatos, cucumbers, etc., and mustard on the slice with the meat, cheese, jalapenos, mushrooms, etc.  Whether it's a wheatbread, bagel, english muffin, or good old white boy wonderbread, and whether it's corned beef, hamburger, beef, ostrich, whatever meat, that's what I generally do.  I wonder if others follow that motif.  Although I admit that on hotdogs, french fries, corn dogs, onion rings, fish filets, and all that stuff I'm strictly a mayonnaise man.  (My sister prefers mustard on her fries, dogs, rings, and fish sandwiches.  French's at that.  And I know others who like it that way.)

Big world.  It takes all kinds.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2009, 07:52:05 am »
Ignore

Incidentally, I've always like mayonnaise on the slice with the tomatos, cucumbers, etc., and mustard on the slice with the meat, cheese, jalapenos, mushrooms, etc.  Whether it's a wheatbread, bagel, english muffin, or good old white boy wonderbread, and whether it's corned beef, hamburger, beef, ostrich, whatever meat, that's what I generally do.  I wonder if others follow that motif. 

Yes, absolutely.  Mayonnaise with vegetable matter and mustard with meats seems ingrained in me as well.  That said, I sometimes eat 'honey mustard' dressings on salad, though its far from my favorite.

Tonight I had a nice slab of deep fried fish - the Thais do this by slicing out a section of the fish with backbone inside, so you get about 2 inches of both sides of the fish, if you see what I mean.  No fillets for them.  With that I had a very strange curry - one that's almost grey, with a vegetable we don't have in the west.  Kind of tubular, and to be honest only marginally appetizing, though reputedly very healthy like must marginally appetizing things.  Also a plate of fresh green beans, cucumber slices, and small squares of herb-omelet served with a spicy sauce, and small bananas in sweet coconut milk for desert.  For two this meal was about $4.50.

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2009, 10:44:14 am »
Ignore

Guys where are you?  Are you all fasting?

Tonight I had 'larp bet' or duck meat salad - its a kind of delicious spicy minced duck with tiny peppers and fried olive leaves mixed in served either on its own or over rice, with a large helping of both raw and steamed vegetables (mostly types unavailable in the US), and a large variety of fresh herbs.  Also a spicy/sour duck soup broth on the side.  The pile of herbs on your table looks like you just went out in the garden and stripped a bunch of bushes, weeds, and trees of their leaves.  I love duck and its too bad its not very available in the US.

Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
Vatican City State
View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2009, 10:49:00 am »
Ignore

Guys where are you?  Are you all fasting?

Tonight I had 'larp bet' or duck meat salad - its a kind of delicious spicy minced duck with tiny peppers and fried olive leaves mixed in served either on its own or over rice, with a large helping of both raw and steamed vegetables (mostly types unavailable in the US), and a large variety of fresh herbs.  Also a spicy/sour duck soup broth on the side.  The pile of herbs on your table looks like you just went out in the garden and stripped a bunch of bushes, weeds, and trees of their leaves.  I love duck and its too bad its not very available in the US.

No bananas in sweet coconut milk (your daily desert)?
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2009, 11:28:27 am »
Ignore

Hah, you caught me - I'm a creature of habit.  I always get those at the same restaurant too - my favorite one.

Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
Vatican City State
View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2009, 11:30:14 am »
Ignore

Hah, you caught me - I'm a creature of habit.  I always get those at the same restaurant too - my favorite one.

I look forward to you Thai food updates......american thai restaurants seem nothing like what you describe.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2009, 11:41:05 am »
Ignore

I look forward to you Thai food updates......american thai restaurants seem nothing like what you describe.

They're not!  Indian and Vietnamese seem to transfer better, but Thai not so much.  You really have to come here to appreciate the food. 

Keep in mind that while I usually dine on Thai food, I actually live in Isaan, the ethnically Lao Northeast, so I can also eat that cuisine.  I also travel to the beach once a month and eat great seafood.

Here upcountry we have basically the local Isaan food, Thai food, and then 'chinese food' of which there are two types:  the street stall food like noodle soup and other cheap-cheap options, most of which i don't like, and the fancy chinese restaurants, some of which are open for dinner, and others mainly for late-night feasting.  The latter are somewhat confusingly called 'caow tom' or rice soup places (confusing because there is also a cheap and crappy 'caow tom'), and in fact if you ask a girl in a nightclub 'would you like to go for caow tom', its a coded phrase for wanna fนck!  People go eat it as a break from fนcking in the middle of the night.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 66 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout