Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2014, 01:20:48 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Off-topic Board (Moderators: Torie, The Mikado, Badger)
| | |-+  What have you eaten for dinner?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 66 Print
Author Topic: What have you eaten for dinner?  (Read 103981 times)
Snowguy716
snowguy716
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -8.52

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2009, 10:33:52 pm »
Ignore

Howdy from Perryville, MO. 

We're about eight hours south of the angus homestead, en route to Panama City Beach.

We had two big, greasy buffet meals today.  One at around noon, in a town called Hannibal, and another about two hours ago.  Here in Perryville.  Both restaurants were smoky (at least in the "no smoking sections" they were.  I can't vouch for the "smoking" sections, but I'm sure they were as well.)  And both featured All-U-Can-Eat--don't you love that I spelled you that way?--buffet meals.  One thing I enjoy every time I find myself in areas further south than the Hawkeye state:  greasy, prix fixe, serve yourself, buffet-style eateries.  Don't see those in Iowa much.  But we drove to PCB from Cedar Falls once before and, as I recall, once you cross the state line from Iowa to Missouri, you see 'em all the way from there to Panama City Beach. 

Lunch and dinner run together in my mind, so I can't recall which was which, but here are some of the highlights:  I had two different kinds of fried chicken, some cabbage with bacon fat, green beans with bits of bacon, zucchini with bits of bacon, spinach with bits of bacon, and bacon too--Yep, you can get bacon for lunch and dinner in Missouri--carrots that were unnaturally, startlingly sweet (marinated in honey, maybe?), three different kinds of cornbread, meat loaf, scrambled eggs, pork sausage, regular (yellow) potato salad, "cream cheese 'n' herb" potato salad, pulled pork, fried fish, fried okra, fried and breaded corn, fried potatoes, fried cheese, salisbury steak, corn chowder, green jello, blue jello, carrot cake, fried fudge pie, soft-serve ice cream, and a heapin' helpin' of second-hand smoke.

Man, it was all so damn good.  I probably cleaned three plates for lunch and four for dinner.  And that's not counting the little dishes for desert.

Then I walked down to the Wal-Mart about five hundred feet from the Comfort Inn in which we're staying and got me a bottle of Yellow Tail Shiraz for $5.47, which is a tad cheaper than it is in Cedar Falls.  After showering the boy twice (he shat profusely and liquid when we got home from the Ponderosa), I noticed that they had "free wireless internet" here and thought I'd try it out.

I'll probably post and read till I quit fartin' (or until the bottle's empty, whichever happens first.)

Your'e right.. there is a dearth of all you can eat buffets the further north you go.  Aside from a few Old Country Buffets in the Cities, I've only ever seen them in other states further south.

"Above and beyond the question of how to grow the economy there is a legitimate concern about how to grow the quality of our lives."
-Paul Wellstone

Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party
angus
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 1.87, S: -7.65

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 10:34:02 pm »
Ignore

Howdy from Perryville, MO.

We're about eight hours south of the angus homestead, en route to Panama City Beach.

We had two big, greasy buffet meals today.  One at around noon, in a town called Hannibal, and another about two hours ago.  Here in Perryville.  Both restaurants were smoky (at least in the "no smoking sections" they were.  I can't vouch for the "smoking" sections, but I'm sure they were as well.)  And both featured All-U-Can-Eat--don't you love that I spelled you that way?--buffet meals.  One thing I enjoy every time I find myself in areas further south than the Hawkeye state:  greasy, prix fixe, serve yourself, buffet-style eateries.  Don't see those in Iowa much.  But we drove to PCB from Cedar Falls once before and, as I recall, once you cross the state line from Iowa to Missouri, you see 'em all the way from there to Panama City Beach.

Lunch and dinner run together in my mind, so I can't recall which was which, but here are some of the highlights:  I had two different kinds of fried chicken, some cabbage with bacon fat, green beans with bits of bacon, zucchini with bits of bacon, spinach with bits of bacon, and bacon too--Yep, you can get bacon for lunch and dinner in Missouri--carrots that were unnaturally, startlingly sweet (marinated in honey, maybe?), three different kinds of cornbread, meat loaf, scrambled eggs, pork sausage, regular (yellow) potato salad, "cream cheese 'n' herb" potato salad, pulled pork, fried fish, fried okra, fried and breaded corn, fried potatoes, fried cheese, salisbury steak, corn chowder, green jello, blue jello, carrot cake, fried fudge pie, soft-serve ice cream, and a heapin' helpin' of second-hand smoke.

Man, it was all so damn good.  I probably cleaned three plates for lunch and four for dinner.  And that's not counting the little dishes for desert.

Then I walked down to the Wal-Mart about five hundred feet from the Comfort Inn in which we're currently lodged and got me a bottle of Yellow Tail Shiraz for $5.47, which is a tad cheaper than it is in Cedar Falls.  After showering the boy twice (he shat profusely and liquid when we got home from the Ponderosa), I noticed that they had "free wireless internet" here and thought I'd try it out.

I'll probably post and read till I quit fartin' (or until the bottle's empty, whichever happens first.)
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 12:43:37 pm »
Ignore

Oooh, that meal sounds like a digestive nightmare, and btw, Perryville's a bad place, a very bad place.  The kind of place they used to throw dynamite into the homes of the blacks.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

PASOK Leader Hashemite
Hashemite
Moderators
YaBB God
South Africa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 01:10:35 pm »
Ignore

Jell-o, only. I'm feeling like sh**t after oral surgery, I can't do sh**t and I can't eat sh**t.

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2009, 01:35:30 pm »
Ignore

I just had a great big plate of american-style barbecued pork ribs. and a Martini!

--
Kalwejt
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2009, 03:17:36 pm »
Ignore

Kebab
Barnes & Noble
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2009, 03:30:32 pm »
Ignore

Spaghetti tonight!

HockeyDude
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -8.26

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2009, 06:13:14 pm »
Ignore

Well today, I had a Double Stack w/bacon from Wendy's... then I had some Asian chicken and some egg roll-type things from a free buffet at work... and then I'm going to have another Double Stack with bacon

tasty

OH I JUST CAN'T WAIT TILL HE'S MOD!!!
Snowguy716
snowguy716
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2009, 06:57:26 pm »
Ignore

Pizza from Green Mill. 

"Above and beyond the question of how to grow the economy there is a legitimate concern about how to grow the quality of our lives."
-Paul Wellstone

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
YaBB God
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2009, 08:09:37 pm »
Ignore

Very sad that it will not be Five Guys
^^

I echo this sentiment again today

Gov. Christopher J. Christie
Snowguy716
snowguy716
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2009, 08:18:33 pm »
Ignore

Kebab

Ugh... just thinking about those makes me sick now after eating them too many times while insanely drunk at 4am.  I much preferred Leberkäsesemmel mit Senf... even if meat should never come in bread loaf form.

-Paul Wellstone

Jake
dubya2004
YaBB God
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2009, 12:02:27 am »
Ignore

Ledo's.
Mint
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2009, 12:06:20 am »
Ignore

Hand-made Tandoori Chicken, salad (lots of peppers), and an ice coffee with rum in it. It all turned out pretty good.
--
Kalwejt
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2009, 07:57:22 am »
Ignore

Spaghetti tonight!

I will eat spaghetti too today Cheesy
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2009, 01:20:45 pm »
Ignore

Today I had dinner with a  table of about half a dozen male foreigner teachers, mostly Japanese, a Frenchman and a Japanese American.  We had fried chicken's knees/shoulders with sweet dipping sauce, flash-fried vegetables with a little breading and a seafood dipping sauce (whole shrimps, a bit of minced pork, lots of small sliced onion, spicy), two different kinds of 'yam' - the Thai spicy salad (one was the best yam I think I've ever had, with lots of seafood, small diced 'winged bean', onion, and herbs), a 'lemon chicken' - a partially western dish with chicken covered in a mayonaiselike sauce and herbs, surprisingly good.  Finally a large crab fried rice and some french fries.  All washed down with lots of Leo Beer.  Really a great Thai bar-food repast.

That's Leo on the right.  Btw check out Leo's calender:

OK our waitresses didn't look quite that good, but they really looked awfully good..

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
YaBB God
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2009, 01:38:28 pm »
Ignore

Very sad that it will not be Five Guys
^^

I echo this sentiment again today
MONDAY, MONDAY, MONDAY!!

Gov. Christopher J. Christie
Snowguy716
snowguy716
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2009, 07:59:08 pm »
Ignore

roast chicken, scalloped potatoes, steam asparagus with hollandaise sauce, and garlic bread stuffing.

Tomorrow we're having chicken soup.

-Paul Wellstone

Barnes & Noble
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2009, 08:01:09 pm »
Ignore

Fried Chicken!

Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2009, 08:08:50 pm »
Ignore

Blackened wahoo with arugula on toasted corn bread, napa cabbage and onion rings.
Herman Cain's Gold Chain
Lief
YaBB God
Dominica

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2009, 08:09:29 pm »
Ignore

Swedish meatballs with gravy and fries.

(Part of the 2012 Election Throwback Series)
Snowguy716
snowguy716
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2009, 01:39:06 am »
Ignore

FF!

My grandma makes the best Swedish meatballs, of course.  It's a staple at holiday meals.  Hers are cooked in the gravy, though, and the gravy comes out more pasty because she puts a little flour in there to thicken it.  Still, it's heavenly... along with the obligatory jello salad, bland store baked buns, and punch (usually sherbet punch).. God I love Minnesota cuisine (or lack thereof)

-Paul Wellstone

Jake
dubya2004
YaBB God
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2009, 01:58:54 am »
Ignore

Hunan chicken (foul) in Chinatown. Will never order that again.
Herman Cain's Gold Chain
Lief
YaBB God
Dominica

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2009, 02:49:31 am »
Ignore

FF!

My grandma makes the best Swedish meatballs, of course.  It's a staple at holiday meals.  Hers are cooked in the gravy, though, and the gravy comes out more pasty because she puts a little flour in there to thicken it.  Still, it's heavenly... along with the obligatory jello salad, bland store baked buns, and punch (usually sherbet punch).. God I love Minnesota cuisine (or lack thereof)

Heh, we just get the frozen ones (with "instant" Swedish gravy) from Ikea. Still delicious though.

(Part of the 2012 Election Throwback Series)
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2009, 09:48:48 am »
Ignore

German style potato soup, a huge T-bone smothered in onions, and potato salad.  I'm visiting a largish city a few hours from my town, and this place has farang restaurants.

Oh and a huge $5 German imported dark beer.

angus
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 1.87, S: -7.65

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2009, 08:54:51 pm »
Ignore

Gonna have me some pork and garlic, with onion and carrot sauteed in oil, and some bokchoy with mushroom and baked tofu, also sauteed in oil.  Just like Mama used to make.  Served with sticky rice and a bottle of Shiraz.

It'll be nice to eat mammal.  We just arrived in PCB, after 1148 miles.  Jumped out of the car and went to the beach for about an hour, then the pool.  Finally we decided we were hungry and went to Winn Dixie Marketplace a few blocks from here and got the fixins' for a proper mammal-based dinner.

For the past two nights we'd been staying in Mississippi with a Hindu family.  Not that I don't like Mississippi Masala.  You really can't get enough tandoori chicken, biriani, chickpeas, eggplant, kheer, gulab jamun, and strong tea, but after a while I need some need some mammal meat.

The little condo which will be home for the next seven days has a fairly well-equipped kitchen, and we'll eventually get around to frying up some local yellowfin tuna or gulf shrimp, but tonight it's swine.

good to be off the road.  cheers.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 09:10:24 pm by angus »Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 66 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout