PA House Dems get paid now, everybody else gets paid next week
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:08:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  PA House Dems get paid now, everybody else gets paid next week
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PA House Dems get paid now, everybody else gets paid next week  (Read 787 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2009, 05:17:18 AM »

link
House Pubbies, everybody in the PA Senate and all state workers get paid (they hope) next week, but House Dems had their checks cut yesterday.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Wow.  Just wow.  That takes some major balls.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 05:41:44 AM »

Obviously more evidence of the Democratic culture of corruption. (Or just PA being dumb.)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 03:21:20 PM »

Brilliant PR move.  Kind of like the morons in the US House of Representatives buying themselves 2 new airplanes while telling those who testify before them  that they should fly coach.

Let them eat cake.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 03:22:44 PM »

Yeah, considering they hold the chamber 104-99 and only a 3 seat swing brings it back to the Rs, this was a genius move.  Do they not remember the anti-incumbent wave based upon payraises?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 03:29:41 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2009, 03:31:29 PM by Supersoulty »

Brilliant PR move.  Kind of like the morons in the US House of Representatives buying themselves 2 new airplanes while telling those who testify before them  that they should fly coach.

Let them eat cake.

Sadly, you would be surprised how little the news from Harrisburg gets around.  that's part of the problem with not having our capital in a real city (yeah, it is technically a decent sized metro, but if you have ever been there, having the state capitol there is that cities only justification for existence).  No one reads the Harrisburg papers, not even other in-state news papers.  It's part of the reason they can get away with being so corrupt down there.

Laziness is the only reason they didn't move the thing back during the end of the 19th century, either to Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, or a location closer to the center of the state (like Altoona)... shame.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 03:47:28 PM »

Idiots.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 03:59:06 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2009, 04:00:54 PM by cinyc »

Sadly, you would be surprised how little the news from Harrisburg gets around.  that's part of the problem with not having our capital in a real city (yeah, it is technically a decent sized metro, but if you have ever been there, having the state capitol there is that cities only justification for existence).  No one reads the Harrisburg papers, not even other in-state news papers.  It's part of the reason they can get away with being so corrupt down there.

Laziness is the only reason they didn't move the thing back during the end of the 19th century, either to Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, or a location closer to the center of the state (like Altoona)... shame.

Harrisburg is actually pretty close to the population center of Pennsylvania - it's in Newport, about 20 miles NNW of Harrisburg. 

This type of hypocrisy is more likely to be exposed than more mundane news coming out of Harrisburg.

Edit:  The Morning Call, where this article appeared, is Allentown's newspaper.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 04:04:34 PM »

Harrisburg is actually pretty close to the population center of Pennsylvania - it's in Newport, about 20 miles NNW of Harrisburg. 

This type of hypocrisy is more likely to be exposed than more mundane news coming out of Harrisburg.

I'm well aware of its proximity to the population center of the state... I also don't care.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 04:17:54 PM »

I'm well aware of its proximity to the population center of the state... I also don't care.

Soult's right...the capital really should either be in Philly or Pittsburgh.  I hear much more about the hijinx in Trenton (or even Delaware)...than I do about anything about the PA gubment.  If the capital was in either of the big two at least someone would hear about it.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 04:30:57 PM »

Soult's right...the capital really should either be in Philly or Pittsburgh.  I hear much more about the hijinx in Trenton (or even Delaware)...than I do about anything about the PA gubment.  If the capital was in either of the big two at least someone would hear about it.

When a state has two large, relatively equally-sized cities, the capital usually doesn't end up in either of them, for fear that one will overshadow the other.  Especially when the cities are on opposite sides of the state.  The (relatively) large-city state capitals tend to be in states with one dominant population center that overshadows the rest of the state - like Boston, Phoenix and Denver.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 04:32:23 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2009, 04:35:00 PM by bullmoose88 »

When a state has two large, relatively equally-sized cities, the capital usually doesn't end up in either of them, for fear that one will overshadow the other.  Especially when the cities are on opposite sides of the state.  The (relatively) large-city state capitals tend to be in states with one dominant population center that overshadows the rest of the state - like Boston, Phoenix and Denver.

And its preferable not to favor one over the other rather than ensuring that people in at least one of the two big metro areas knows what the hell is going on?

And I'll say this, I'd prefer the capital to be in Pittsburgh than Harrisburg (assuming Philly could not have it).  It wouldn't diminish the SE that much, and it would give the commonwealth a respectable capital.  People here would suspiciously watch, if they havent been already, that side of the state.  And I'm no Pittsburgh lover. 
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 04:39:33 PM »

And its preferable not to favor one over the other rather than ensuring that people in at least one of the two big metro areas knows what the hell is going on?

It is what it is.  Arguably, it's better for folks from the rival non-capital city that outside members of the legislature not be Philadephiaized or New York City-ized than conduct their business in a more boring city in the middle of nowhere.  Do the newspapers and TV and radio stations not have Harrisburg bureaus or reports from Harrisburg sister stations/papers these days?

Most state capitals are remarkably located near the population center of the state.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies