Just how superstitious are you?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:37:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Just how superstitious are you?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: I know there was a poll recently.. but hey.. it's better than "OMG YER GAY???!? AND BROWN!?!? HUZZAH"
Incredibly

Pretty

Moderately

Not Really

Freaks!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Just how superstitious are you?  (Read 1431 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2009, 07:42:27 PM »

I find myself to be pretty superstitious despite logically thinking it is ridiculous.  But I can't help it.  I have a very vivid imagination and I can't stand to think that what we see, hear, and feel, is the extent of it all.  There's gotta be more to it.

For example, I believe in ghosts and I believe there is an energy connection between humans that we don't understand (hence why we sometimes 'feel like something bad has happened' before we actually find out).

So yeah, make fun of me all you want.  I do it too.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 07:43:12 PM »

Pretty superstitious, actually.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 07:43:32 PM »

Moderately    
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 07:59:12 PM »

Not at all.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 08:17:45 PM »

Alot of that would depend on the definitions. 

Some people think religion in general is superstition.  I don't not, but I would that, even given my definition, when it comes to the spiritual and mystical, I do tend to cling to some superstition.

If, however, you are talking about black cats, Friday 13th, walking under ladders, etc, then not at all.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 08:26:08 PM »

My only abiding superstition is that something bad always happens on the Tuesday following the first Monday of November, particularly in years divisible by four.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 08:31:48 PM »

I know it's stupid, but sometimes I am indeed Sad
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 10:22:40 PM »

Incredibly. It's kinda sad.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 10:26:26 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2009, 10:44:31 PM by Mint »

Depends. If it's something like ghosts then yes. If it's something like breaking a mirror then absolutely not.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 10:38:01 PM »

Not at all.  Though some of the silly old ones are fun to hang onto.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 10:44:22 PM »

Not in the least.  My sisters and my mother are freaks, but they claim they are not superstitious.  But they couch it in their Christianity and presume it's not superstition.

For example, sometimes my wife and I say grace before dinner and sometimes not.  My siblings, their spouses and my mother have to.  I'd admire that if it were out of devotion, but it seems to me to be more out of fear. 

The same goes with saying, "Thank the Lord" or "Lord willing" about 40 times a day.  They all do it.  When I have asked them, they have actually admitted that they are afraid bad things will happen if they don't say it.  Don't get me wrong.  I am all for gratitude, but I rather think it should come from love and joy rather than fear.

And Mom's big thing lately is not doing anything on Sunday.  If I mention that I cut the grass after church, she freaks out...afraid God will punish me for working on the Sabbath.  I realize the importance of a day of rest and reflection...but I find lawnmowing to be restful, reflective and restorative. 

It's just odd the little forms of bondage people put themselves into.  I suppose I have my own. 
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 10:46:55 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2009, 10:56:55 PM by Ronnie »

Pretty

I very much believe in the evil eye, and believe it can harm people.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 11:21:07 PM »

Not really.  If good things happen when I'm doing a certain (unrelated) thing, I might keep doing that thing.  Like eating Skittles when I play baseball/softball.  I've got a couple of "unlucky" articles of clothing that I keep but will never wear.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 01:49:53 AM »

Not in the least.  My sisters and my mother are freaks, but they claim they are not superstitious.  But they couch it in their Christianity and presume it's not superstition.

For example, sometimes my wife and I say grace before dinner and sometimes not.  My siblings, their spouses and my mother have to.  I'd admire that if it were out of devotion, but it seems to me to be more out of fear. 

The same goes with saying, "Thank the Lord" or "Lord willing" about 40 times a day.  They all do it.  When I have asked them, they have actually admitted that they are afraid bad things will happen if they don't say it.  Don't get me wrong.  I am all for gratitude, but I rather think it should come from love and joy rather than fear.

And Mom's big thing lately is not doing anything on Sunday.  If I mention that I cut the grass after church, she freaks out...afraid God will punish me for working on the Sabbath.  I realize the importance of a day of rest and reflection...but I find lawnmowing to be restful, reflective and restorative. 

It's just odd the little forms of bondage people put themselves into.  I suppose I have my own. 
Reminds me of a certain branch of my extended family. Fanatical Catholic, daily-mass types. I would dread being in their car for family vacations because my godmother (who I love more than almost anyone, btw) would make the whole car pray a rosary on any drive longer than two hours. Not to mention that I seemingly always got tapped to say grace, owing to my agnosticism.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 02:01:16 AM »

Not really
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 09:05:20 AM »

Reminds me of a certain branch of my extended family. Fanatical Catholic, daily-mass types. I would dread being in their car for family vacations because my godmother (who I love more than almost anyone, btw) would make the whole car pray a rosary on any drive longer than two hours. Not to mention that I seemingly always got tapped to say grace, owing to my agnosticism.

Next time, volunteer to say grace --

"Bless the meat, damn the skin, open your jib and cram it in.  Amen"
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 05:05:39 PM »

No, superstitions are for unlucky bastards who can't admit their failures on their own epic fail abilities and for people who can't deal with the fact that I'm just very lucky (ie "never say never" bs or "your time will come").
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 05:10:51 PM »

...a little...
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 05:56:29 PM »

I play along with sports superstition (always wearing the gear, the rally cap, etc.) but its just play. I dont actually buy into any superstition.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 06:17:34 PM »

I play along with sports superstition (always wearing the gear, the rally cap, etc.) but its just play. I dont actually buy into any superstition.

This. On a baseball field, I have a bunch of things I will/won't do, but it's mainly to yell at people who contradict me.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 12:00:42 PM »

I really buy into sports superstition.  I have a whole set of things I do during every Wizards game.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 06:56:44 AM »

I hum the tune to 'greensleeves' in a tight moment for my footy team; and hop into exam rooms. Can't think of anything else much.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies