1932, Be Cool with Coolidge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:33:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  1932, Be Cool with Coolidge
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1932, Be Cool with Coolidge  (Read 1183 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2009, 08:30:45 PM »

Alright I really don't wish what happens in this timeline to FDR, but it's the only way I can explain him not being a candidate! Tongue

On his way to accept the 1932 Democratic nomination for President, Franklin Roosevelt's airplane crashed in New York, not long after taking off. Roosevelt miraculously lives, but would be in intensive care for at least a year, with the possibility of having a leg amputated. Tongue

The convention entered pandemonium. After holding an hour long ceremony for Roosevelt, they started off the balloting again. The votes were divided between Al Smith and John Nance Garner (Roosevelt's running mate and, in many views, his heir apparent) The convention dragged on for 13 ballots, a compromise candidate is reached with Governor of Maryland, Albert Ritchie. Ritchie picks Garner to again be the VP candidate.

At the Republican Convention, a huge "Stop Hoover" campaign is able to nominate former President, Calvin Coolidge, after 19 ballots. Coolidge picks current Vice President, Charles Curtis, as his running mate, to try and unite the party.

How does this wildly different election unfold?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 08:56:49 PM »

With depression Republicans would still be unwineable

Coolidge may not be blamed directly (even if I think he was far more responsible than Hoover), and Ritchie may not be FDR, but still a Democratic win
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 10:39:55 PM »

I just figured out the weirdest thing. If Coolidge is elected, he dies in January before taking office, Charles Curtis becomes President. In February 1936, Curtis dies, and John Nance Garner becomes President.

If Ritchie is elected, he serves until he dies in February 1936, and Garner still becomes President. So weird! Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 07:44:33 AM »

I just figured out the weirdest thing. If Coolidge is elected, he dies in January before taking office, Charles Curtis becomes President. In February 1936, Curtis dies, and John Nance Garner becomes President.

If Ritchie is elected, he serves until he dies in February 1936, and Garner still becomes President. So weird! Smiley

Lucky "Cactus Jack", either was, as Speaker of Vice President, he'd be President Wink
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 02:53:26 PM »

Lucky "Cactus Jack", either was, as Speaker of Vice President, he'd be President Wink

I just remembered that before 1947, the Secretary of State was after the VP, oh well! Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 03:05:53 PM »

I just remembered that before 1947, the Secretary of State was after the VP, oh well! Tongue

Dang! But when administration term expires? Cabinet officers were gone, I guess
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 03:12:36 PM »

So what would maps look like?

The way I'm going to work this is someone makes a map I really like, I say that's how the election happened, and continue with the timeline. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies