SC: Dem SoE Jim Rex forms exploratory commitee for Gov race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:16:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  SC: Dem SoE Jim Rex forms exploratory commitee for Gov race
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SC: Dem SoE Jim Rex forms exploratory commitee for Gov race  (Read 2004 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2009, 08:33:20 PM »

South Carolina's only current Democratic statewide office holder, State Superintendent of Education Jim Rex, filed the paperwork today with the State Election Commission for an official exploratory committee.  He has stated that he may run for governor, for reelection, or not at all, but expects to decide by early September.

(link)

He has the best statewide name recognition among the Dems, but it's a crowded field already.  Unless he can convince the other major contenders to withdraw, possibly for attempts at other offices, I don't think his name recognition advantage will help him win in November, and the Democrats desperately need to avoid having a Gubernatorial runoff if they are gong to have the resources to win in November.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 09:34:18 PM »

I'm interested in Nikki Haley's campaign thus far. I sure as hell won't be voting for Andre Bauer, but I am almost certain he will run and be the favorite to win the GOP nomination.

As for the Democrats, Rex may the only one thus far that has any chance at winning a statewide race. The African American candidates, let's face it, have no chance in a general against a Republican. Mullins McLeod I don't know enough about to make a call on him.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 09:40:05 PM »

I'm supporting Haley.  As far as Rex goes, it's amusing that the man who hasn't done jack to fix South Carolina's pitiful school system seems to think he can fix the whole state.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 10:09:51 PM »

I'm supporting Haley.  As far as Rex goes, it's amusing that the man who hasn't done jack to fix South Carolina's pitiful school system seems to think he can fix the whole state.

To be fair, he's had to spend most of the past two and a half years defending the existing system against those who would rather destroy it instead of improving it.

Tactically, I think the Democrats would be better off if Rex runs for reelection and Sheheen wins the Gubernatorial nomination, but this is likely the only chance Rex will have to run for Governor, as he would be in his 70's come 2014.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies