CQPolitics House Ratings 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:15:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiα, Gracile)
  CQPolitics House Ratings 2010
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: CQPolitics House Ratings 2010  (Read 7940 times)
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2009, 05:07:45 AM »

I guess these are going to be the most competitive according to CQ Politics. What does everyone think?

Toss-Ups
• ID-01: Walt Minnick (D)
• MD-01: Frank M. Kratovil, Jr. (D)
• NY-23: John McHugh (R)

Leans Democratic
• AL-02: Bobby Bright (D)
• AL-05: Parker Griffith (D)
• AZ-05: Harry Mitchell (D)
• CO-04: Betsy Markey (D)
• CT-04: Jim Himes (D)
• FL-08: Alan Grayson (D)
• FL-24: Suzanne Kosmas (D)
• GA-08: Jim Marshall (D)
• GA-12: John Barrow (D)
• IL-10: Mark Kirk (R)
• MI-07: Mark Schauer (D)
• MI-09: Gary Peters (D)
• MS-01: Travis Childers (D)
• NC-08: Larry Kissell (D)
• NC-11: Heath Shuler (D)
• NH-01: Carol Shea Porter (D)
• NJ-03: John Adler (D)
• NM-02: Harry Teague (D)
• NV-03: Dina Titus (D)
• NY-19: John Hall (D)
• NY-20: Scott Murphy (D)
• NY-24: Michael Arcuri (D)
• NY-29: Eric Massa (D)
• OH-01: Steve Driehaus (D)
• OH-15: Mary Jo Kilroy (D)
• PA-06: Jim Gerlach (R)
• VA-05: Tom Perriello (D)
• WI-08: Steve Kagen (D)

Leans Republican
• AK-AL: Don Young (R)
• AL-03: Mike Rogers (R)
• CA-03: Dan Lungren (R)
• CA-44: Ken Calvert (R)
• FL-12: Adam Putnam (R)
• MI-11: Thaddeus McCotter (R)
• MN-03: Erik Paulsen (R)
• MN-06: Michele Bachmann (R)
• NE-02: Lee Terry (R)
• NJ-07: Leonard Lance (R)
• OH-02: Jean Schmidt (R)
• SC-01: Henry Brown (R)
• SC-02: Joe Wilson (R)
• WA-08: Dave Reichert (R)

For more ratings, visit http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?docID=ratings-house
politicalchick20
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 10:21:49 AM »

I think that Joseph Cao's (R) seat, LA-2, should be considered a Toss-Up as well.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 10:57:52 AM »

I think that Joseph Cao's (R) seat, LA-2, should be considered a Toss-Up as well.

Seriously? If it would be on this list at all it'd be a very strong lean Dem. It's probably not included because it's not even considered competitive.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 11:18:56 AM »

I think we can add PA-07(?), Sestak's district, into the toss-up column, as Pat Meehan decided to run for that seat instead of governor.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 02:20:32 PM »

I'll be the first of many people to say that NJ-7 and SC-2 are safer than "Lean Republican," and the only thing keeping SC-1 there is uncertainty about the incumbent's suckitude.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 02:36:17 PM »

AL-02, NM-02, and OH-01 should all be tossups.

CT-04, GA-12, MI-09, NC-11, and possibly NV-03 are not going to be competitive.

Nor are NJ-07, SC-01, or SC-02.

AK-AL, AL-03, CA-44, and OH-02 will probably be safe too, since the chance to win those seats has passed.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 04:55:32 PM »

WI-08 probably should be likely Democrat as well.  Same with NY-19 and probably GA-08. 
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 06:05:08 PM »

I'll be the first of many people to say that NJ-7 and SC-2 are safer than "Lean Republican," and the only thing keeping SC-1 there is uncertainty about the incumbent's suckitude.

Yeah, Brown is a total ass hat, although that district has been slowly becoming more "purple" as the population grows.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 10:03:05 AM »

I hope something else happens to make AK-AL competetive again.

I am surprised not to see the usual suspects from Indiana included.  I hope people aren't assuming that because the state went to Obama by a razor-thin margin that our Democratic members of Congress are safe.  They may well be safe, but it would probably have to do with the fact that they are voting more like Republicans.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 10:15:57 AM »

I am surprised not to see the usual suspects from Indiana included.  I hope people aren't assuming that because the state went to Obama by a razor-thin margin that our Democratic members of Congress are safe.  They may well be safe, but it would probably have to do with the fact that they are voting more like Republicans.

It looks unlikely that any of them will be facing a serious challenger since the Republicans pretty much gave up on unseating Donnelly or Ellsworth last year, and Baron Hill crushed Mike Sodrel in Round 4 of their grudge match. They'll probably wait until after redistricting to target any of them again.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 02:52:12 PM »

I don't even think Minnick is a Toss-Up; I think it's a Lean GOP district.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 03:49:30 PM »

It looks unlikely that any of them will be facing a serious challenger since the Republicans pretty much gave up on unseating Donnelly or Ellsworth last year, and Baron Hill crushed Mike Sodrel in Round 4 of their grudge match. They'll probably wait until after redistricting to target any of them again.

Sodrel is a one-hit wonder.  All he does is trot out pictures of aborted fetuses.  Donnelly is behaving more like Chris Chocola than Tim Roemer.  And Roemer was pretty conservative for a Democrat.  I haven't followed Ellsworth.  But yeah -- the GOP may just be content with the Governor's office and one Senate seat for now.  There were some accusations of corruption against Pete Visclosky but nothing ever came of it.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 04:15:04 PM »

Sodrel is a one-hit wonder.  All he does is trot out pictures of aborted fetuses.  Donnelly is behaving more like Chris Chocola than Tim Roemer.  And Roemer was pretty conservative for a Democrat.  I haven't followed Ellsworth.  But yeah -- the GOP may just be content with the Governor's office and one Senate seat for now.  There were some accusations of corruption against Pete Visclosky but nothing ever came of it.

The Washington Post says Donnelly is voting with the Democrats 88.5% of the time. What exactly makes him a candidate for the Club for Growth?
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 05:22:48 PM »

Seriously? If it would be on this list at all it'd be a very strong lean Dem. It's probably not included because it's not even considered competitive.

CQ has it rated in the less competitive "Democratic Favored" category.

I don't even think Minnick is a Toss-Up; I think it's a Lean GOP district.

I agree.  If Cao is almost certainly doomed then Minnick is at least slightly doomed.
politicalchick20
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 11:12:18 PM »

I was just thinking in terms of other seats that were long held by the opposite party, such as Minnick's or Kratovil's. I agree, I think the Dems will win it back, I just thought, if Minnick's and Kratovil's were on there, Cao's probably should be there as well.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 07:43:07 AM »

I guess these are going to be the most competitive according to CQ Politics. What does everyone think?

Leans Republican
• NJ-07: Leonard Lance (R)

Lawlzers.  The moment after Lance was elected, NJ Democratic Party bosses were falling over themselves to praise him.

The fact of the matter is that New Jersey Democrats (the leadership, that is) are comfortable with Leonard Lance in the congress (and most certainly like him on a personal and intellectual level), and there's no serious challenger in district to go after him.

In fact, Linda Stender is more likely to lose her Assembly seat than Lance is to lose his House seat, and Stender's seat is supposed to be "safe Dem."
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 11:05:14 AM »

Ellsworth is pretty safe. His main opponent is an unknown, but he could be a suprise. I got the chance to meet him, and all in all, he seems really down to earth. I wouldn't be suprised if Ellsworth got in a bit of danger. Someone who also could give him a run for his money is Bob Heaton, who played basketball @ ISU. He barely lost to Tincher in `08, and he could beat him in `10, but he might try and challenge Ellsworth.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 11:22:36 AM »

Ellsworth is more worried about the 2010 state legislature elections and the 2012 redistricting.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 11:27:27 AM »

Why? People voted for him because they liked him and didn't mind that he was a Democrat, not because he was a Democrat. I don't think he's going anywhere outside of a Republican wave year (unless he's had real problems settling into his new job or been amassing a far-left voting record, and nobody's told me.)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 03:16:09 PM »

Ellsworth is more worried about the 2010 state legislature elections and the 2012 redistricting.

I wonder what the chances are that the legislature doesn't let Ellsworth keep his district and targets Baron Hill instead. Bloomington has to go somewhere. It's not easy to weaken Ellsworth further without helping Hill, and Ellsworth seems pretty solid.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 04:33:12 PM »

Why? People voted for him because they liked him and didn't mind that he was a Democrat, not because he was a Democrat. I don't think he's going anywhere outside of a Republican wave year (unless he's had real problems settling into his new job or been amassing a far-left voting record, and nobody's told me.)

He did vote for cap-and-trade (can't figure out why in that CD of all of them) and Steve Pearce will be re-running for his old House seat against him.

That definitely makes it worth lean D, but I'd wait at least 6 months before going any further.

As for Indiana, whenever the economy is really bad, anything can and will happen up there.  Whether or not the condition is satisfied or whether anything does *actually* happen, you need to wait some time to find out.

I basically agree with Moderate on anything New Jersey (that I've seen so far, ever).
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 05:38:34 PM »

Conservative district + yes vote on ACES + former Rep. running (assuming Pearce can match Teague's fundraising) = tossup.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 06:14:16 PM »

He did vote for cap-and-trade (can't figure out why in that CD of all of them) and Steve Pearce will be re-running for his old House seat against him.

That definitely makes it worth lean D, but I'd wait at least 6 months before going any further.

As for Indiana, whenever the economy is really bad, anything can and will happen up there.  Whether or not the condition is satisfied or whether anything does *actually* happen, you need to wait some time to find out.

I basically agree with Moderate on anything New Jersey (that I've seen so far, ever).

The economy was really bad in 1982 and only one incumbent lost his seat in Indiana and that was to a pretty strong Democrat after the Republican got caught for DWI.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 10:24:12 PM »

The economy was really bad in 1982 and only one incumbent lost his seat in Indiana and that was to a pretty strong Democrat after the Republican got caught for DWI.

That's the reason why I said "maybe" and not "definitely".  Smiley
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 08:27:55 AM »

OH-01 reminds me a lot of KY-03. Chabot may have been an awesome incumbent, but I don't see how he gets a foothold against an incumbent Driehaus, even without Obama on the ticket increasing African American turnout.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies