Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 26, 2017, 04:24:16 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Cast your Ballot in the 2016 Mock Election

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Election What-ifs?
| | |-+  International What-ifs (Moderator: Apocrypha)
| | | |-+  The Australian Republic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: The Australian Republic  (Read 1333 times)
TimTurner
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2017, 04:17:17 pm »
Ignore

Interesting stuff.

Vote Lib Dem on May 7 - keep Clegg as deputy PM

http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=244197.0
Different states!
Lok1999
lok1999
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -5.10, S: -2.79

P P

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2017, 04:19:54 pm »
Ignore

#Pilbersek4Prez
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 06:24:16 am by Lok1999 »Logged

A Liberal LGBT in an LGBT supporting, but mostly conservative city.

Assemblyman-elect
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2017, 04:38:59 pm »
Ignore

Which party would you guys support in this situation?

I'd probably be ACP, or I would have been ARP until recently and then converted to ACP.

"I love the freedoms we have in this country. And I appreciate your freedom to burn your flag if you want to. But I really appreciate my right to bear arms so I can shoot you if you try to burn mine." - Johnny Cash, 1990, Asbury Park, New Jersey.
Lok1999
lok1999
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

P P

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2017, 11:42:17 pm »
Ignore

Well, it looks like one of the parties in this TL is now a real thing.

Assemblyman-elect
GoTfan
GoTfan21
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2017, 12:13:17 am »
Ignore

Well, it looks like one of the parties in this TL is now a real thing.

With one notable difference: They actually tolerate moderates.

Credibility! Who needs credibility?
-Southern Gothic, August 1 2016

Link to The Australian Republic!
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=255684.0

GoTfan
GoTfan21
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2017, 01:37:12 am »
Ignore

The Transfer of Power and election of 2001

I clearly represent the Old Guard of this country. Under my leadership, we have successfully transferred ourselves from a monarchy to a republic, but it is time for me to move on. I will not be running for a full term as President in 2001
-Acting President John Howard on December 28 2000, announcing he will not run for President in 2001

The year after the 1999 Constitutional Convention, Howard immediately set to work on the transfer of power to a republic. As Acting President, he set the ambitious date of November 2, 2001 for the first Presidential Election. Many thought the work wouldn't be done. Howard proved them wrong.

He set to work immediately, revamping the Federal Government. He created the offices of Cabinet Secretaries; he successfully changed the Prime Minister's role from the country's de facto leader into the head of the legislative branch; he smoothly abolished the office of Governor-General, and finally, called a conference of the party leaders from each state and territory to discuss a means for the state elections.

The state party leaders met in Canberra in August of 2000 to discuss the transfer of power. Soon enough, squabbling erupted. The current Premiers were keen to hold onto their power, and were loathe to hand it over to their state governors. The Premiers reached a consensus that the state and territory Governors should be selected by a two-thirds majority of the State Parliaments. The Opposition Leaders, of course, were opposed. In the end, SA opposition Leader Mike Rann developed a compromise solution, based on Howard's method (which by now was being called the New Federal Model). The Premier would serve as the leader of the legislative branch, while the Governor would be the state's executive authority; similar to the relationship between the Prime Minister and the President. The compromise was accepted, and soon, plans for the elections next year got underway.

Many were stunned when Howard said he would not run in 2001, but those close to him saw that despite the diligence at which he'd dismantled the Australian Monarchy, he'd done without any joy, and it had taken a large emotional toll on him. His Acting Vice President, Peter Costello, announced he would run, and the first ACP Presidential Selection would prove to be a mere formality. Costello was easily nominated that year, and he chose the ageing Representative from Victoria, David Kemp, as his running mate.

The Labor Selection was also a formality. Kym Beazley was easily nominated, choosing Sa Senator Nick Bolkus as his running mate. The SDP nominated Bob Brown and Dee Margetts, and the ARP nominated Senator Meg Lees and Queensland Senator Andrew Bartlett. Other candidates included Former Reprresentative Pauline Hanson, running as the Australia First nominee, and Clive Palmer, who was making his first foray into electoral politics as an independent candidate.

The debates were largely inconclusive, and it was almost inevitable that Costello, running on Howard's legacy, would win. The final results proved this.

GoTfan
GoTfan21
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2017, 04:58:57 am »
Ignore

Thoughts on the 2001 election?

Lok1999
lok1999
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

P P

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2017, 04:02:51 pm »
Ignore

As much as I didn't like the result, the fact that Costello was running off the support of a popular president, it was certainly inevitable he was going to win.

Also, are the presidential elections one or two rounds?

Assemblyman-elect
GoTfan
GoTfan21
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2017, 04:14:55 pm »
Ignore

As much as I didn't like the result, the fact that Costello was running off the support of a popular president, it was certainly inevitable he was going to win.

Depends if someone passes 50%.  If they do, there's no need for one. If no-one does, then the top two candidates head into the second round.

Lok1999
lok1999
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

P P

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2017, 07:06:08 pm »
Ignore

Depends if someone passes 50%.  If they do, there's no need for one. If no-one does, then the top two candidates head into the second round.
You could have just said 2 rounds Tongue But don't worry, it's fine

Assemblyman-elect
Lok1999
lok1999
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

P P

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2017, 07:14:44 am »
Ignore

When will the next post be?

Assemblyman-elect
GoTfan
GoTfan21
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2017, 07:46:03 am »
Ignore

When will the next post be?

Soon. I'm writing it out now.

Lok1999
lok1999
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

P P

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2017, 02:24:59 am »
Ignore

How's the progress on the next post?

Assemblyman-elect
GoTfan
GoTfan21
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2017, 03:23:34 am »
Ignore

Was going well . . . Then my computer crashed and i lost everything.

Lok1999
lok1999
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

P P

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2017, 05:34:15 am »
Ignore

Was going well . . . Then my computer crashed and i lost everything.
RIP!

Assemblyman-elect
GoTfan
GoTfan21
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2017, 09:20:03 pm »
Ignore

And now another 2016 update . . .

President Abbott is no conservative. He supports the same policies of the Labor Party, just dressing them up differently. He is not a conservative. I am. I have been a consistent conservative for years, and I hope to take this trend even further. This why I am announcing my candidacy for President of Australia.
Senator Cory Bernardi announcing his bid for the ACP nomination on March 11, 2016.

Labor has a real chance to retake the Presidency this year, but it is no use nominating a candidate withpout relevant experience. Senator Shorten has only been in office since 2007, and Representative Plibersek has not been able to unite the wings of our party.

I might be a member of the Left, but I have a proven ability to work with Unity and have the executive and legislative experience necessary to lead this country. That is why I am running for President
-South Australian Governor Jay Weatherill announcing his candidacy on March 14, 2016.

The Social Democratic Party is coming out of the wilderness. We represent bold, fresh leadership for this nation, and that is what the people of this nation want! They want a party that gives real action on climate change, shifts their taxes to something more useful than ridiculously government salaries. These are things that people want, and this is why I am seeking our party's nomination for President!
-Social Democratic Senate Leader Richard Di Natale launching his campaign on March 15

And so the field expands with three new candidates launching their campaigns for President.

Di Natale remains the odds-on favourite for the SDP nomination, with Representative Adam Bandt reportedly close to announcing, along with Senators Scott Ludlam and Larissa Waters also close to announcing their candidacies.

Meanwhile, Weatherill's run for President has shaken up the field somewhat. Despite only middling approval ratings in South Australia, the State Premier was nominated for Governor in 2010 over incumbent Mike Rann, and won a tough re-election battle in 2014. Riding high off this success, Weatherill is running as a candidate experienced with the legislative and executive branches. Weatherill also has a formidable fundraising machine in place. The challenge for him will be expanding it nationwide.

Last but not least, SA Senator Cory Bernardi has pledged to run a right-wing campaign against President Abbott. This may seem odd, as both Abbott and Bernardi come from the right wing of their party. However, inside sources have revealed that Abbott sees the right-wing firebrand asmore of a liability than an asset. In any case, the National Alliance, the main right-wing party, has denied Bernardi access to their Selection ballot this year. As such, the Senator will rely on ACP voters to swing delegates towards him.

Next time: Costello's first term and the election of 2004

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout