Canadian Parliament
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:44:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian Parliament
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canadian Parliament  (Read 3520 times)
Justin
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2004, 05:48:59 PM »
« edited: March 03, 2004, 05:49:21 PM by Justin »

Can anybody give me the number of Seats the Liberals, Conservatives, NDP, Bloc, Indepemdents and Independent Progressive Conservatives have?
dunn

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 06:04:30 PM »

Can anybody give me the number of Seats the Liberals, Conservatives, NDP, Bloc, Indepemdents and Independent Progressive Conservatives have?

LPC                 172
Conservative   66  
Progressive    12  
Bloc Québécois 38  
NDP                 13  
Canadian observer
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 11:52:54 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2004, 11:54:12 PM by Canadian observer »

LPC                 172
Conservative   66  
Progressive    12  
Bloc Québécois 38  
NDP                 13  

These numbers are the results of the last 2000 federal election.  Many things happened afterwards (e.g., defections, partial elections, merger or the right).  Here's the current party standings in the House of Commons.

PARLIAMENT OF CANADA - PARTY STANDING IN THE HOUSE OF COMMONS

Liberal Party (LPC) Sad 169
Conservative Party (CPC) Sad 73
Bloc québécois (BQ) Sad 33
New Democratic Party (NDP) Sad 14
Independent Sad 9
Vacant Sad 3

TOTAL : 301

Seats in play in 2004 : 308 (3 seats added in Ontario, 2 in BC and 2 in Alberta)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2004, 11:38:20 PM »

I know that 100/105 seats in Ontario were Liberal at the last election-that seems rather unfair to me; the whim of Ontariens basically controls the whole country.
Kghadial
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2004, 12:24:58 AM »

I know that 100/105 seats in Ontario were Liberal at the last election-that seems rather unfair to me; the whim of Ontariens basically controls the whole country.

And the whim of Texans control this country ... Sad

Ontario is by far the most populous, and arguably the most desirable place to live in Canada. South Ontario is basically the same as our Upper Midwest and Upstate New York.  If I moved to Canada (dodging the draft of course) I would go to Toronto. Unless i improve my French then maybe Quebec, or if I became addicted to pot then BC, but largely I'd become a resident of Ontario (saying Ontarien doesn't seem right ...).

Yet it is a sad fact that Ontario dominates Canada, but it does have like 40% of their population so democracy demands it.  In any case the Quebecois that don't vote for the Bloc vote with the Ontario dwellers. If they can get along I think then i think the LPC is mean to be in charge.
Canadian observer
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2004, 12:48:22 PM »

If the 308 seats were fairly distributed (rep by pop).  Ontario would have around 120-125 seats.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2004, 05:30:56 PM »

why is ontario sent have many liberals  
Canadian observer
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2004, 04:17:16 PM »

why is ontario sent have many liberals  

You mean why Liberals have got over 99% of the seats since the last three elections right ? Smiley

The general thesis was about the division of the right.  Since 93, The Conservative and Reform parties struggled to get the conservative-leaning vote.  However none succeed at nipping each other.  In every election, they got almost the same percentage of votes and prevented the election of candidates other than Liberal.

Now the Liberal hegemony over Ontario might come to an end in the next election, a the two parties merged into the Conservative Party of Canada.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2004, 05:25:19 PM »

I presume the polls are still showing a LPC victory?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2004, 12:14:14 PM »

yes, a liberal victory is expected.

however, many canadians are upset over the kickback scandals.

furthermore, western canadians are more frustrated than usual with the eastern dominated government.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2004, 12:55:16 PM »

And the whim of Texans control this country ... Sad

Ontario is by far the most populous, and arguably the most desirable place to live in Canada. South Ontario is basically the same as our Upper Midwest and Upstate New York.  If I moved to Canada (dodging the draft of course) I would go to Toronto. Unless i improve my French then maybe Quebec, or if I became addicted to pot then BC, but largely I'd become a resident of Ontario (saying Ontarien doesn't seem right ...).

Yet it is a sad fact that Ontario dominates Canada, but it does have like 40% of their population so democracy demands it.  In any case the Quebecois that don't vote for the Bloc vote with the Ontario dwellers. If they can get along I think then i think the LPC is mean to be in charge.

The reason Ontario is important also has to do with balance. Quebec and Ontario use to maintain the balance. French vs. English. But as the West grew and became more radical, and anti-French Ontario became the home of Moderatism. West vs. Quebec, and Ontario was the fulcrum.

It's Ontarian by the way. The analogy of Ontario is not... excellent. In the relationship to Canada in a political sense Ontario is the California/New York. It's very politically sensitive. But in the same sense you can't treat Ontario as a Province as America treats their States. Our Provinces are HUGE as compared to the states, therefore you have many unique political, cultural, and economic regions. Southern Ontario is a lot like the entire state of New York or Michigan, you got the big cities and the rural areas. Middle Ontario is a lot like Wisconsin. The North is like Northern Minnesota.

Ontario doesn't work with the American perseption of New York and California. It isn't really a barometer to the country. There's too much division. This because in Federal elections Provinces don't count for anything, only districts do.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies