Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 19, 2014, 11:53:29 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | |-+  1932 Democratic Presidential Primary Elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1932 Democratic Presidential Primary Elections  (Read 4390 times)
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2009, 04:01:23 pm »
Ignore

Roosevelt in red, Smith in blue, Garner in green, favorite sons in yellow.

Roosevelt contested AL, CA, GA, MA, NE, NH, NY, ND, OR, PA, SD, WV, and WI. Smith contested AL, MA, NH, NJ, NY, PA, and WI. Garner contested only CA.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 08:56:03 pm by Wyatt Chеsney »Logged

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
YaBB God
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -5.22

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 04:20:25 pm »
Ignore

How come Garner defeated FDR in California?

And why Smith even contested the Alabama primary?
Did he really believe that he could beat a WASP in KKK's heartland?

Bob Findley: "You're a real dyed-in-the-wool son-of-a-bitch. Anyone ever told you that?"
Steve Everett: "Just close friends and family,"

Clint Eastwood's "True Crime", 1999.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 04:33:31 pm »
Ignore

Why did Smith even try at all after the thumping he got in 1928? That would have been like Dukakis running in the 1992 Primary.

realisticidealist
YaBB God
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: 2.78

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 04:40:42 pm »
Ignore

Some statewide totals: (missing AL, GA, NH, NY, and SD)

California:
John Nance Garner: 41.27%
Franklin Roosevelt: 32.47%
Alfred Smith: 26.26%

Florida
Franklin Roosevelt: 87.71%
William H. Murray: 10.72%
Leo Chassee: 1.57%

Illinois
James Hamilton Lewis: 99.76%

Massachusetts
Alfred Smith: 73.11%
Franklin Roosevelt: 26.89%

Nebraska
Franklin Roosevelt: 63.48%
John Nance Garner: 19.00%
William H. Murray: 17.51%

New Jersey
Alfred Smith: 58.97%
Franklin Roosevelt: 36.27%
John Nance Garner: 1.56%
Albert Richie: 1.56%

North Dakota
Franklin Roosevelt: 61.91%
William H. Murray: 38.10%

Ohio
William H. Murray: 96.45%
Franklin Roosevelt: 1.71%

Oregon
Franklin Roosevelt: 78.62%
William H. Murray: 19.52%

Pennsylvania
Franklin Roosevelt: 56.65%
Alfred Smith: 43.11%

Wisconsin
Franklin Roosevelt: 98.57%
Alfred Smith: 1.43%

West Virginia
Franklin Roosevelt: 90.32%
William H. Murray: 8.15%
Leo Chassee: 1.53%

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 05:41:59 pm »
Ignore

California's Role in the Nomination of Franklin D. Roosevelt

Great article, if you have a JSTOR account. But, concisely, Hearst and McAdoo (both conservative Democrats) were behind Garner, and Roosevelt and Smith split the liberal wet vote in Northern California.

Your guess is as good as mine, but Smith lost by a considerable margin (though I don't know how much exactly).

Why did Smith even try at all after the thumping he got in 1928? That would have been like Dukakis running in the 1992 Primary.

Yes, if Dukakis was black. There was a substantial portion of the electorate that wanted to see a Catholic president in 1932. Smith could have won if he hadn't let much of his base slip away to FDR while he was deciding whether to run.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Minstrel Show Taylor Swift
Lief
YaBB God
Dominica

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 06:38:18 pm »
Ignore

NY is surprising, considering FDR was the state's governor at the time. Seems like he would have been able to deliver the state for himself.

Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 07:12:03 pm »
Ignore

NY is surprising, considering FDR was the state's governor at the time. Seems like he would have been able to deliver the state for himself.

Al Smith was from NYC. Tammany Hall was behind him.

Update reading list

hcallega
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 07:42:21 pm »
Ignore

What do you guys think would have happened if Smith or Garner had won the nomination?

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America."-President William Jefferson Clinton
"There is not a liberal America and a conservative America there is the United States of America."-Senator Barack Obama
Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 08:01:50 pm »
Ignore

I'm surprised Garner stayed out of the South.  He'd have won all three primaries easily.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Barnes & Noble
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 08:17:58 pm »
Ignore

Was Garner's plan kind of like Johnson's in 1960? Where he wouldn't really contest the primaries, and wait till the Convention?

Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 08:32:16 pm »
Ignore

Who won VA?

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 08:51:13 pm »
Ignore

I'm surprised Garner stayed out of the South.  He'd have won all three primaries easily.

California was the last primary. I don't believe he was a candidate prior to that.

Was Garner's plan kind of like Johnson's in 1960? Where he wouldn't really contest the primaries, and wait till the Convention?

You could say that, but I don't think he ever had any hope of winning, dark horse or not, which is why he and none of the other minor candidates decided to swing votes to Roosevelt. The whole campaign was largely the brainchild of William Randolph Hearst, the newspaperman (and a Californian).

Who won VA?

No primary.

Update reading list

Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 08:52:03 pm »
Ignore

Roosevelt contested VA

Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 08:56:15 pm »
Ignore

Typo, my mistake.

Update reading list

Robb the Survivor
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 07:17:56 am »
Ignore

What do you guys think would have happened if Smith or Garner had won the nomination?

Catastrophe, since both were blind economic coservatives and would have committed the same errors that Hoover. Probably, in 1936, a progressive republican cliches the nomination and destroys Smith. Then, republicans would become the party of Civil Right and Welfare State, whereas democrats will turn into southern reactionaries in the late Sixties ( I see a Rockefeller/Wallace race in 1968 ). Reagan and Dubya would be democrats, Mondale and Kerry would be republicans.

Robb of the House Stark, First of his Name, Lord of Winterfell and King in the North

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
hcallega
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 09:22:12 am »
Ignore

Catastrophe, since both were blind economic coservatives and would have committed the same errors that Hoover. Probably, in 1936, a progressive republican cliches the nomination and destroys Smith. Then, republicans would become the party of Civil Right and Welfare State, whereas democrats will turn into southern reactionaries in the late Sixties ( I see a Rockefeller/Wallace race in 1968 ). Reagan and Dubya would be democrats, Mondale and Kerry would be republicans.

Smith wasn't a conservative. He was a buisness-progressive. Essentially this was what Hoover was, beliving that working with buisness to create voluntary measures to revive the depression. Garner was a conservative though.

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America."-President William Jefferson Clinton
"There is not a liberal America and a conservative America there is the United States of America."-Senator Barack Obama
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 12:03:09 pm »
Ignore

Smith wasn't a conservative. He was a buisness-progressive. Essentially this was what Hoover was, beliving that working with buisness to create voluntary measures to revive the depression. Garner was a conservative though.

Smith did become a conservative by the late 1930s.

Update reading list

hcallega
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 08:12:06 am »
Ignore

Smith did become a conservative by the late 1930s.

But a lot of that was more personal, due to his dislike of Roosevelt for beating him in 1932. He also thought that FDR took a lot of credit from him for his actions as Governor of New York

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout