Will healthcare reform pass this year?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:33:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will healthcare reform pass this year?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will healthcare reform pass this year?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Will healthcare reform pass this year?  (Read 1250 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2009, 09:13:29 PM »

Doubt it.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 09:50:30 PM »

I honestly don't think so.  It's unfortunate in principle, but I'm not that bent out of shape because a) we don't have the money right now and b) the plan was pretty shoddy and hastily formed.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 09:55:58 PM »

Let's just put it this way- It's now or never. We are on the edge of the "J" in terms of Health Care costs.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 09:56:58 PM »

I honestly don't think so.  It's unfortunate in principle, but I'm not that bent out of shape because a) we don't have the money right now and b) the plan was pretty shoddy and hastily formed.

Yes, but also look at when the modern state health services were formed in European nations.  Things were MUCH worse than what we face now.

We're just 1) Lazy, 2) Totally paralyzed in fear of the possible (though unlikely) political fallout.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 10:14:26 PM »

Well, if it had to be much worse in Europe for them to fix their system, maybe when Healthcare totally bankrupts the country in 2022, we'll be more on it.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 10:18:33 PM »

Well, if it had to be much worse in Europe for them to fix their system, maybe when Healthcare totally bankrupts the country in 2022, we'll be more on it.

The idea that the reform shouldn't be enacted because we can't afford it is ridiculous because we can't afford NOT to enact reform.  The point is that we can reduce costs and use those reductions to insure those not currently insured.

The NHS in Britain began in mid 1948, after a crippling post-war recession.  1947 was not a good year for Britain.. and yet they were setting up their national healthcare system.  They had an unusually nasty winter in 1946/47 followed by residual food shortages and rationing, the crippling recession, a reduced young male population, and badly damaged infrastructure in and around London.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 11:55:27 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2009, 12:07:51 AM by Mint »

In current form? No. Now with that said I think there's a fairly high probability that they'll pass a 'toned down' version of it regardless of what the public thinks. Especially with the insurance industry already on board with 'individual mandates.'
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 06:09:41 AM »

What do you mean by "healthcare"? Stop spewing government propaganda immediately! It's a deathcare! Any government plan including a large-scale euthanasia program is actually a deathcare.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 07:49:53 AM »

Let's just put it this way- It's now or never. We are on the edge of the "J" in terms of Health Care costs.

Yes, because the medical system has fallen apart since Obama took office.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 10:17:17 AM »

You are kidding, right?

I have no idea if anything will pass, but I tend to doubt it.  The medical mafia has too tight a control of the phoney democrats.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »

It's beginning to look like they will pass a bill with no public option, but with co-ops and mandates.  If this is the form of the bill, I think it will get signed by Obama in late September or early October, with a sizable majority in the House and somewhere between 60-70 votes in the Senate.

A few comments on this version of the outcome.  A bill with no public option but with co-ops will fail to bring about any desirable changes in America's health care system.  Like the current Massachusetts plan, it will nominally cover more people, but will not bring down their premium costs, it will not bring down health care expenditures in the U.S. at all, but rather raise them by increasing utilization without cost-control measures, and it will put the typically ineffective co-ops in the hands of the current insurance companies.  In addition, the final bill may drop the clause about coverage for VOLUNTARY end-of-life consultations, which means that the Congress and administration will buckle on a good provision just because it was possible for political opponents to tell gross lies about what it entails.

In short, the final bill will be one in which the Obama administration basically caved on its major and most effective commitments, and handed over even more control of heath insurance coverage to insurance companies after months of railing against them. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 09:20:48 PM »

...and how is that? It just sounds like something you wouldn't say if Obama had an R next to his name, provided everything else about the man.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 09:25:01 PM »

...and how is that? It just sounds like something you wouldn't say if Obama had an R next to his name, provided everything else about the man.
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 10:52:30 PM »

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

I think he was too.  And I don't think it'll pass this year - most likely next year though.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 11:27:23 PM »

For some reason when I saw this poll, I thought healthcare reform with a public option. Whoops.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 11:48:42 PM »

Well...we have support and open-mindedness at this point. I think we will be alright, albeit the other side of the aisle is going to have a hissy fit.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 06:18:38 AM »

Well...we have support and open-mindedness at this point. I think we will be alright, albeit the other side of the aisle is going to have a hissy fit.

Yes, keep an open mind.

"The public option is the only way!" "Pass the bill now now now or else!" "If we don't do it now the medical system will fall apart!"
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 02:48:03 PM »

Yes, keep an open mind.

"The public option is the only way!" "Pass the bill now now now or else!" "If we don't do it now the medical system will fall apart!"
There is plenty of open mindedness about what is in the public option and how it is implemented...
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 03:21:27 PM »

It appears that we have no other choice but to do a public option. hmmm...
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 09:15:39 PM »

Democrats seem resigned to going solo on this. 

Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 09:22:29 PM »

If it fails to pass because of moderates and blue dogs, the Democrats are dead in 2010. I'd give it a 50/50 chance at this point.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 09:27:45 PM »

If it fails to pass because of moderates and blue dogs, the Democrats are dead in 2010. I'd give it a 50/50 chance at this point.

The Blue dogs should either stop being so crappy, or join the founders of the Blue Dogs, Tauzin and Hayes in the Republican party.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies