Obama surrenders
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:30:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama surrenders
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Obama surrenders  (Read 7498 times)
CJK
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 16, 2009, 04:45:19 PM »

Looks like the public option is getting thrown under the bus:

WASHINGTON – Bowing to Republican pressure and an uneasy public, President Barack Obama's administration signaled Sunday it is ready to abandon the idea of giving Americans the option of government-run insurance as part of a new health care system.

Facing mounting opposition to the overhaul, administration officials left open the chance for a compromise with Republicans that would include health insurance cooperatives instead of a government-run plan. Such a concession probably would enrage Obama's liberal supporters but could deliver a much-needed victory on a top domestic priority opposed by GOP lawmakers.

Officials from both political parties reached across the aisle in an effort to find compromises on proposals they left behind when they returned to their districts for an August recess. Obama had wanted the government to run a health insurance organization to help cover the nation's almost 50 million uninsured, but didn't include it as one of his core principles of reform.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_health_care_overhaul
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 04:57:21 PM »

RIP Health care reform.

Again.

And say goodbye to my support in the next election, Obama.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 04:57:58 PM »

Did we expect any different?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 05:01:04 PM »

RIP Health care reform.

Again.

Go Green!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 05:02:45 PM »

RIP Health care reform.

Again.

Go Green!

It's quite tempting I assure you. I did actually vote for a Green last year over my Blue Dog representative.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 05:05:17 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2009, 05:10:39 PM by Mechman »

I actually feel really bad for the UHS crowd. For some reason it reminds me of watching the football movie where the team gets all the way to the championship game, and then loses.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 05:08:56 PM »

Horrible.

We should not negotiate with terrorists.  Given their attitude here, I can see no other reasonable explanation than the Republicans clearly hate America (don't try to deny it - your actions speak louder than words)

I only hope I live long enough to see America regain it's senses.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 05:12:51 PM »

Horrible.

We should not negotiate with terrorists.  Given their attitude here, I can see no other reasonable explanation than the Republicans clearly hate America (don't try to deny it - your actions speak louder than words)

I only hope I live long enough to see America regain it's senses.

I have to admit that's the only thing keeping me interested in politics at this point. I grow to hate this country more and more each and every day. Just when you think we've grown up and we're ready to handle controversial and important issues, nope, turns out we're just as stupid as we were a few years ago.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 05:13:14 PM »

Marokai, just get it over with and change your avatar. You know that both parties are basically pulling a good cop bad cop routine at this point anyway. The only way it will change is if the Republican voters actually do make good on their calls for a more conservative (small government) party. The odds of the DU/KOS crowd pulling that sort of thing off for 'progressives' (social democrats) are nill.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 05:14:06 PM »

If this is true and he does indeed drop the public option, I'll probably get a green avatar.

Democratic politicians are even weaker and more incompitent than I previously though, if they cannot even pass their own agenda when they have huge majorities in both houses and holds the precidency. What about the change, Barry??? What about, "Yes we can"? There won't be another chance to reform Health Care! It's now or never.

BTW when I say green, I mean as in Indipendant green.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 05:19:42 PM »

Politically speaking, this is the best route for Obama. If he rammed this through Congress, he surely would have taken a political shot for it.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 05:20:47 PM »

I don't hate America.

I hate the people who want to destroy America with their delusions of a de facto aristocracy and contempt for the common man.  (along with their astroturf anti-common good movement and the loons that go along with it).

I know I'm a bit over the top on this - but I'm paying $600 a month for minimal insurance, and there are no cheaper alternatives.  I cannot live without insurance (I'm diabetic), and my reserves are running short.

The "free market" has failed on this.  It is good for many things, but there are some things that the government does better (law enforcement, healthcare in most-if not all-other civilized and industrialized nations, defense, roads, and so on).

I love America, and it tears me apart to see these pseudo-patriots oppose the well being of most Americans while shallowly wrapping themselves in the flag.  
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 05:23:36 PM »

There are a few other simpler options besides a complete government takeover:

1. Buy across state lines
2. Allow small businesses to pool together to buy insurance
3. Medical malpractice caps
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 05:24:08 PM »

Oh don't worry, I'm sure the Republicans will nominate someone that will make you vote Obama anyways. Wink

Horrible.

That's the only reasonable explanation you can think of? Me, I prefer to be positive about it - I think they did it out of love. Love for dividends in all the stocks they are invested in, love for all the lobbyists that give them nice gifts, and perhaps for some of those GOP politicians the love of having anonymous gay sex in public bathrooms... though that last one might not have anything to do with healthcare. But really it's all about the love man, so just chill. Grin

You must be logged in to read this quote.

*chuckle* That implies that America had it's senses in the first place. America was founded on the idea that no one man would be sane enough to rule us all, so we would get the ignorant and stupid masses to vote in a bunch of crazy people in the hopes that there would be enough differences in all the elected delusional maniacs that they might cancel each other most of the time.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 05:25:48 PM »

Oh don't worry, I'm sure the Republicans will nominate someone that will make you vote Obama anyways. Wink

The only two people who could make me overcome my incredible distaste for Obama would be Palin of Gingrich. I would rather let the right destroy the country again than let faux liberals run it. At least it might give us another shot in the future.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 05:31:29 PM »

The only two people who could make me overcome my incredible distaste for Obama would be Palin of Gingrich. I would rather let the right destroy the country again than let faux liberals run it. At least it might give us another shot in the future.

The only two people? You sir are very lacking in imagination. I'm quite certain the Republicans will be able to find someone else to horrify you - after all, they did manage to find Palin.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 05:35:17 PM »

Which is why you should go Green or write-in Dennis Kucinich. Seriously Marokai, don't let the two party system f*** you over.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 05:39:37 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2009, 05:42:55 PM by Mint »

Which is why you should go Green or write-in Dennis Kucinich. Seriously Marokai, don't let the two party system f*** you over.

Yeah again, just vote your conscience. If I had voted Libertarian last election it wouldn't have been any less productive, and it would have been a lot less depressing. If the 'lesser of two evils' is still unspeakably bad, then just say no to that evil.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 05:40:48 PM »

Even if he goes Green the two party system will still f**k him over, just like it does the rest of us. It will continue to do so as long as the masses are ignorant and easily manipulated or the government collapses somehow.

My proposed solution - amend the Constitution to declare me absolute ruler with boundless authority. I'll make it so there aren't two parties anymore. There won't even be one political party! Instead it'll be a club, and there will be free punch and cupcakes to all members.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 05:48:17 PM »

He needs to calm down and see what the final version looks like before calling it quits with the Democratic Party.  If the public insurance plan is definitely out of the final bill by the time it makes it to President Obama's desk (if it does, that is), then he can join the Greens.  Until then, he'd be well-advised to wait and see what happens first. 
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 05:52:21 PM »

The only two people who could make me overcome my incredible distaste for Obama would be Palin of Gingrich.

Marokai supports Santorum confirmed!

Anyway, I guess this'll help him in places like Arkansas and Kansas, I guess...? But I'm not giving up hope. Sad
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, 05:54:26 PM »

My, my, at Waterloo Napoleon did surrender
Oh yeah, and I have met my destiny in quite a similar way
The history book on the shelf
Is always repeating itself

Waterloo - I was defeated, you won the war
Waterloo - Promise to love you for ever more
Waterloo - Couldn't escape if I wanted to
Waterloo - Knowing my fate is to be with you
Waterloo - Finally facing my Waterloo

My, my, I tried to hold you back but you were stronger
Oh yeah, and now it seems my only chance is giving up the fight
And how could I ever refuse
I feel like I win when I lose

Waterloo - I was defeated, you won the war
Waterloo - Promise to love you for ever more

So how could I ever refuse
I feel like I win when I lose -

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 05:55:20 PM »

To all you disappointed Democrats,

Would you prefer this President to govern as divisively as he who preceded him? He's not just president of the left of the Democratic Party, he's president of ALL Americans

With Bush it might have been government for 51% and the hell with the rest; but Obama's a pragmatist not some dogmatoid arthritic. Did Americans vote pragmatism in 2008 or didn't they? That's a view many editorials took when 1) they endorsed Obama and 2) he was elected. Furthermore, the president seems loathe to use budget reconciliation to "force" legislation through. It's a tactic, IIRC, which he criticises in the The Audacity of Hope

Maybe a public option would have nailed all the lies and deceit coming from the Right - once it was in effect - but Max Baucus has as good as hit the town saying the public option is "dead"

Remember that the Democratic Party isn't some monolithic ideological block and that is only ever going to mean a lot of give and take from within let alone getting any Republicans on board. Seeking consensus is not a sign of surrender, far from it. There are days Obama must feel like he's president of 300 million presidents. In his victory speech, the president said that he would listen, especially, to those with whom he disagreed (or words to that effect)

My one big criticism of the Democrats', of course, was the fact they couldn't seem to thrash all the "nitty gritty" out in private; instead, sending out signals of dissent, division and disarray. That hasn't done Democrats any favors Roll Eyes

Trust me, I'm livid with Republicans peddling flat out lies about the NHS [Not that kind of system was even going to be an option, far from it]

Why not wait and see what comes of the final bill, first Smiley, once it has evolved through Congress, and then decide on whether it can deliver on its objectives - and yours!

Signed: Friend Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2009, 05:57:37 PM »

Would you prefer this President to govern as divisively as he who preceded him? He's not just president of the left of the Democratic Party, he's president of ALL Americans

He should act like it, then. Take a look at the polls. He's not president of the United States Congress.

Sure, he may be pragmatic, but I want some ideals.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2009, 05:58:36 PM »

Trying to cheer us up with some Abba, are you? Wink (or are you celebrating?) Tongue

I consider it especially heinous for Obama to give up on this since De Mint said, that if Republicans could defeat Obama on this, it'd be his Waterloo.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

^ This ^

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies