Why should there be conservative Democrats or liberal Republicans?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:21:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Why should there be conservative Democrats or liberal Republicans?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why should there be conservative Democrats or liberal Republicans?  (Read 3104 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2004, 01:38:02 PM »

Certain posters here seem to think this is a good thing and complain about the lack of conservative Democrats now. It makes no sense to me. There's a conservative party and a liberal party. If you're a conservative, be a Republican. If you're a liberal, be a Democrat. Sounds pretty logical to me. For what reason is there to have the opposite ideology in a party?
elcorazon

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 01:44:18 PM »

I think there are people who are conservative on economic policies and on defense, but who are socially liberal (gay marriage, abortion, affirmative action, etc.)  Arguably they should be liberal republicans.  Similarly there are people who are liberal on most economic issues, but who oppose gay marriage, oppose a woman's right to choose, etc. who would be conservative democrats.  I actually still think both exist, the liberal republicans have just been treated as outcasts, except when they want to play to the middle and the conservative democrats are actually quite strong in the dem party.  My question is where are ANY liberals in politics?  The country seems to be getting more and more conservative politically.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 11:18:25 AM »

Certain posters here seem to think this is a good thing and complain about the lack of conservative Democrats now. It makes no sense to me. There's a conservative party and a liberal party. If you're a conservative, be a Republican. If you're a liberal, be a Democrat. Sounds pretty logical to me. For what reason is there to have the opposite ideology in a party?

When I say "Conservative Democrats" I'm only refereing to people who are just Left or just Right of Center, not full blown Tom Delay types.  It is a relative term.

The problem is that there is a lack of these people and it is cause the country to polarize to the extremes more rapidly.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 11:22:17 AM »

When I say "Conservative Democrats" I'm only refereing to people who are just Left or just Right of Center, not full blown Tom Delay types.  It is a relative term.

The problem is that there is a lack of these people and it is cause the country to polarize to the extremes more rapidly.

The unwillingness for either side to compromise on a lot of issues has also contributed to the polarizations of the two sides -- not enough moderates (or at least not enough vocal ones) to balance out the full-blown partisans.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 11:26:43 AM »

The unwillingness for either side to compromise on a lot of issues has also contributed to the polarizations of the two sides -- not enough moderates (or at least not enough vocal ones) to balance out the full-blown partisans.

Yes, I meant that to apply to both parties.
Angel of Death
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 04:11:16 PM »

Sorry, but in all honesty I think that's a stupid question to ask.

You've might have noticed how beliefs differ in different parts of the country. In order for a candidate to stand a chance of being elected (s)he has to look up the local median and then position him/herself close to it. Compare Lincoln Chafee with Zell Miller.

See now why the two-party system sucks so bad?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 04:12:42 PM »

Liberal Republicans who switch to the Democratic Party would easily become the Conservative Democrats you dislike. And Vica Versa...the issues would just be different.

Its all relative.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 04:17:49 PM »

I was a liberal "rockefeller"republican at one point.
then the wing nuts took over.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 04:20:54 PM »

I was a liberal "rockefeller"republican at one point.
then the wing nuts took over.

Unfortunately.

Lincoln and TR must be rolling over in their graves.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 04:27:13 PM »

The last republican i could have voted for was Ford.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 05:42:02 PM »

Bush Sr. wasn't too bad.

Too bad McCain didn't run.
badnarikin04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2004, 09:48:34 PM »

The reason there are so many of these people is because the Dems and Reps are just too damn similar.

Bush vs. Kerry is like rotten McIntosh apple vs. rotten Granny Smith apple.

It's two choices you hate for almost the same reason.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 10:06:13 PM »

Liberal Republicans who switch to the Democratic Party would easily become the Conservative Democrats you dislike. And Vica Versa...the issues would just be different.

Its all relative.

that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm not talking about moderates, people in the center who could probably fit in either party. I'm talking about Zell Miller basically, a right wing extremist in the Democratic party. Now is there any reason for him to be a Democrat? Yet for some reason people like StatesRights say the Democrats should be conservative, which makes no sense, since we don't need two conservative parties. This has happened many times when I get in arguments about Zell Miller here, the bottom line is, what reason is there for him to be a Democrat?
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2004, 06:33:43 PM »

I think that the Zell Millers of the world are fairly rare. I would imagine that Zell would change parties if he was not at the end of his political career. By his own admission, he comes from a different time and place in the history of the Democratic Party. And, he is sticking with that moniker mainly out of nostalga rather than practicality.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2004, 12:45:56 PM »

Its all relative.

that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm not talking about moderates, people in the center who could probably fit in either party. I'm talking about Zell Miller basically, a right wing extremist in the Democratic party. Now is there any reason for him to be a Democrat? Yet for some reason people like StatesRights say the Democrats should be conservative, which makes no sense, since we don't need two conservative parties. This has happened many times when I get in arguments about Zell Miller here, the bottom line is, what reason is there for him to be a Democrat?

I don't know if you've ever been to Georgia or Alabama, etc, but there are a lot of pretty conservative Democrats that have been democrats for a long time, and continue to elect Democrats into the House of Representatives -- if anything, they allow the Democrats to not become crushed in numbers by the Republicans in Congress.
raggage

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2004, 04:36:44 AM »

Bush Sr. wasn't too bad.

Too bad McCain didn't run.

Personally I'd like to see Snowe or Chafee run, on the Republican side, and maybe someone like Bayh run on the Democrat side.

Good to see you back bullmoose
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies