New way of measuring political affiliation- how strong of a partisan you are
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:12:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  New way of measuring political affiliation- how strong of a partisan you are
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Well- how close do you follow your party's principals?
I'm an exceptionally strong partisan, that only really agrees with my party's 10 or 20 most  partisan members of the senate. Sometimes I criticize my party's highest elected official for not being partisan enough.

I'm pretty much a rank-and-file partisan. I disagree with my party from time to time, but its usually not a big deal (nothing like health care reform or abortion)

I'm a pretty moderate partisan. I am definately a member of my party, but I have a host of independent positions. I still agree with my party about 85% of the time.

I'm on the edge of my party. I have some major disagreements with my party, but still like to call myself an Independent Partisan

I'm an independent, who really doesn't like the policies of either party, however, I still find myself criticizing/voting for one party than I do another

I'm a true Independent! I'm a member of the radical center and my vote will be up for grabs at least as late as the debates.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: New way of measuring political affiliation- how strong of a partisan you are  (Read 3470 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2009, 08:49:47 AM »

In the United States, I'd lean option 5 partly because the Republicans are so far to the right of my positions, even if I may agree with them on some fiscal positions. I still have no great love for the Democrats, who are spineless, but in most races, they're still the least bad. That said, I'd vote for a moderate Republicans who doesn't campaign on OMG BABYKILLING LIBERALS OMG THE GAYZ all the time.

In Canada, I'm a moderate partisan for the Liberal Party. I agree with the party's platform and they're the viable alternative to the Forces of Darkness. That said, there are a number of Liberal MPs I wouldn't vote for (the old crooks, idiots and so forth) and would vote for a Green over them. And there are a number of provincial Liberal affiliated parties I don't support (Newfoundland comes to mind). If there was ever a viable Red Tory party, I'd be the first to join it. And no, former PC members that are now Tories like Peter McKay or Tony Clement don't count since they're fakes.

In France, I don't have a party and my support switches between UMP, NC, Greens, and sometimes even PS. But if there is a Breton Party candidate, I vote for them.

TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2009, 02:30:14 PM »

Option 3.  Other than local, there are few reasons for me to vote GOP.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2009, 05:02:14 PM »

Difficult to say : in fact, I often disagree with the Democrats, but only because I consider them as too moderate. Als, it's difficult to consider myself as strongly partisan : I'm mostly strongly ideological.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2009, 06:02:22 PM »

Option 2 for the most part.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »

Between one and two, actually.  I think I tend to vote and think like description ONE.  But because I worry about hubris and dangerous political assumptions...I might "preach" or "kvetch" a bit from description two...or even three.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2009, 06:20:45 PM »

Between Option 3 and 4, I honestly don't vote for someone on the basis of party, but I usually vote Republican because I agree with them.  Still consider myself a libertarian idelogically though
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2009, 08:01:03 PM »

In Australia - Highly Partisan.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2009, 08:16:58 PM »

Option 2.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2009, 09:18:10 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2009, 09:25:48 PM by Alcon »

Option 5, I guess.

Unfortunately, I think partisanship is completely necessary to getting things done.  Having 35% of voters, and a hell of a lot of activists, automatically more sympathetic to your cause, is powerful.

Unfortunately I feel a disconnect from most activists of one party, and a profound cultural gap from most activists of the other.  Beyond issues, I'm afraid it'd end up combative.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2009, 10:16:45 AM »

Interesting question.  I suppose I'm still partial to the GOP (specifically, the local GOP in MA and NJ), but I quickly jump off the ship the second I smell something bad with regard to issues I care strongly about.  I'll support Democratic incumbents who have done something to impress me or otherwise earn my vote through their issue positions, but if there's no effort, I'll typically walk over to the GOP by default.

I voted McCain (MA) in '08; Kerry (PA) in '04; I ticket split for Kerry Healey (had I not had a previous working relationship with her, I might not have—her campaign was embarassing) and Ted Kennedy in 2006.

And in the case that I'm really flustered with the choices, I'm not afraid to go third party. Casting a vote for Bill Schulter in the 2001 NJ Governor's race was one of my prouder voting booth moments.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2009, 12:11:33 PM »

Option 4.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2009, 12:14:34 PM »

Between option 3 and 4, leaning more to option 3.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »

Tetering between option 4 and 5
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada