Is it smart for the Democrats to pursue the "nuclear option" on healthcare?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:18:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is it smart for the Democrats to pursue the "nuclear option" on healthcare?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ^
Yes

No

Other (explain)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Is it smart for the Democrats to pursue the "nuclear option" on healthcare?  (Read 2155 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 01:10:46 PM »

Well, I think we have satisfied the Just War doctrine so to speak...so...

By the nuclear option, do we mean eliminating the filibuster or the shoe horning in of the health care bill into the budget reconciliation?  If the latter, I don't see how that will work since it takes a two thirds vote (I think it is two thirds, but 60 votes anyway) to override any objection that the health care bill is not appropriate to include in a revenue bill.

Well, if we can get what little in we can this way, we could probably put in what will beat a fillibuster and then reconcile from there. If that doesn't work, we will have to kill the fillibuster.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 04:41:53 PM »

I seem to keep forgetting, do the Democrats hold supermajorities in both houses? That they would even need to use the nuclear option is pretty pathetic.
RScannix
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: -6.61

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 04:47:06 PM »

Yes -given that Republicans have apparently not been negotiating in good faith, it makes perfect sense to ditch them.  As I recall, we won a mandate last November -why not use it?  

And I suppose you weren't criticizing Bush for assuming a mandate back in '04?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 04:49:20 PM »

I seem to keep forgetting, do the Democrats hold supermajorities in both houses?

Try piracetam. It's very good for Alzheimer's.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2009, 04:55:10 PM »

Well, Bush did got a lot done on 51% of the vote. He was able to maintain the occupation of Iraq, create a completely center-right Supreme Court (though not right-wing), block stem cell research and allow states to enforce their laws restricting abortions to minors.

The only thing that was defeated was trying to sell Social Security....and if it wasn't for Schaivo and Katrina, he probably could have succeeded.

Obama has 53% of the vote and 58% of Congress (Bill Clinton was elected with 43% of the vote and 59% of Congress and re-elected with 48% of the vote and 46% of Congress). The biggest total mandate since Ronald Reagan had 60% of the vote and 50% of Congress. As such, his combined mandate is the biggest we seen in a while.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2009, 09:00:07 PM »

Yes, he has attempted to do it in a bi-partisan manner.  The Republicans have proven they have no interest in doing anything about health care and have resorted to just making crap up in order to scare the living hell out of the American people (including lying about proposals made by fellow Republicans and then attributing it to Obama).  If we were at a stand still because the GOP was at least attempting to negotiate in good faith, but we just weren't able to agree that would be one thing.  However, they aren't even remotely trying to negotiate in good faith, so go for it.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2009, 09:40:25 PM »

Yes, he has attempted to do it in a bi-partisan manner.  The Republicans have proven they have no interest in doing anything about health care and have resorted to just making crap up in order to scare the living hell out of the American people (including lying about proposals made by fellow Republicans and then attributing it to Obama).  If we were at a stand still because the GOP was at least attempting to negotiate in good faith, but we just weren't able to agree that would be one thing.  However, they aren't even remotely trying to negotiate in good faith, so go for it.

Not everybody in the GOP is spreading lies. Just yesterday I say Sen. Hatch own a Democratic Senator with straight up facts.

The Democrats spread lies too you know. 2005 Social security reform anybody?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2009, 09:45:24 PM »

Not everybody in the GOP is spreading lies. Just yesterday I say Sen. Hatch own a Democratic Senator with straight up facts.

Oh, so it's all about payback now?  Good to know the GOP is willing to put their desire for vengeance ahead of the nation's interest. 
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2009, 09:46:22 PM »

link?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2009, 09:47:23 PM »

Ya, and the Dems are being disingenuous about costs absent quite Draconian rationing, as well as the truncation of private sector medical research into drugs or much of anything else. This issue is just too painful for politicians to be candid about. Having said that, some in the  GOP suggesting that killing health care is a good way to neuter Obama so let's do it, is nauseating - partisanship gone really bad.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2009, 11:29:42 AM »

I think they'd lose seats in 2010, but if the reform winds up being a great success, it may work out in their favor.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies