Anyone collect political buttons?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:16:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Anyone collect political buttons?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone collect political buttons?  (Read 1740 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2009, 11:44:09 PM »

I don't collect them just to have a collection, but I like to gather ones from old candidates and parties I particularly like. I got a Henry Wallace '48 button today.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 11:46:49 PM »

I have a couple. I have a President Ford button and an Kennedy '80 button. Also an old Johnson Button and [I kick myself every time] I used to have a JFK button my Grandma gave to me. It broke though and now I can't find it. Sad
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 11:55:28 PM »

I don't collect buttons, but I've always been interested in campaign logos.  There's a thread on the subject here

I have a couple. I have a President Ford button and an Kennedy '80 button. Also an old Johnson Button and [I kick myself every time] I used to have a JFK button my Grandma gave to me. It broke though and now I can't find it. Sad

When I was younger, I was on my way out the door to go to a Met game.  I yelled to my mother to throw me a baseball (we kept them in a crate in the basement).  She tossed me one, which I proceeded to throw around the Shea Stadium parking lot, bouncing it along the pavement and scraping it up of course.  It only took me about 15 minutes to realize that it was my Yogi Berra autographed ball. Sad
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 06:24:35 AM »

I've started a collection of political signs. They cover a good portion of my room. I need to expand to Democrats on it...
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 07:32:44 AM »

I used to, and have a pretty sizable collection.  I got tired of collecting the usual presidential campaign buttons that everyone else has, though, and shifted my attention towards more unusual, downballot buttons.

Two of my favorites are a pair of Millicent Fenwick buttons (1982 U.S. Senate, NJ) and a Silvio Conte (U.S. House, MA) button.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 10:46:32 AM »

I could...but I spend all my ducats on Civil War relics.  Still, there is some crossover.  Political ballots, broadsides, letters, ferrotype buttons, autographs and ribbons are all part of the Civil War genre.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 04:09:36 AM »

I don't collect buttons, but I've always been interested in campaign logos.  There's a thread on the subject here

When I was younger, I was on my way out the door to go to a Met game.  I yelled to my mother to throw me a baseball (we kept them in a crate in the basement).  She tossed me one, which I proceeded to throw around the Shea Stadium parking lot, bouncing it along the pavement and scraping it up of course.  It only took me about 15 minutes to realize that it was my Yogi Berra autographed ball. Sad

That blows. Do you still have it/is it in okay condition? I really kick myself every time I think about that button. It was my favorite/most valued collectible, and my Grandmother gave it to me which gave it a bigger importance. Boo.. Sad
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 04:12:37 AM »

I have a McGovern 1972 button and of course a bunch of Obama buttons. The McGovern button is cool because the metal thing on the back is super sharp and relatively big, so I've never worn it because it would destroy my shirt. I also have a Mark Warner for Senate sign for some reason.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 12:48:33 PM »

That blows. Do you still have it/is it in okay condition? I really kick myself every time I think about that button. It was my favorite/most valued collectible, and my Grandmother gave it to me which gave it a bigger importance. Boo.. Sad

It's probably in my parents' basement somewhere.  It was scuffed up pretty bad, but I think Yogi's signature was still legible. 

I know what you're saying about yout grandmother's button.  My grandmother gave me a gold bracelet some years ago, but I lost it.  I don't even think I would wear it now, but I still miss it more than the Yogi ball.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 02:33:12 PM »

I have buttons for Webb, Warner, and Obama; and a bumper sticker for Humphrey/Muskie.  I also have some autographs, and that's what I really collect.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 02:41:11 PM »

I also have some autographs, and that's what I really collect.

Just political or any?

Good for you, Ben.  I think autographs are a great thing to collect.  You have to be extremely careful with sports and entertainment autographs, but you're on somewhat safer ground with political and historical ones.  (There are exceptions, of course.)

The market is fairly depressed right now but it will bounce back.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 02:52:43 PM »

A while back, my sister got me a set of (modern remakes of) campaign buttons for every Dem Presidential candidate for the last 100 years.  For some reason, the Mondale pin was missing.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 05:23:34 PM »

I just took everything down in my room, but I did re-hang my Bush 00 and Schundler 01 posters
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 09:18:24 PM »

Doubt there's anyway for me to prove the provenance, but I have a Reagan-Bush '84 button I got from the official launch party for the campaign at the Mayflower Hotel in Washington, DC.  I was at the Mayflower for other reasons, and anyway at that stage of the campaign I was a Hollings supporter.  (Have one of his '84 campaign buttons as well.)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 09:22:01 PM »

Yes, I got a "Hoover 1928" and "I Like Ike"

I also have "Dewey/Warren" and "We Want Willkie"
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 01:52:37 PM »

Just political or any?

Just political; so far, I've got:
Barack Obama
Luther Hodges
Richard B. Russell
Sam Rayburn
Carl Hayden
Everett Dirksen
Harry Byrd Sr.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 02:03:57 PM »

Just political or any?

Just political; so far, I've got:
Barack Obama
Luther Hodges
Richard B. Russell
Sam Rayburn
Carl Hayden
Everett Dirksen
Harry Byrd Sr.

Damn impressive collection.  Are they clip signatures or signatures on documents?  It doesn't matter -- all are quite collectable -- I am just curious. 

Beware the autopen.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 02:23:47 PM »

Damn impressive collection.  Are they clip signatures or signatures on documents?  It doesn't matter -- all are quite collectable -- I am just curious. 

Beware the autopen.

Barack Obama - Piece of paper, signed by him, in person, at an airport (addressed to me)
Luther Hodges - Photograph, addressed to my Grandfather (Hodges was his boss at the time)
Richard B. Russell - Letter to Senator Jennings Randolph on official Armed Services Committee paper.
Sam Rayburn - Letter to a Texas constituent just after being elected Speaker
Carl Hayden - Letter to an Arizona constituent
Everett Dirksen - Letter to an Illinois constituent following accepting an invitation to speak at a funeral.
Harry Byrd Sr. - Notecard
Hubert H. Humphrey - Letter to my Grandfather from the Vice President's office

They all appear to be very genuine signatures, and I take them as such.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 02:33:40 PM »

Beware the autopen.

Barack Obama - Piece of paper, signed by him, in person, at an airport (addressed to me)
Luther Hodges - Photograph, addressed to my Grandfather (Hodges was his boss at the time)
Richard B. Russell - Letter to Senator Jennings Randolph on official Armed Services Committee paper.
Sam Rayburn - Letter to a Texas constituent just after being elected Speaker
Carl Hayden - Letter to an Arizona constituent
Everett Dirksen - Letter to an Illinois constituent following accepting an invitation to speak at a funeral.
Harry Byrd Sr. - Notecard
Hubert H. Humphrey - Letter to my Grandfather from the Vice President's office

They all appear to be very genuine signatures, and I take them as such.

Also, you have a lot of guys there who might not have needed the autopen...except possibly, Humphrey.  This is really great, Ben.  If you ever branch out and need help authenticating ca. 1860's autographs, give me a shout.  :-)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies