Exciting Senate Possibility
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:46:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Exciting Senate Possibility
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Exciting Senate Possibility  (Read 4113 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2009, 02:23:38 AM »

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2009/08/26/romney_for_senate.html

August 26, 2009

Romney for Senate?
Peter Roff looks at the possibility Mitt Romney could seek the late Sen. Ted Kennedy's seat in a special election.

"Such an announcement would likely be embraced immediately by the Republicans, who would like almost nothing more than to deny Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada his new, hard-won, 60-vote, filibuster-proof majority. As a self-funding candidate who has already been elected once statewide, Romney has nearly 100 percent name ID. And, in an environment where President Obama seems to be dragging the Democrats down, he would be a serious threat to the Democratic hegemony in Massachusetts's congressional delegation. Meaning Romney likely would win."

"If he did, Romney would then have a platform to actually introduce legislation modeled on the proposals he put forward as a presidential candidate in 2008 and planned to put forward in 2012. No guesswork. No empty rhetoric. Real ideas, on the Senate floor, that could be evaluated, debated, and perhaps even voted on."

Would love this.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 02:56:38 AM »

I'm not buying this.  The Democratic establishment would murder Romney, and it's not like Democrats don't have a gigantic bench who would all kill for a senate seat.

Plus, I want Romney as president!  No one else can beat Obama.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 06:39:55 AM »

Didn't he move to New Hampshire or Nevada or something?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 07:04:06 AM »

Hands out of pants. Not gonna happen.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 07:42:20 AM »

Didn't he move to New Hampshire or Nevada or something?

He can still run for those races AND this one too!
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 08:20:37 AM »

I wave my finger at opportunism.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 09:21:57 AM »

Exciting news only for Mike Huckabee and Sarah Palin.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 12:05:54 PM »

I can just see this being the new "flip-flopper" in 2012.  "Well, Mitt Romney wanted to run for races in California, Utah, Nevada, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts!  What a carpetbagger!"  And just like last time, it's all media speculation, not Romney's own actions.

No, he did actually change his legal residence. I remember when it happened. I just can't remember which state it was. I think New Hampshire is right.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 12:19:08 PM »

I can just see this being the new "flip-flopper" in 2012.  "Well, Mitt Romney wanted to run for races in California, Utah, Nevada, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts!  What a carpetbagger!"  And just like last time, it's all media speculation, not Romney's own actions.

No, he did actually change his legal residence. I remember when it happened. I just can't remember which state it was. I think New Hampshire is right.

It was NH. I think he sold his MA home though.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 12:23:17 PM »

I whud buy a gun and kill him if he did that.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 02:10:59 PM »

I like  you Mitt but I have only this to say...................

SamInTheSouth

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 08:28:44 PM »

I doubt there is anything to this.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 08:32:34 AM »

First of all: He's already announced he's not running

Second of all: He's finished in Massachusetts (look at his approval there). He could do something there as a "Liberal Republican", but nobody going to believe that again. Following his flops, he's unelectable there

Only an idiot can believe Romney have a future in Massachusetts
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 09:00:28 AM »

First of all: He's already announced he's not running

Second of all: He's finished in Massachusetts (look at his approval there). He could do something there as a "Liberal Republican", but nobody going to believe that again. Following his flops, he's unelectable there

Only an idiot can believe Romney have a future in Massachusetts

^this. Romney left office with about a 34% approval rating and isn't particularly popular there. Even if you believe that Romney is a political chameleon with no core beliefs, him running as a liberal or even a moderate Republican just isn't credible at this point.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 01:37:36 AM »

Romney is a fool not to run.  He has no chance of winning, but so what?  The point wouldn't be to win, it would be to sieze the stage as the nation's great advocate for conservative values with the guts to finance his own doomed campaign for the Senate seat of the liberal lion, Ted Kennedy.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Romney to prove to the doubters that he is truly dedicated to what we believe in.  He should run, and he should run an entirely positive campaign based on ideas.  He will lose, but if he loses with valor he will earn my respect and the respect of many others.  He would show his conversions were real and that he is willing to take risks to defend them.

The knock on Romney is that he cares about winning, not ideas.  He could end that talk by running a campaign with no chance of winning solely because it gave him a high profile stage to talk about ideas and an opportunity to change a few minds.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 01:38:54 AM »

Romney is a fool not to run.  He has no chance of winning, but so what?  The point wouldn't be to win, it would be to sieze the stage as the nation's great advocate for conservative values with the guts to finance his own doomed campaign for the Senate seat of the liberal lion, Ted Kennedy.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Romney to prove to the doubters that he is truly dedicated to what we believe in.  He should run, and he should run an entirely positive campaign based on ideas.  He will lose, but if he loses with valor he will earn my respect and the respect of many others.  He would show his conversions were real and that he is willing to take risks to defend them.

The knock on Romney is that he cares about winning, not ideas.  He could end that talk by running a campaign with no chance of winning solely because it gave him a high profile stage to talk about ideas and an opportunity to change a few minds.

I personally love this assessment. Good introspective analysis. Wink
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 01:39:47 AM »

and then lose by 20%, which looks bad for momentum... which is what the chattering class of reporters values above all else

honestly, this is probably the easiest decision Romney's ever made

RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 07:35:16 PM »

I would love to see Romney run for the seat and lose.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 08:47:43 AM »

I would love to see Romney run for the seat and lose.

So I would love to see this

He's finished in Bay State and everyone who think otherwise, according to DWTL words, is retarded Grin
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies