Hezbollah tries to do it's thing, gets denied by locals
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:07:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Hezbollah tries to do it's thing, gets denied by locals
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hezbollah tries to do it's thing, gets denied by locals  (Read 1079 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2009, 03:17:52 AM »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Good news.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 05:00:14 AM »

Two days later the members of the Shiite organization finally left the mostly Sunni village under Lebanese Army protection.
This is the key sentence.
And it doesn't mean that they won't abandon their differences if Israel is so stupid to invade again.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 05:17:20 AM »

I noticed you forgot to mention why they stupidly invaded, but I understand those facts are not very important to you as you only see things from one side. 

Also good job turning this negative!  When I saw that it was you that had responded I thought to myself, "well, he certainly won't have anything good to say here...probably blame or insult Israel" and here you are, playing your role perfectly.  Good show sir!
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 05:25:16 AM »

I noticed you forgot to mention why they stupidly invaded, but I understand those facts are not very important to you as you only see things from one side. 

Also good job turning this negative!  When I saw that it was you that had responded I thought to myself, "well, he certainly won't have anything good to say here...probably blame or insult Israel" and here you are, playing your role perfectly.  Good show sir!
I have not tried to deny the reason why they wanted to take over the village. I just showed you the only reason why they failed.
And I haven't blamed Israel for anything. I just indicated that the conflict between Sunnis and Shia, while it exists, will not last another Israeli invasion, as the 2006 war shows.
As for insulting Israel - how to else the qualify the 2006 war, which greatly strengthened Hezbollah's power in Lebanon?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 05:49:40 AM »

I have not tried to deny the reason why they wanted to take over the village. I just showed you the only reason why they failed.
I was referring to why the Israelis invaded Lebanon, not why the Hezzies were trying to remove people from their homes.  I'm pretty sure you are not among the few that ignorantly agree with them (the Hezzies).
You must be logged in to read this quote.
It (the war in 2006) wasn't waged well from Israel's prospective, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't have happened.  It should have just happened smarter/better.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 06:37:12 AM »

Yes, Israel in reataliation of the kidnapping of two of its soldiers devastated an entire country, including its non-Hezbollah parts. The destruction of Hezbollah might have been an worthwile operation, but the Israelis seemed to want to destroy the whole country. And subsequent events showed that they haven't learend from their mistakes, so it's rather likely that the result of a second invasion of Lebanon will be pretty much the same.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 06:47:02 AM »

They may have "seemed" to want to destroy the whole country and they certainly had the means....yet they didn't destroy the whole country.  Even if the Hezzies and the media tried to make it appear that way in the press.  cite (just in case you forgot)
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 07:12:07 AM »

They may have "seemed" to want to destroy the whole country and they certainly had the means....yet they didn't destroy the whole country.  Even if the Hezzies and the media tried to make it appear that way in the press.  cite (just in case you forgot)
All sides tend to lie during a war. This doesn't change the overall picture:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_2006_Lebanon_War
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 07:46:14 AM »

Those numbers would be a little more even (as if that should be a goal in war) if the bad guys were acting like a proper military (or even just proper human beings) and not hiding in apartment buildings full of innocents.  Then forcing them to stay there while they fire their rockets directly at civilians.  Thankfully the govt in Israel actually cares about it's people and allows them freedom of movement and safe places to hide when the bad guys shoot at them.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 08:34:15 AM »

Those numbers would be a little more even (as if that should be a goal in war) if the bad guys were acting like a proper military (or even just proper human beings) and not hiding in apartment buildings full of innocents.  Then forcing them to stay there while they fire their rockets directly at civilians.  Thankfully the govt in Israel actually cares about it's people and allows them freedom of movement and safe places to hide when the bad guys shoot at them.
Then why were non-Hezbollah areas bombed?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 08:41:10 AM »

Fog of war?  Why were so many spared if the Israelis were trying to "destroy the whole country"?  Again, they had the means, yet they didn't.  Odd.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 02:37:29 PM »

Fog of war?  Why were so many spared if the Israelis were trying to "destroy the whole country"?  Again, they had the means, yet they didn't.  Odd.
I don't understand what you mean. Fact is, Israel attacked targets unconnected with Hezbollah, sometimes far away from any areas where they are active. This is not fog of war. Either Israeli intelligence is completely ineffective or they were punishing the entire country for Hezbollah, which is what the general opinion in Lebanon.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 04:09:10 PM »

It (the war in 2006) wasn't waged well from Israel's prospective, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't have happened.  It should have just happened smarter/better.

LOL! That's exactly the same garbage excuse I hear about Vietnam.

And GMantis is right. Israel wiped out the Beirut International Airport and some government targets. Imagine if some guerilla group in northern Mexico did a cross-border raid and kidnapped two Americans, so in response the US destroyed Mexico City's airport and the capitol.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 04:22:26 PM »

And GMantis is right. Israel wiped out the Beirut International Airport and some government targets. Imagine if some guerilla group in northern Mexico did a cross-border raid and kidnapped two Americans, so in response the US destroyed Mexico City's airport and the capitol.
Seriously?  You want to go down this road again?  The Hezzies are a substantial part of the Lebanese govt, they are not just some "guerilla group".  I'm pretty sure you know this.
I don't understand what you mean. Fact is, Israel attacked targets unconnected with Hezbollah, sometimes far away from any areas where they are active. This is not fog of war. Either Israeli intelligence is completely ineffective or they were punishing the entire country for Hezbollah, which is what the general opinion in Lebanon.
Again, Israel has the means to destroy the country, yet they didn't.  Why? 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 04:25:38 PM »

..and why are you guys sh**tting on the good news?  I mentioned in the Israel thread that the conditions in the West Bank are improving and that got sh**t on too.  I'm starting to get the feeling peace isn't what you're after.  It certainly isn't the goal of the asshats in Hezbollah.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 07:59:20 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2009, 08:00:52 PM by Well I guess this is growing up »

So I suppose it would've been OK for the UK to bomb Dublin in response to IRA attacks due to Sinn Fein's presence in the Irish Parliament, right?

And Hezbollah is in the opposition bloc in the Lebanese government.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 08:41:03 PM »

Seriously?  You want to go down this road again?  The Hezzies are a substantial part of the Lebanese govt, they are not just some "guerilla group".  I'm pretty sure you know this.
Again, Israel has the means to destroy the country, yet they didn't.  Why? 

Hezbollah is largely Shi'ite.

Shi'ites are not evenly distributed throughout the country, they are concentrated in Baalbeck and the South.

With this in mind, why were Sunni, Druze and Christian areas bombed?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 04:01:42 PM »

Hezbollah is largely Shi'ite.

Shi'ites are not evenly distributed throughout the country, they are concentrated in Baalbeck and the South.

With this in mind, why were Sunni, Druze and Christian areas bombed?

Perhaps the Israelis knew of some arms caches there?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies