Out of work club
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:33:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Out of work club
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Out of work club  (Read 986 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2009, 12:56:36 AM »

It is how it sounds.  I know I'm not the only one to lose a job on here recently so this is for those who are also out of work.  What industry were you in?  What did you do?  How long have you been out of work? 
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 12:57:01 AM »

Two jobs, about to pick up a 3rd.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 07:48:18 AM »

It is how it sounds.  I know I'm not the only one to lose a job on here recently so this is for those who are also out of work.  What industry were you in?  What did you do?  How long have you been out of work? 

I just recently got a job after a long time unemployed (about six months in total), so hang in there—there are people hiring. In an economy like this, you really need to lean on your friends to keep you up to date of under-the-radar job opportunities. Most places are making hiring decision before jobs even get posted.

You may also want to think about making a lateral move from the industry you were working in to something new with an overlapping skill set.  I used to work in the publishing industry as an editor; my experience with anatomy and medical topics was a key reason I was able to get my new job in cancer research writing.

Aside from that, I can only say that ancedotal evidence shows that the job market is improving somewhat—I got two calls from my old temp agency last week asking me if I was interested in work because they had some opportunities for me.

Good luck!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 07:50:07 AM »

You've lost two jobs already?  Hah hah, what a loser.

As for me, I have a job, but it surely cannot last (nothing to do with the economy).
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 08:24:34 AM »

As for me, I have a job, but it surely cannot last (nothing to do with the economy).

If you reread the post, I believe he is stating that he currently works two jobs, and is adding on a third.

Whew!

But, my employer is constantly after me to put in more hours (being exempt means no overtime, we're supposed to get comp time eventually, but only when we're not needed.  There is a limit to how much comp time you can carry over, and a lot of us are very unhappy that the employer wants us to lose time by not allowing us to use it).
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 09:04:41 AM »

If you reread the post, I believe he is stating that he currently works two jobs, and is adding on a third.

Whew!

But, my employer is constantly after me to put in more hours (being exempt means no overtime, we're supposed to get comp time eventually, but only when we're not needed.  There is a limit to how much comp time you can carry over, and a lot of us are very unhappy that the employer wants us to lose time by not allowing us to use it).

Yes, I know what he meant.  Perhaps you can discern the real reason I called him a 'loser' - bragging of an excess of employment to the unemployed.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 09:46:30 AM »

Recently laid off around the first of the year, just got hired back, industrial line for me.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 10:21:24 AM »

CPA firm.  Mostly tax preparation/compliance with some planning.  Yep, I did everything- individuals, businesses, estates/trusts for Federal, State, and Local entities.  I was also involved in some financial statement audits, reviews and compilations.  Been out for almost 8 months, but hiring season is on the horizon for me and firms/recruiters are popping up.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 10:52:48 AM »

I'm lucky. I was unemployed at the beginning of 2008 thanks to just being a college graduate, but I nailed a decent job only 3 months later. Turns out the hiring strategy here is just to hire as many people as possible and then let go the ones who can't do the job. Luckily I am one of the few who can. Then I got promoted.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 10:56:15 AM »

I'm graduating in December and taking the bar exam in February.  I'll then be joining the "Out of Work Club".
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 11:00:16 AM »

I'm graduating in December and taking the bar exam in February.  I'll then be joining the "Out of Work Club".

No offers?  Wow and I was thinking of law school, namely a JD/LLM in Taxation to become a Tax Attorney to make my resume look more attractive and secure a higher paying job.  My friend only got 1 out of Temple Law, but that was 2008.  Passing the bar will definitely help.  I'm still waiting on 2 parts of the CPA exam and hopefully I'll be finished with that.  Thankfully I have some experience so I have a leg up on the recent graduates.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 11:19:21 AM »

It's boom times in anything remotely related to construction over here, actually. Government Economic Stimulus packages of the kind Mmiddle of the road governments dare to pass affect the sector more than economic downturns themselves do. (this'd change if we moved towards genuine Second Great Depression territory, obviously.)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 11:20:45 AM »

Whew!

Yes, I know what he meant.  Perhaps you can discern the real reason I called him a 'loser' - bragging of an excess of employment to the unemployed.

Just pointing out that there are plenty of opportunities.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 01:01:03 PM »

No offers?

Nope, the legal industry has been hit just as hard as the financial industry.  I don't go to a Top Tier school, and I'm not ranked in the top 10% of my class, so I'm basically in a holding pattern for the time being. 

It's been pretty bad, regardless.  I have a friend who graduated cum laude from my school in May 2008 and had trouble finding a job.  I have another friend who graduated from Albany Law that same May and he's still out of work. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I would highly recommend it.  Two areas of law that are highest in demand are tax law (because tax attorneys usually need an accounting degree; a lot are CPAs) and patent law (patent attorneys have hard science degrees, and have to pass the patent bar). 

I just starting taking "Federal Income Taxation: Individual" and I love it.  Unfortunately, instead of getting the more worthwhile Accounting degree in college, I was lazy and got a Finance degree.  My school offers an LLM in Tax.  I've briefly considered it, but I'm not sure right now. 

I believe there's a tax attorney who posts here.  I think it's BullMoose, if you want to hit him up for info. 

Good for you, buddy.  You'll be in good shape once the smoke clears. 
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 01:10:19 PM »

Erm.  Point(s) of clarification.

I am not an attorney (yet) and I highly doubt that when I become one (be it in October/November or next spring), I will be a tax attorney right off the bat.

I enjoyed tax in law school (my best group of subjects on average) and as an undergrad I double majored, one major was economics, and I did take a couple accounting courses and did in the B range.

I am not going for an LLM anytime soon, and that would be a huge leap forward (though not 100% required) in doing tax law.  I'm sure the mega firms would want that extra degree, but you deal with taxation in so many aspects (hey look, I suffered a personal injury, what part of the reward is taxable? or The wench and I are getting divorced, how should we divy up the assets etc...or junior is going to college, I'll loan him the money, should I make that a term or non-term loan?) that you're going to hit those issues in plenty of other legal arenas, with or without the LLM.

Oh, and for the purposes of this thread, while I have never been laid off (life long lose...student) I am seeking but have not yet found work.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 01:23:28 PM »

As for me I was working in the financial industry for a large bank in Manhattan.  I worked in  pricing for Mutual and Hedge Funds, laid off earlier in the year.  I currently work one day a week in retail and collect unemployment.  I am looking to get back into the Industry, but the only hits I have really had so far are a few Financial Advisor (Commission based) positions. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 02:26:08 PM »

Oh really? Doing what?

(obviously there are not plenty of opportunities or we'd be having full employment)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 02:30:02 PM »

No offers?

Nope, the legal industry has been hit just as hard as the financial industry.  I don't go to a Top Tier school, and I'm not ranked in the top 10% of my class, so I'm basically in a holding pattern for the time being. 

It's been pretty bad, regardless.  I have a friend who graduated cum laude from my school in May 2008 and had trouble finding a job.  I have another friend who graduated from Albany Law that same May and he's still out of work. 

I would highly recommend it.  Two areas of law that are highest in demand are tax law (because tax attorneys usually need an accounting degree; a lot are CPAs) and patent law (patent attorneys have hard science degrees, and have to pass the patent bar). 

I just starting taking "Federal Income Taxation: Individual" and I love it.  Unfortunately, instead of getting the more worthwhile Accounting degree in college, I was lazy and got a Finance degree.  My school offers an LLM in Tax.  I've briefly considered it, but I'm not sure right now. 

I believe there's a tax attorney who posts here.  I think it's BullMoose, if you want to hit him up for info. 

Good for you, buddy.  You'll be in good shape once the smoke clears. 

It seems really education and health are the only 2 that aren't losing right now.  Law/Accounting/Finance seem to be the mid-tier right now in the sense they're "kinda" getting killed.  I think in our cases it's a cyclical, rather than a structural thing.  With manufacturing and the auto industry.. well.. you're just screwed and it's structural- should retrain.  Construction is a hard one for me- Residential/Commercial Building yeah.. NEXT, but infrastructure should be HUGE.

The other, and probably less expensive and academically challenging option is the MBA/MS in Taxation which Philadelphia University offers.  I'm definitely more of a quantitative thinker rather than a verbal one I'll admit, but I'm not bad on the latter.  Thing is a CPA/JD/LLM in Taxation could make in the low 100s to start in the Philly area.  Might be worth the debt, but I have to run the numbers.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 02:32:31 PM »

Oh really? Doing what?

(obviously there are not plenty of opportunities or we'd be having full employment)

Uhh.. yeah.. Say can he be my recruiter?  If he is I'm all ears.

The past few places I interviewed at that I got good feedback from I was a "finalist" out of many applications.  And this is the unsexy field of tax accounting, not American Idol.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 03:38:07 PM »

I'm an invalid at the moment. Does that count?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 03:43:17 PM »

Oh really? Doing what?

The past few places I interviewed at that I got good feedback from I was a "finalist" out of many applications.  And this is the unsexy field of tax accounting, not American Idol.

Well, I'm only 18 but I work at a construction company, a recording studio, and in a couple of weeks, a clothing store.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2009, 04:20:21 PM »

Oh really? Doing what?

Well, I'm only 18 but I work at a construction company, a recording studio, and in a couple of weeks, a clothing store.

Excuse me, but what do these jobs pay?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 06:55:17 PM »

Oh really? Doing what?

I was being sarcastic.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies