Special state legislative elections thread (see OP for results/upcoming races) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:29:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Special state legislative elections thread (see OP for results/upcoming races) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Special state legislative elections thread (see OP for results/upcoming races)  (Read 155525 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« on: February 12, 2010, 03:08:54 PM »

That chart includes Dave Marsden's win in Virginia on Jan. 12, so it's probably as good as it gets.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 08:14:18 AM »

Oh, I forgot to mention, the new state senator from NJ's 14th District is Tom Goodwin (R), who easily won a special election convention over former Assemblywoman Barbara Wright (R).

He'll face Assemblywoman Linda Greenstein (D) in November.

This is the first I heard that Bill Baroni had cashed in and left the legislature. That's disappointing.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 09:53:23 AM »

He's the new Deputy Executive Director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

Disappointing? Yes. Related to his voting for gay marriage? Maybe.

You think Christie pulled him out of the legislature because he was unwhippable?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 01:53:58 PM »

Like whooooooah.

Yonder toss-up race just became Lean Republican.

I would not bet on a Democrat in that district in this year, but from what I have seen on BMG and, more importantly, on RMG, the fact that Smulowitz is an appealing (if nerdy) candidate, working hard and with a good grass roots organization makes him a better candidate than Lida Harkins (as evidenced by him defeating her) in the general election. I haven't checked back with RMG in the last couple of days but they seem negative on Ross's energy level when they discussed it a few weeks ago.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 10:18:29 AM »

Like whooooooah.

Yonder toss-up race just became Lean Republican.

I would not bet on a Democrat in that district in this year, but from what I have seen on BMG and, more importantly, on RMG, the fact that Smulowitz is an appealing (if nerdy) candidate, working hard and with a good grass roots organization makes him a better candidate than Lida Harkins (as evidenced by him defeating her) in the general election. I haven't checked back with RMG in the last couple of days but they seem negative on Ross's energy level when they discussed it a few weeks ago.

And back on the first hand, Lida Harkins is pissed as hell at Smulowitz for his attacking her in the primary and all but endorsing the Republican, which is going to deny him a serious slug of votes he needed to win this. Ah well.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 09:11:58 AM »

Democratic favorite is John Laird, former Assemblyman and Mayor of Santa Cruz. He's gay.

That would be pretty awesome to have two openly gay Lt. Governors elected this year--him and Richard Tisei in Mass.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 07:27:53 AM »

Kind of odd, I don't have an exact map of the old Brown seat, but the general area doesn't look too Republican even by Massachusetts standards. I do know it is considered one of the safest GOP seats in Massachusetts though so I'm interested in a map.

The southern half is solidly Republican. The northern half is more Democratic, but the most Democratic town (Needham) went to Ross because the Dem savaged the state Rep. from that town in the primary and then she all but endorsed the Republican. (He was from there, too, but not a political veteran like her.) That was far from making the difference in the outcome, but it didn't help.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 10:14:19 AM »

Lower turnout for state legislature special vs. Senate special, plus the nature of what's passed at a state level, means parochial connections count for even more than usual.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 07:54:29 AM »

I don't think it's been scheduled yet, but I believe there will be a special election for Rep. Richard Ross's (R) seat now that he's been elected to the State Senate.

Massachusetts' Ninth Norfolk district is indeed a rare breed: It's a McCain district.

* McCain 10,830 (49.18%)
    * Obama 10,794 (49.02%)
    * Other 397 (1.80%)

I presume the front runner for the seat is Norfolk Town Moderator Dan Winslow. He also served as Chief Legal Council for Governor Mitt Romney.

The domino effect from Scott Brown's win pushing into summer special elections is amusing, even if it's not uncommon.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 11:09:55 AM »

December 14 for HD-44 (East of San Antonio) to replace Edmund Kuempel who died just after the election.

do the democrats have any chance to pick it up???

McCain beat Obama by about 30 points in these three counties, FWIW.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 01:01:41 PM »

This is why Republicans have such trouble getting elected in Massachusetts, too, and you have selectmen from towns and random activists often running for high-level positions on behalf of the GOP.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 08:02:47 AM »

Well I for one am quite sure that there's a perfectly innocent explanation for those photographs.

There are enough women in the picture that it looks more like cheap Cirque du Soleil than anything gay.

Did people see that video of male gymnasts performing for the Pope that was on Youtube about two months ago?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 12:54:35 PM »

Who was Canessa's predecessor? I remember pretty distinctly he was elected at the same time as Carl, in 2004, because he was a young vote for gay marriage replacing someone who was against it.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 07:54:16 AM »

This is probably not leading to a special election, but, sigh, NJ...

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2011/08/nj_legislator_resigns_over_wifes_race_rant.php?ref=fpblg
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 09:21:22 AM »

Republican Keiko Orrall won the 12th Bristol special election here in Massachusetts tonight. It's a GOP pickup.

Keiko Orrall (R)  2,135
Roger Brunelle (D)  1,762

That turnout is lower than in a 34th Middlesex primary. The Tea Party folks came out and the Dem machine didn't, it looks like. Do you know why Brunelle didn't get votes?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 08:10:45 AM »

This is similar to Scott Brown's win. Turnout in the struggling cities in Mass. in special elections is absolutely abysmal. Brown did abnormally well in places like Lowell and Lawrence because tons of voters who come out every 4 years, didn't do so. Brown won for other reasons too, but this was part of the picture that we are also seeing here.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 01:18:34 PM »

Only partisan Democrats would be the ones crying over losing legislatures in the deep south, yes.

Yeah. 2010 was painful, so was 2002, but unless I lived in Mississippi I'm not going to shed tears over an historical inevitability. Sorry.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 09:10:49 AM »

State Senate District 59
Republican    BEN SCHWANKE    824   19.28   
Democratic-Farmer-Labor    KARI DZIEDZIC    3393   79.41   
Write-In    WRITE-IN**    56   1.31

*yawn*

State Representative District 61B
Democratic-Farmer-Labor    SUSAN ALLEN    1155   55.96   
Respect    NATHAN BLUMENSHINE    896   43.41   
Write-In    WRITE-IN**    13   0.63

Good showing by Blumenshine. He actually two precincts, one in a landslide, and tied another. Unsurprisingly he did best in the white areas, Allen won the minority areas.

Is this a sign of "racially polarized voting" within the Democratic primary?

It's not a Democratic primary.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 05:28:50 AM »

Wasn't this district one of the McCainiest in NY, beating out most R-held districts?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 02:16:21 PM »

This was apparently a big upset. The Independent candidate said he had no regrets. Any chance he runs again in 2014? The Dem already said she'll be back for a rematch.

If he does, either he or the Dem will win. 16,000 votes were cast in this district in the last off-year election so I'm guessing that the 24-year-old R nurse won't be able to get enough to win even if the Dems split their votes cleanly down the middle.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 08:16:59 AM »

In Massachusetts' First Suffolk state senate district, it looks like the Dem primary was won by Rep. Linda Dorcena Forry, making her the Senate's only African-American member and first Haitian-American member if she wins the general.

This is the district that includes South Boston and was once represented by Lynch. Southie isn't large enough to control a primary any longer, nor quite so monolithic.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies