Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 01, 2014, 04:49:42 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  The Atlas
| | |-+  How To
| | | |-+  How do I make map templates?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How do I make map templates?  (Read 3070 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2009, 08:17:06 am »
Ignore

I've been wondering how people make templates for maps on this site. How's it done? Smiley

Smid
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 09:49:51 pm »
Ignore

What sort of map templates?
You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 05:41:34 pm »
Ignore

What sort of map templates?

Like the following:

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 11:50:12 am »
Ignore

'ard graft, lad. 'ard graft.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 11:52:03 am »
Ignore

Seriously though, it depends what area you want to make blank maps of and how accurate you want the map to be.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -8.17

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 03:44:53 pm »
Ignore

Seriously though, it depends what area you want to make blank maps of and how accurate you want the map to be.

True. There are great maps online that simply aren't editable. My own interest is Scotland of course and I used David Boothroyds maps. However a few months ago I decided to make my own from scratch

Essentially it's the same principle. I like white on black as it shows up colours better.

Other than that use Paint and have a steady hand Tongue

Smid
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 05:42:43 pm »
Ignore

I normally find the Electoral Commission Maps section (of the relevant Commission), which is usually as a PDF. Then I use the "capture picture" tool in your standard Acrobat Reader to highlight the map. Then, since my computer has various spasms if I try to keep that much on the clipboard while opening Paint, I paste it into MS PhotoEditor and save it as a PNG. Then I can close the PDF and delete the clipboard and re-open the file in Paint. Then it's generally a relatively simple (but time consuming) task of using the zoom and pencil functions to draw the boundaries over the top of the ones that are already in your saved picture. It's not perfect, but it's pretty accurate. The main drawback is the length of time it takes to do it that way.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout