Reasonable Minimum Wage Bill (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:55:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Reasonable Minimum Wage Bill (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reasonable Minimum Wage Bill (Law'd)  (Read 16788 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« on: September 08, 2009, 06:36:13 PM »

This bill is awful. Raising the minimum wage during such tough economic times will surely result in job cuts. In turn, prices will go up, making it more difficult for those who aren't at minimum wage but still in a lower income position, will be significantly affected. Demand will surely fall, and on and on.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 07:10:51 PM »

Especially since I'm a teenager who will be looking for a job soon, I've always been a supporter of a higher minimum wage. A lot of people are having to take minimum wage jobs because they lost their old job. This bill would help those people a lot. And I know this may sound silly, but raising the minimum wage could help more kids go to college. If they're responsible and put money into savings, they'll be able to afford collage. (Granted, it won't help that much, but it will help) Wink

No. College students would be more affected by higher prices for products they consume, namely food items but also basic things like laundry and haircuts. Not all entry-level jobs are minimum wage, just unskilled ones. Likely a teenager will be making a couple dollars more than minimum wage. That is, for those of us who actually HAVE jobs.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 11:04:30 AM »

This is a good bill.  We need to ensure that the working class is being paid enough to reasonably live on.  I support this 100%.

But we also need to protect small businesses that may not be able to afford these types of hourly wages in such dire economic times.

Yes, I agree with that, which is also why a small tax cut on small business might also be in order.

We don't have the capacity to do that. Otherwise we could bypass the whole issue regarding small businesses and cut taxes for the lowest incomes like afleitch attempted (which most of us didn't support, and I still won't).
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 04:01:53 PM »

Wow, opposed wholeheartedly. The only decent thing there is the first change.

What's wrong with linking the minimum wage to wages?

He didn't think of it first.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 08:21:04 PM »

Freezing the minimum wage in times of deflation might backfire if the economy deflates enough. I don't know enough about the effects of Hoover's/FDR's policies in the Great Depression to be sure about this, though.

This amendment is worse than the original bill.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 02:45:28 PM »

With 7 Ayes, 0 Nays and 0 Abstentions this bill has passed.

*Amendment Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies