One-party autocracy certainly has its drawbacks....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:48:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  One-party autocracy certainly has its drawbacks....
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: One-party autocracy certainly has its drawbacks....  (Read 4108 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 10, 2009, 03:14:43 AM »

...But when it is led by a reasonably enlightened group of people, as China is today, it can also have great advantages.  WTF link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
They also understand you need to jail and/or kill anybody that disagrees with you.  They also understand that curbing pollution isn't a necessity. 

Now lets see who comes in to defend this asshat or the PRC.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 03:18:53 AM »

And if he had written the same thing in China against their government, he'd be in jail now.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 07:41:41 AM »

What enlightened stewards of the environment the Chinese are!  Just don't ask them about carbon emissions standards, okay?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 07:50:37 AM »

Yeah but if they cared about such things they could FORCE it upon you...that's what this guy wants.  He wants a group of "smarts" telling the rest of us what to do about the things the "smarts" find important.  I believe this method of govt has been tried before with amazingly disturbing results.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 10:09:12 AM »

Now lets see who comes in to defend this asshat or the PRC.

You might want to at least wait until someone does do this before you get all self-righteous and accusatory.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 10:30:42 AM »

And if he had written the same thing in China against their government, he'd be in jail now.

^^^^
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 04:17:55 AM »

I wouldn't call any group of people that forbids dissent "enlightened".
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 08:09:33 AM »

Well, the fact that it isn't necessary to forbid dissent in the US is rather telling don't you think?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 10:14:56 AM »

There are some truths inherent in his argument, but for the Chinese model to actually be more effective than democracy the benefits of power must be divorced from the reins of power and those in power must actually be enlightened. This idea that democracy is the be-all and end-all isn't actually true.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 10:40:20 AM »

There are some truths inherent in his argument, but for the Chinese model to actually be more effective than democracy the benefits of power must be divorced from the reins of power and those in power must actually be enlightened. This idea that democracy is the be-all and end-all isn't actually true.

It also requires a placid and controllable population - or at least a strong sense of social conformism. The tea parties, though they represent a minority, show the opposite to be the case.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 10:45:49 AM »

It also requires a placid and controllable population - or at least a strong sense of social conformism. The tea parties, though they represent a minority, show the opposite to be the case.

Or it's the "model" that creates a placid and controllable population, rather than the other way around.

Friedman is confusing the hyper-polarization of contemporary American politics with some inherent flaw in 'one-party democracy'. Certainly not true. Extreme polarization is bad for any society, no matter what its form of government. This is the guy who was proclaiming that 'the world is flat' and apologizing for the Washington consensus a few years ago, so there's no reason to think he's anything other than a weather vane.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 01:40:36 PM »

No; not really - well, maybe by 3rd generation or so in certain circumstances.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 02:18:10 PM »

The tea parties, though they represent a minority, show the opposite to be the case.

What now?  Empty headed thugs who militantly support the policies implemented by our ruling class are somehow evidence of 'dissent'?
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 08:53:05 PM »

The single thing I love most about the US is its First Amendment, and the courts' robust interpretation of the scope of same. It is what makes us special really.  The day that ends is the day the very heart and soul of what it means to be an American dies with it. May that never happen, ever, for generations yet unborn, much less during my lifetime. It it happens in my lifetime, I may have to be incarcerated because I won't stand for it.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 02:11:57 AM »

When I went to Asia with the university choir in 2005 we sang in Beijing... the people at Beijing University were concerned that our songs were too religious... so the choir director just told them they were "American folk songs"... and they bought it.

I also made the mistake of asking a Chinese guy about the protests in 1989.  You should've seen the look on his face.  He got kind of close and muttered "Just look around and you'll find what you're looking for"... because we were standing at Tiananmen Square... with the hundreds of pilgrim Chinese waiting to see the tomb of Mao.  It was all kind of sad, really.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 12:17:18 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean. No population in the world can be in a state of revolt for long against the power of military means. This is the first thing every 6 year old learns about 'politics.'
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 02:08:15 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean. No population in the world can be in a state of revolt for long against the power of military means. This is the first thing every 6 year old learns about 'politics.'

Umm.. Crossed wires I think. (Besides it's wrong for all cases - but 99% of the time true for modern societies).

What I was getting at is that people don't necessarily fit into the social model set down upon them by the powers that be even if it is in their own (economic or security) interests to do so - people exist independent of the state or of business. To take an example I know well (but you probably don't) the fact that a tiny miniscule of Irish Catholics converted to Anglicanism in the 18th Century despite that by doing so one gained much greater political, social and economic rights is an example of this. Politics fundamentally has to deal with the culture of its inhabitants - politics changing the inhabitants' culture is much, much harder and imprecise (as Communism shows). In China there is a long tradition of imperial authority after all, something which clearly does not exist in the United States.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 03:43:29 PM »

The single thing I love most about the US is its First Amendment, and the courts' robust interpretation of the scope of same. It is what makes us special really.  The day that ends is the day the very heart and soul of what it means to be an American dies with it. May that never happen, ever, for generations yet unborn, much less during my lifetime. It it happens in my lifetime, I may have to be incarcerated because I won't stand for it.

Is it not curious though that despite this supposed legal 'freedom', we never hear anything other than a standard center-right to right-wing line on any major media?

The only reason people can 'say what they want' is that it doesn't matter.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 03:47:39 PM »

Is it not curious though that despite this supposed legal 'freedom', we never hear anything other than a standard center-right to right-wing line on any major media?

The only reason people can 'say what they want' is that it doesn't matter.

Keep in mind you have to look at which parts of the country get their news mostly from major media sources.

Minnesotans watch pretty much the least amount of TV of any state in the country and are more likely to get our news from newspapers, internet, or radio than elsewhere.  (I'll have to see if I can find the study for a cite).

So, you want your news to appeal to your target crowd while still "appearing" to be objective... if your audience is mostly conservatives, even objective will seem liberal.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies