Calif. GOP lawmaker caught bragging about affairs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:31:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Calif. GOP lawmaker caught bragging about affairs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Calif. GOP lawmaker caught bragging about affairs  (Read 1845 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2009, 12:21:24 AM »

If he argued for it on grounds of being economically or socially discriminatory, then of course not. Marriage is only "sacred" in a religious context. Breaking marital vows through adultery is morally repugnant but has no legal implications in and of itself. As long as the argument for gay marriage is legal and not religious, there's no hypocrisy.

Are you sure you want to open up that argument because remember that legal arguments go both ways?

Anyway, this is merely a theoretical question I'm posing because I'm quite sure that you'll close the door or tell me that it doesn't exist when I try to enter it.  Smiley

That wasn't an argument for gay marriage. That was pointing out that someone who argued for gay marriage on those grounds would not be being hypocritical (so would someone who argued against gay marriage on those grounds, although this particular lawmaker did not make such an argument, and I have never seen a legitimate argument so based, and you won't be able to make one).

You're right, I will tell you it doesn't exist. Because it doesn't. But you can be a smartass about it all day if you'd like, I don't care Smiley
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2009, 03:12:02 AM »

When did any Republican say "Don't cheat on your wives"?

just lol

And if same-sex marriage is a threat to the institution as many conservatives claim, then what the hell is adultery?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 03:33:10 AM »

Adultery is clearly just a fact of life and something Republican family members just have to accept of their fathers and husbands.  Same-sex marriage is obviously more damaging to the "sanctity" of marriage....somehow.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2009, 03:42:38 AM »

I am not sure what the hypocrisy is here, nor do I see the connection between opposing gay marriage and cheating on your wife.

If gay marriage is 'damaging to the social fabric by devaluing marriage' (to paraphrase the trite conservative argument), then adultery must be doubly so: where gay marriage can effect only a theoretical marriage, adultery, by its very definition, occurs within the boundaries and limits of an already-established marriage - one cannot be adulterous if one is a bachelor. Hence the hypocrisy: Herr Duvall, who has in the past crusaded to keep marriage from being devalued, actually devalued a marriage -- his own. The specter of gay marriage is a theoretical bugaboo; fornication is a very real and really damaging thing.

Duvall, just now, did more damage to the institution of marriage than all of the gay marriages the world over.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2009, 06:12:55 AM »

If Prop 8 was about protecting marriage, Calif. man reasons, a ballot initiative outlawing divorce should win in a landslide.
link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2009, 07:43:32 AM »

Wow, a real normal man in office, and acting like a real normal man!  He will be destroyed by Ole Fatty Mama.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2009, 08:28:51 AM »
« Edited: September 11, 2009, 08:31:26 AM by brittain33 »

When did any Republican say "Don't cheat on your wives"?

Remember 1998, for starters?

I haven't seen them lie to a grand jury about it.

Do you really need my help to find quotes where Republicans criticized Clinton's personal behavior for cheating on his wife? The standard "that's not what impeachment was about!" answer isn't relevant.

Were you too young in 1998 to remember that part of the political campaign? Two weeks before the election, the Republicans ran ads showing concerned mothers saying "what will we tell the children?" They weren't worried about perjury. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies