Rob Miller, the opponent of Joe "Liar!" Wilson has raised $300k since last night
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:19:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rob Miller, the opponent of Joe "Liar!" Wilson has raised $300k since last night
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rob Miller, the opponent of Joe "Liar!" Wilson has raised $300k since last night  (Read 2786 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 10, 2009, 12:39:51 PM »

http://www.actblue.com/entity/fundraisers/19079

Good stuff.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 12:46:34 PM »

And he'll still lose. So whats your point?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 12:51:16 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2009, 01:01:06 PM by Lunar »

Actually, Miller didn't do that awful, kept Wilson at like 54%ish in 2008 despite having no money.

Of course, there was slightly higher African-American turnout in 08 too.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 01:05:18 PM »

Actually, Miller didn't do that awful, kept Wilson at like 54%ish in 2008 despite having no money.

Of course, there was slightly higher African-American turnout in 08 too.

Yea, there's no shot of him winning without this again.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 01:33:40 PM »

"Liar" is a double-edged sword.  Sure, it motivates liberals in Cambridge and San Francisco to give money, but they don't have the power to vote in the district.  The people who do have the power to vote in the district will be largely distrustful of Obama even on the best of days, and on the worst of days, they might even view Wilson more favorably because of his outburst.

It could have potential to be a "Twinkle Twinkle Kenneth Starr" moment, but only in a not-so-solid district. Which this is, clearly, not.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 01:34:50 PM »

and remember that Wilson has a somewhat plausible defense of his argument as to why Obama is a liar...citing specific provisions and stuff like that

RedState is trying to fundraise for our brave hero Wilson themselves
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 02:46:20 PM »

Every seat that the GOP has to defend is one less seat that they can go after effectivly. Even if Wilson doesn't lose, having Miller well funded means that the R's have to keep an eye on it. All because he acted like a 5 year old. If the Rs stopped doing that, they'd be far better off.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 03:01:53 PM »

I hope Rep. Wilson wins.

Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 03:29:54 PM »

Every seat that the GOP has to defend is one less seat that they can go after effectivly. Even if Wilson doesn't lose, having Miller well funded means that the R's have to keep an eye on it. All because he acted like a 5 year old. If the Rs stopped doing that, they'd be far better off.

And every dollar spent by Democrats in SC is a dollar they don't spend in a seat they can actually win.  I never understood that logic.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 04:09:01 PM »

Joe Wilson's district isn't any more Democratic after all this money, but lots of Republicans in more marginal districts should take notice. No doubt Taryl Clark will get a money bomb like this at some point next year when Bachmann says something noteworthy.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 05:25:27 PM »

He got 63% of the vote in 2006. He's safe. It was only coattails in 2008 that made is relatively close.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 06:05:07 PM »

And every dollar spent by Democrats in SC is a dollar they don't spend in a seat they can actually win.  I never understood that logic.

Given that the Democratic offense consists of about 5 or 10 districts at most, I don't see how they're casting their net that widely this cycle.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 06:17:36 PM »

Charlie Cook just upgraded the competitiveness of his race
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 06:33:13 PM »

http://www.robmillerforcongress.com/

I like their style.  Fuck having a webpage, let's just forward all of our traffic to ActBlue.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 06:48:47 PM »

and remember that Wilson has a somewhat plausible defense of his argument as to why Obama is a liar...citing specific provisions and stuff like that
Sarcasm, right?

I'm shocked I tell you, shocked.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 06:55:16 PM »

Sarcasm, right?

Nope.  I mean, he can stand in front of the camera and explain how the Democrats had voted down two anti-illegal amendments and etc...you can look up the arguments on RedState pretty easily.

The actual words he said weren't as blatantly as say Bachmann saying the Peace Corps is an indoctrination camp or Jean Schmidt recently telling that Birther that she agrees with him...I mean, they're all false by nonpartisan factchecking groups, but whatever.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 07:20:27 PM »

http://www.robmillerforcongress.com/

I like their style.  Fuck having a webpage, let's just forward all of our traffic to ActBlue.

Haha, that's brilliant.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 07:31:53 PM »

Sarcasm, right?

Nope.  I mean, he can stand in front of the camera and explain how the Democrats had voted down two anti-illegal amendments and etc...you can look up the arguments on RedState pretty easily.

The actual words he said weren't as blatantly as say Bachmann saying the Peace Corps is an indoctrination camp or Jean Schmidt recently telling that Birther that she agrees with him...I mean, they're all false by nonpartisan factchecking groups, but whatever.

I'll take Politifact and Factcheck.org over Red State (or most any other group on either side of the ideological spectrum any day.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/sep/09/joe-wilson/joe-wilson-south-carolina-said-obama-lied-he-didnt/

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/08/seven-falsehoods-about-health-care/

Obviously more partisan, but a good analysis nonetheless from Salon:

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/2009/09/10/wilson_immigrants/

Bottom Line: Wilson wasn't merely shrill and boorish, he was just plain wrong.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 07:44:34 PM »

Nearly all of the money being donated here wouldn't have been donated otherwise - it's a donation due to an emotional reaction. Meanwhile most of the NRCC money (the money that we're hypothetically trying to force the Republicans to spend) is mostly collected from donors who are going to give the money regardless of the national mood.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 07:54:27 PM »

Sarcasm, right?

I'll take Politifact and Factcheck.org over Red State (or most any other group on either side of the ideological spectrum any day.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/sep/09/joe-wilson/joe-wilson-south-carolina-said-obama-lied-he-didnt/

you didn't have to cite these, I never bloody said I trusted RedState for objective truth, only for the stupid arguments that Wilson will be making, and I already stated that non-partisan factchecking sites [I was thinking of FactCheck and Politifact when I wrote that] proved it false.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 09:26:35 PM »

I must admit I'm surprised that my Representative (mine in that I live in SC-2, not because I particularly care for him), Joe Wilson managed to do anything to get noticed in Washington.  The eventual impact of this is negligible on .  If he does get a primary opponent it will be a cakewalk as usual.  Miller should be able to hold him to the same margin as last time, but I can't see him winning.  However, this could have a knock-on effect on the statewide races.  Miller running a credible campaign helps to counter the perception that at the statewide level the Democrats are only capable of running token campaigns.  Those indirect effects will probably will help the statewide Democrats by about half a percentage point, which could be enough to influence a close race.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 07:44:13 AM »

Sarcasm, right?

you didn't have to cite these, I never bloody said I trusted RedState for objective truth, only for the stupid arguments that Wilson will be making, and I already stated that non-partisan factchecking sites [I was thinking of FactCheck and Politifact when I wrote that] proved it false.
Sorry, Lunar. Your message wasn't quite clear on that point. Or maybe my mind was addled while reading it. 50/50 chance either way.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 08:25:42 AM »

It really doesn't matter what fact check says or what the truth is.  What matters is what the people actually believe.  Didn't you learn anything from the Bush administration?

No matter what the bill says, red meat conservatives believe that Obama wants to cover illegal immigrants, and that's reason enough for them to side with Wilson.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 09:25:50 PM »

It really doesn't matter what fact check says or what the truth is.  What matters is what the people actually believe.  Didn't you learn anything from the Bush administration?

No matter what the bill says, red meat conservatives believe that Obama wants to cover illegal immigrants, and that's reason enough for them to side with Wilson.

And if the district was only red-meat conservatives, that would mean something: http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_SC_9111023.pdf
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 12:23:00 AM »

And if the district was only red-meat conservatives, that would mean something: http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_SC_9111023.pdf

I'm going to have take that survey with a dose of skepticism.  It would mean something if the election were this Tuesday, but it is not.  It's not so much that those voters who might have voted for him if the election were last Tuesday don't agree with what he said, but rather that they are embarrassed by him, and right now SC voters are understandably fed up with their politicians embarrassing them.  If Wilson can keep from further embarrassment, this will fade by next year.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies