The Remember 9/11 thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:29:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Remember 9/11 thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Remember 9/11 thread  (Read 3258 times)
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: September 11, 2009, 05:44:10 PM »

This is above politics.  It's a very real and powerful memory for some of us, I'd appreciate it if it weren't demonized and politicized.  Those lost will never be forgotten and the day will be with us forever.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 06:15:21 PM »

Let's also remember the >100,000 Iraqis and Afghans who have been killed since then.
Lief, that is a tragedy, but this isn't the time to take snips at Bush's foriegn policy. It's a time to honor our fallen, innocent civilians.
Didn't you once in your sig talk about how much more important American lives were then those of foreigners?

What is wrong with you?  Seriously?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 06:45:39 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2009, 06:47:26 PM by fezzyfestoon »

The Maudlin-ness of these threads is amazing - perhaps the Victorian age never really died in America. I'm dreading the tenth anniversary already.

And how exactly would you react to the anniversary of a day on which you had countless neighbors killed or family members killed or knew unimaginable amounts of people who had experienced that?  You're not above us and it's not weakness to be hurt or sympathetic.

Once again I note, if you have no personal emotional connection, I urge you to have the decency to respect the struggles others may have regardless of your political views on them.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 07:07:55 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2009, 07:10:30 PM by fezzyfestoon »

It's not a schtick and it is certainly unique.  This is 3,000 people that were actively murdered, people from families and neighborhoods I know and am deeply invested in.  It's not the same thing to me as the people that die every day.  Read my story and you'll know why it was so important to me.  Or ask people from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, DC, Virginia, Maryland, and other places for their stories of how it changed their lives forever.  Those are the people I truly feel for and will never forget on what was honestly one of the single most impactful days of my life.  So just because it bears no emotional meaning to you, don't assume the same of everyone else.  For some of us this is not something political or put on, it's real.  If you can't believe that, that's you're prerogative.  But realize that the possibility of real pain and sympathy warrants at least enough respect for you not to personally question the authenticity of people personally on the matter.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 01:34:09 AM »

I'm from New York (obviously) but I refuse to put the lives of the people who died that day on a higher plane than people who died from any other major tragedy in any other part of the world. That, to me, seems morally bankrupt but to each his own.

What's morally bankrupt is using the event to make a political point at the expense of those it did have a deeper effect on.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies