Bankruptcy laws question- on Lehman Brothers in particular.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:29:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Bankruptcy laws question- on Lehman Brothers in particular.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bankruptcy laws question- on Lehman Brothers in particular.  (Read 611 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2009, 03:43:24 PM »

I just watched The Last Days of Lehman Brothers, a fact-based drama on the BBC and I'm a bit confused.

Because Lehman Brothers filed for Chapter 11 protection, does that mean it still exists as a corporate entity?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 04:12:17 PM »

I just watched The Last Days of Lehman Brothers, a fact-based drama on the BBC and I'm a bit confused.

Because Lehman Brothers filed for Chapter 11 protection, does that mean it still exists as a corporate entity?

From what I gather, which may be wrong, banks are treated differently then other companies. One get a great stock thats guarranteed to perform well. Buy Lehman, its only a dime. Tongue http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=LEHMQ.PK

I wonder why it says the 1 year estimate is $8?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 04:46:02 PM »

From what I gather, which may be wrong, banks are treated differently then other companies. One get a great stock thats guarranteed to perform well. Buy Lehman, its only a dime. Tongue http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=LEHMQ.PK

Wow the call options are dirt cheap. If it does go up to $8, it might be a good buy.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 06:10:27 PM »

Wow the call options are dirt cheap. If it does go up to $8, it might be a good buy.

Why would it go to $8? And why do they still trade stocks of certain Bankrupt companies? GM isn't traded anymore. 
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 12:44:24 AM »

Lehman Brothers bankruptcy filing is what is called a Chapter 11 liquidation.  Basically, Chapter 11 liquidation is used when the company wants to sell off its assets quickly and has some type of plan for doing so thereby avoiding the Trustee-controlled Chapter 7 plans.  IMO, the Lehman bankruptcy was filled with great corruption from the government influencing the judges (as were many others before and after in this area).

You can go dick around in the bankrupt stock if you want to, but it is worth zero because when the liquidiation finally completes there will be no funds to pay off stockholders.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies