Do you remember what you were doing on 9/11/2001?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:05:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you remember what you were doing on 9/11/2001?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: Do you remember?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Do you remember what you were doing on 9/11/2001?  (Read 5206 times)
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2009, 05:21:23 PM »

Let's try this here, people use to say that everyone remember what he was doing when he heard about the planes in the towers? Do you?

I do. I was at my home. Someone with which I was in high school came to my home to tell me that he was in the bus and that there a woman spoke about a huge catastrophe happening, we switched the TV on and...
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 05:23:34 PM »

I was only 8 at the time, I came home from primary school and my family were watching the television, with the same footage repeating over and over again. I had no idea what was going on, but I knew it had some significance, and that something terrible had happened.

I remember it being explained to us in school about what had happened too. However, I don't remember any of the invasion of Afghanistan, although I do remember hearing constant references to bin Laden.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 05:39:42 PM »

Very distinctly.  There were rumors around the school that something was going on and students were being pulled out of class all day.  I was on my way to my math class when everyone said to look outside and that there would be an announcement.  In my class we just sat there and my teacher said to pay extra attention, but we all went to the window instead and saw all the smoke.  We had no idea what it was and when the announcement came on all they said was there was an attack on New York City and whoever had parents working there should get in touch at the office.  I was in a panic because my dad worked in Times Square and I thought that would be the first place attacked.  I tried to call his and my mom's cell phones but only my mom's worked and she told me to go home.  My uncle picked me up from school early and took me home and thankfully my dad was already there.  That's when I found out my aunt in the Air Force was working in the Pentagon and we hadn't gotten word yet (she was fine).  My mom was on her way to Massachusetts at the time and turned around to come home and we all watched the news only for a little and then just had dinner and tried not to pay attention, but it was difficult not to.  It was probably the worst day I've ever experienced so far and every year it's very painful to relive it all in my head over and over.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 05:44:42 PM »

Yes. I remember the vast majority of the day.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 05:47:06 PM »

Very distinctly.  There were rumors around the school that something was going on and students were being pulled out of class all day.  I was on my way to my math class when everyone said to look outside and that there would be an announcement.  In my class we just sat there and my teacher said to pay extra attention, but we all went to the window instead and saw all the smoke.  We had no idea what it was and when the announcement came on all they said was there was an attack on New York City and whoever had parents working there should get in touch at the office.  I was in a panic because my dad worked in Times Square and I thought that would be the first place attacked.  I tried to call his and my mom's cell phones but only my mom's worked and she told me to go home.  My uncle picked me up from school early and took me home and thankfully my dad was already there.  That's when I found out my aunt in the Air Force was working in the Pentagon and we hadn't gotten word yet (she was fine).  My mom was on her way to Massachusetts at the time and turned around to come home and we all watched the news only for a little and then just had dinner and tried not to pay attention, but it was difficult not to.  It was probably the worst day I've ever experienced so far and every year it's very painful to relive it all in my head over and over.

Wow dude, that's an incredible story.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 05:49:47 PM »

I was in class, and my teacher went out into the hall, and I saw that a bunch of other teachers were out in the hall, too, some crying. My teacher came back in, without saying anything, and turned the TV on. The TV came on and no less than two minutes later the first of the two towers fell. I can still remember the feeling of dread.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 05:51:02 PM »

I was 13 and I remember. I was sitting with a friend in my room and we were planning another war campaign (I was a leader of our neighbourhood "cossacks", and he was my deputy hetman Wink) when I was called that something happens and is on TV
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 05:54:23 PM »

Yes, I do remember.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »

I was in my 2nd grade English class. My teacher got like 50 phone calls. One by one (including me) parents came to pick up us.

I asked what happened but then i turned on the TV and saw Sad

I lived in Queens when it happened. My house was 2 blocks away from the block in Belle Harbor that would have a plane plow through it 2 months later.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 05:59:41 PM »

I was in my final year at high school. It was a Classical Studies double period; we were not informed. I only understood what had happened when I got home Sad
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 06:02:43 PM »

I woke up, and saw it on TV with my parents. It didn't affect me in any way; I was six.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 06:07:19 PM »

I was in a car.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 06:09:16 PM »

Unremarkable School day. Then I remember popping into the shop after school just past 4PM and hearing men on the radio talk to some US Military advisor. They were talking about attacking some nation, air strikes and things of that nature. I figured pretty soon something was up - though what I had no idea.

Bizarrely, and I'm not making this up, pretty much that very moment I thought "Osama Bin Laden" (I remembered a month or so a news broadcast on... oh, the shame of it, SKY of video footage showing al-qaeda training camps after an announcement for OBL that new attacks were planned. No-one cared, it was the last news item on that broadcast, probably behind a story of fish that could play the trumpet and some piece on modelling in which models just stand around for a minute while the journalist responsible desperately tries to find something to report on).

Then I went home and watched the TV for hours (pretty much the whole of that week) like everyone else.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 06:09:49 PM »

I knew, from then, that the world just changed forever.

No, it didn't.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 06:10:09 PM »

I was in my Home Class period (in 7th grade at the brand new Middle School) when it happened right after the video announcements. Now the whole week before we had been watching a ton of videos, mainly history. I thought it was a video of the 1993 WTC Bombing (hey I was in 7th Grade and didn't know it happened in the basement at the time) until I glanced to the side and noticed that the time was 9:04 AM ET, that would make it 8:04 AM CT, the time it was at my school. So then I went from thinking it was a video of the 1993 bombing to "dumbass pilot ran into the tower". And then the second plane ran into the other tower and I heard the announcer screaming "Oh my god! Another plane has hit the World Trade Center!" At the time I laughed, because of the hysterical reaction of the announcer more so than the planes hitting the towers. It isn't something I'm proud of, I'm just being honest. Despite the national tragedy, our teachers made us stay in school and from 10AM onward we had normal classes. The teachers made a few comments, but still taught class. Me and my friends talked about it at lunch and on the bus ride home. When I got home I was alone for two hours before my brother did and later my parents. None of us talked for real long about our days like we usually did, just remained quiet. That is all I remember about that day: the Quietness.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 06:10:20 PM »

Yes it did. Stop it.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 06:11:13 PM »

It did for a lot of people.  If you don't care about it at least show enough respect to shut the fuck up already.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 06:12:54 PM »

It did for a lot of people.  If you don't care about it at least show enough respect to shut the fuck up already.

Never said that. But the world didn't change forever.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 06:13:20 PM »

Never said that. But the world didn't change forever.

This is true.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 06:14:57 PM »

I was in middle school since I was just 13 at the time. They didn't even tell us what had happened until the end of the day. Besides that I don't really remember the details, to be honest it's sort of a blur.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 06:17:30 PM »

What the hell is your problem? Of course I didn't mean forever, but for a long time. Do you even care for the innocent people that died on this day?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 06:18:57 PM »

What the hell is your problem? Of course I didn't mean forever, but for a long time. Do you even care for the innocent people that died on this day?

Did I say I didn't? In what way did this change the world?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 06:23:35 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2009, 06:33:59 PM by fezzyfestoon »

Did I say I didn't? In what way did this change the world?

That's not the point.  This is not the place for political debate.  Like I've said, if you've got a bone to pick or this doesn't affect you in any way, at least have the respect to shut up and keep your social commentary to yourself.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 06:28:03 PM »

During the 1990s I was obsessed with skylines (and still am, to an extent), so I spent a lot of time collecting postcards of New York City and drawing the skyline on construction paper. I also remember trying to build New York City in Sim City 2000 and being ecstatic at the prospect of visiting the World Trade Center sometime during the mid 1990s. Had a chance to visit it in 2000, but didn't have the time Sad

oh well, yeah. now the place is a barren wasteland. it's terrible. My brother's apartment in Brooklyn has a fantastic view of Lower Manhattan from the roof; it's the type of place where you blast all those cheerful late 1990s songs, sit back, and drink your favorite beer. but the experience is heavily.....subdued by the constant reminder of omission. Seriously Xahar, go to New York City, go to the top of any structure facing lower Manhattan, pop open some Blue Moon, and then tell me the experience is the same as it was in, say, 1996. And that, amigo, is how the world has changed. You can say it's all in our minds, but our minds are the only thing we have.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2009, 06:30:58 PM »

I don't remember a lot before 3 o'clock that day, but I do remember someone mentioning that something big happened and all I asked was if it would be on the news.  That comment was stupid and I still think about it to this day.

As for the rest of my family, my mom was going to a PTA meeting on a street where you could see the towers.  She stopped when she saw the buildings on fire and began to realize that here friend worked right there and would be walking under.  Due to nothing short of a miracle, her friend had found a large sum of money the day before and went to the bank, therefore, being late to work.  She saw her walking up the street to her house right there with her back to the towers.  When she walked up she said she couldn't believe what was happening but that the towers were ugly (stupid comment I know), and with that, the first one fell.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies