Do you remember what you were doing on 9/11/2001?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:19:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you remember what you were doing on 9/11/2001?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Do you remember?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Do you remember what you were doing on 9/11/2001?  (Read 5144 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2009, 08:59:22 PM »

I also remember my teacher wanting to turn on the news in the afternoon to check to see if the malls were going to be open. She wanted to buy new shoes later.

I am refraining from calling your former teacher several profane words right now.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2009, 10:59:55 PM »

I was in school like 90% of the people on here probably were.

90%? It happened at, like, 6 AM.

As I recall, Ben took Kindergarten twice.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2009, 11:04:34 PM »

I did an extra year of pre-school, which is why I was in 1st Grade at the time.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2009, 11:08:33 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2009, 11:12:45 PM by Torie »

I was in bed. I remember waking up to Hugh Hewitt on the radio stating that the second tower had gone down. It was just too much to process that early in the morning. And then I remember being furious that NYC did not have a protocol for rescuing folks from the top of its skyscrapers, and that the exit door to the roof was locked anyway. That would never have happened in LA, which requires helo pads on the skyscraper roofs, and exits thereto that can never to unlocked in an emergency, as well as a fleet of helos around to in fact rescue.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2009, 11:42:37 PM »

The first plane hit on my way home from work, the second one hit while I was laying in bed trying to go to sleep.  I went to sleep thinking the sh**t was over.  I woke up and found out the towers fell.  I killed a raccoon on my way into work that night.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2009, 11:48:13 PM »

I was in 7th grade and in home economics. It may be the first day that I have vivid memories of in my life.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2009, 12:13:53 AM »

I was in 7th grade and in home economics. It may be the first day that I have vivid memories of in my life.

^^^
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2009, 12:16:30 AM »

^^^
This. If I were asked to do everything I did that day, to a T, I'd be able to.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2009, 01:12:39 AM »

I was a soph in college sleeping in my dorm when it first happened (my 1st class was late morning).  My roommate burst in when he came back to class and said you have to turn on the tv, the Trade Center just got hit.

My dad worked about 6 blocks or so from the trade Center (he was on Wall Street) and after the first plane hit they were watching from the window and he saw the 2nd plane hit.  He also saw both Towers collapse and as they were evacuating and heading towards the Brooklyn Bridge to leave Manhattan, they had to go a few extra blocks and walked across the Manhattan Bridge because the smoke and the debris made heading over the Brooklyn Bridge impossible.  It was horrendous enough to see on TV, I can't even imagine what my dad went through seeing it right in front of his own eyes.

Six years later I wound up getting a job in a building that was 2 blocks away from WTC, that was damaged a little bit by the attacks.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2009, 01:54:57 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2009, 01:57:09 AM by Snowguy716 »

I was a junior in high school and we were in choir... we had just started rehearsing our music for our big trip to New York City the following spring.  The president of the student council came in and said "turn on the TV, something happened in New York"... the teacher wouldn't listen.

About 5 minutes later, a different teacher came in and told him to turn on the TV.  We tuned in just after the first tower fell.

They pretty much had every TV in the school tuned in and nobody did anything that day.

That Friday our choir got together with the marching band to perform God Bless America in a flag formation on the football field for the game.

We sang a song at ground zero and there were a bunch of police officers tearing up.. it was pretty moving.

I still remember driving around shortly after 9/11 and there being American flags on literally every mailbox and in every yard... all of the businesses had their flags at half staff and all of the marquees around town said nothing but God Bless America.. it sure brought us together in a way only shared tragedy can.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2009, 02:10:54 AM »

Yes, I was 14 and finished the "Hauptschule" in July and was about to start the AHS (some kind of Austrian high school) on Sept. 12.

Sept. 11 was a regular (but beautiful) day back in 2001 and I was putting together the stuff I needed for the start of school on the next day, my parents went to the local museum and I was watching TV in the afternoon when I saw the news on CNN. Then my parents came home and I told them what happened.

The next day, school started and you have to know that the AHS and Hauptschule are completely different and also in different cities. So, besides getting new friends in school, we were just talking about the terror attacks and we had "Art lessons" on that day, so basically everyone was painting the towers with the planes crashing into them. That`s when I met 3 of my best friends for the next 4 years in high school (which is now 8 years) ... Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2009, 02:40:57 AM »

I was bored out of my skull and watching some gameshow on afternoon tv. They interrupted that with a newsflash about an airplane crashing into the World Trade Center, went back to the show, then cut out for good a couple minutes later. I spent the remainder of the day watching coverage. At one point, there was some news anchor talking in some NYC highrise office with a view of the towers - or rather, a view of a cloud of dust with a very dimly perceptible outline of the towers in it - and I noticed that the towers seemed to have collapsed a minute or two before they mentioned it.

My dad spent all day working, went to some Green Party social event late at night, and was surprised to find almost nobody there and those who were there huddled before the television. Grin
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2009, 04:13:37 AM »

Doing my Zivildienst.

When I came home from "work", my mom told me that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center, so I switched the TV on...
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2009, 05:32:33 AM »

The 90% was an intentional exaggeration but it didn't happen that early anyway.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2009, 05:34:35 AM »

I actually had one friend who went home and watched movies because he found the event to be mostly uninteresting. That dude was a real trip.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2009, 05:40:33 AM »

I was home from school lying in bed with a pretty high fever. I remember my grandpa coming up to tell me to turn on the TV, which I did. Only a few minutes later did I see the second plane flying into the South Tower.

I was able to watch everything after that live. I saw both towers fall, I remember the reports about the Pentagon, I remember UA93 crashing in Pennsylvania....I remember everything.

And talk about coincidences, I had an appointment with my doctor that afternoon....and was diagnosed with pneumonia on September 11, 2001 (Who can make that claim, after all?). Never in my life have I experienced such a weird feeling everywhere. People were completely silent in the waiting room, everyone had a look on their face that I had never seen before.

I remember one kid telling his mom that it was "cool....and this meant war!", and his mom got really angry.....and then complete silence again.

Only time ever in my life that the Alton Telegraph published an evening paper.

I was at home the entire week.....and I literally watched CNN from morning until night.

It's an ordeal I'll never forget.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2009, 10:44:48 AM »

The first plane hit on my way home from work, the second one hit while I was laying in bed trying to go to sleep.  I went to sleep thinking the sh**t was over.  I woke up and found out the towers fell.  I killed a raccoon on my way into work that night.
Uh, whatever got you through the day I guess
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2009, 10:51:16 AM »

I actually had one friend who went home and watched movies because he found the event to be mostly uninteresting. That dude was a real trip douche.
Not entirely necessary, but it had to be said.

Maybe he later went shoe shopping with Meeker's jackass teacher.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2009, 10:54:37 AM »

Xahar, you are a smart dude but with your youth you really have a poor frame of reference sometimes.  The world changed quite a bit after 9/11- especially around here.  Some things are really not profound or important but there are subtle changes and differences.  
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2009, 11:01:33 AM »

Xahar, you are a smart dude but with your youth you really have a poor frame of reference sometimes.  The world changed quite a bit after 9/11- especially around here.  Some things are really not profound or important but there are subtle changes and differences.  

Please note the person he is replying to was 6 when it happened. How often do 6-year olds make such statements and come to such realizations?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2009, 11:14:34 AM »

I was out of college and semi looking for a job at the time.  Basically putzing around, I had been up all night reading and turned on the TV to see the first tower smoking.  I was immediately horrified and worried about the people who I knew that worked there and downtown.  Cell phone service was god awful that day and I was trying to call but unable to get through to my friends.  I later found out my uncle was in WTC1 working in the basement- he got hurt but lived.  Another uncle is a firefighter so that was also in my mind.  He was luckily off duty at the time and responded later after the towers fell.  Ultimately I knew a few people from the neighborhood who died- acquaintances.  One thing I remember is smoking a cig and having a beer with my neighbors while fighter jets were flying overhead.  It was bizarre and really scary. It changed things- I volunteered but wasn't called for the recovery. A guy I knew was down there picking up body parts for a month- It changed him badly and he later hung himself.

Now I work downtown and went over to the memorial service yesterday.  New York has bounced back but it really was a gut punch and the memory lingers.  
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2009, 12:22:22 PM »

Really? Well, I know it happened before school, which started at 8.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2009, 12:32:06 PM »

Really? Well, I know it happened before school, which started at 8.

First plane hit the tower at 8:46 AM EST, or 5:46 AM PST. So you're both correct.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2009, 01:05:30 PM »

I also remember talking with people in school about who did it. Many of us were just throwing out random names. Like one of my friends said "It was the NWO brotha!" Another person said it was the Canadians who were pissed off at us for kicking their asses in hockey. Someone even made the VERY VERY strange notion that it was someone from the future. Some people suggested that it was "Evil Communist China" or Russia who did it. At the time none of us had a clue who did it, and even when CNN began talking about Al Qaeda I still had doubts they did it for some reason (namely I couldn't believe that a ragtag team of Islamic Radicals could pull it off).
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2009, 03:52:53 PM »

I had school that morning.  And then I usually didn't eat breakfast or anything, but I woke up hungry so I had a bowl of oatmeal and turned on ABC right when the Special Report graphic came on the TV.

Talk about a coincidence.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies