Do you remember what you were doing on 9/11/2001?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:32:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you remember what you were doing on 9/11/2001?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: Do you remember?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Do you remember what you were doing on 9/11/2001?  (Read 5146 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2009, 09:59:56 PM »

I don't remember the exact day, but i remember having a minute's silence the next day at school.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2009, 10:16:22 PM »

I remember very well what happened--it was a typical school day, and I remember how the television was turned on while we were doing an assignment. We just saw the crashes (titled "World Trade Center Disaster", or something to that effect), and it was just about the only thing to be found on the television for the rest of the day if not longer.

That still haunts me. I knew that it was the World Trade Center in downtown New York City, but I did not know about the other two flights, nor did I know that it all began just five miles away from where I was.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2009, 10:20:51 PM »

I was 21 and on my way to class at Temple traveling down Broad St.  Actually heard about the attack on Howard Stern on 94 WYSP before the FCC turned into Nazis (political side note, I know).  Classes resumed for the morning, but were canceled later and cell phone reception was impossible.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2009, 10:44:39 PM »

Watching it on t.v.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2009, 01:06:37 AM »

I was at work -- I worked as a student aide in the Arts & Science Deans' office at Kansas State, and one of the advisors in the building came in and was whispering about a plane crash to the administrative assistant. I sat right behind her, so I jumped into the conversation -- no one knew much at that point, as it had just happened 15 minutes earlier or so. Our first thoughts were that it was probably a small aircraft, and even then, we were talking about the havoc that such an accident would wreak on the ground below.

I tried to access CNN.com, which was incredibly slow and eventually non-responsive, and as details continued to trickle in, I found an excuse to make it back to my dorm room where I watched the first tower fall. We plugged in a television at work and had front-row seats to all the confusing reports coming in ... at one point, Camp David had been attacked. I had a Spanish class at 9:30 am and remember the young instructor telling the class to calm down and pay attention to the lesson ... she was from Venezuela and didn't have a clear understanding of how it had already affected most of the students. She felt terrible about it the next day. All of my other classes were cancelled that day.

There were gas lines that built up that evening. Gas had shot up to over $5.00 a gallon at some stations. My dad came by to take me to dinner, and we noted the lack of vapor trails in the crystal-clear sky -- the first time I had ever seen a sky without them. I spent the rest of the day -- and actually, most of the rest of the week -- in front of the TV, even after the coverage began to repeat.

The full realization of what had happened didn't really hit me until the morning of the 12th. My roommate's alarm was set to go off at 7:00 am, and it was set to the radio instead of the alarm. At 7:00 am, it went off and started playing Amazing Grace on the bagpipes as a tribute to those who lost their lives ... and at that point, it was a very ambiguous number. It was naturally the first thing I thought about when I woke up, and coupled with hearing that music, I couldn't help but cry.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2009, 01:30:25 AM »

I was in 5th Grade. I learned when I returned in class after dinner. Since my parents were not eating at home that day, I was eating at school.

Teacher seemed different than usual. She sat on a desk to be nearer of us (she never did that before and she never did that after), said than a very sad event happened during the morning and she talked us big towers in New York city who collapsed because planes crashed into them.

I was sure she was making a joke, I was not able to believe than that was even possible.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2009, 01:38:14 AM »

I stayed home sick that day from High School [unrelated] and turned on the TV after the first plane hit and just sat there watching everything happen afterwards, nothing to do but be glued to the TV the entire day

powerful images...not the most powerful I've seen, but profound nevertheless
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2009, 01:42:57 AM »

I was asleep when the planes hit, but awake and watching TV by the time the first tower collapsed.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2009, 01:53:49 AM »
« Edited: September 15, 2009, 02:00:48 AM by Verily »

I was a senior in high school. I found out while I was in second-period history. That's the only part of my high school schedule I remember: I had history second period on Tuesdays senior year. The Assistant Headmistress came in and said something quietly to our teacher. He went deathly pale, but kept quiet until the end of class, when he told us what had happened.

Our school was K-12. They told us not to tell the middle schoolers and lower schoolers what had happened, but word leaked pretty quickly anyway. My brother and I found our sister during lunch and brought her into the upper school. They told the middle schoolers after lunch, but she stayed with us for the rest of the day.

My chemistry teacher broke down in the middle of class and ran out of the room crying. That was the last class they even tried to hold that day. We just hung around outside; it was a beautiful day, and you could see the smoke clearly over the ridge of the Palisades. And the fire trucks and ambulances headed to New York City.

We could have walked home. It would have been far for my sister, but she could have made it. Neither my brother nor I had driven that day. The buses were cancelled because they had been commandeered by the NJ state government. A lot of people who lived far away and had both parents in New York City stayed on campus, so we did, too.

My mother worked in SoHo at the time. She saw everything--both planes hitting, and both towers collapsing--from her office window. She eventually walked all the way from SoHo to the George Washington Bridge to get home, and got across the bridge around 9 p.m.

My father was in Virginia at a State Department conference. He drove all the way home that day to pick us up from school. He got there around 7:30 p.m. after leaving Virginia around 11 a.m. He told us about streams of emergency vehicles from towns as far away as Central PA clogging up all the highways. He eventually picked my mother up from the bridge after she finally got across.

The father of a girl from my school who I didn't know well (I don't even remember her name, just her face) died. I distinctly remember her crying uncontrollably outside the Headmistress's office.

School was closed for the rest of the week. My mother was at home for two weeks because all of Manhattan south of 14th St--which included her office--was closed to non-residents. My father had to go back to work the next day because the UN diplomats were panicking. The rest of us stayed home and watched the news pretty much straight.

A slightly odd addendum: One of my uncles had been on the same flight from Portland, Maine to Boston as Mohammed Atta and one of the other hijackers, and had in fact even spoken to them. (He was on his way to Baltimore.)

Also, meh to the people who lament the loss of the WTC buildings. They were ugly eyesores, and no one in New York liked them until there was an aura of grief about it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2009, 04:27:08 AM »

Well its a safe bet that sometime that day I 'knocked down' my 'tower'.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2009, 09:09:26 AM »

powerful images...not the most powerful I've seen, but profound nevertheless

Yes, they really made a big coup, that's really what we can call terrorism. I especially think to when the 2nd plane crashes itself. That's the moment it becomes clear this is an attack, and that now everything is possible (can't imagine the mess in the heads of New-Yorkers who lived it and saw it happening just in front of them), and still more with the other flights crashing themselves. I remember when I was watching TV the French TV presenters at the beginning panicked about the fact that planes could crash themselves all other the world, saying that who knows France could be touched too.

Because of the way they did it and because of the epoch in which we live (media, other communications networks) it has been the first global act of terrorism. No matter Al Qaeda dies soon or not, they achieved something, and opened to the face of the world something else...
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2009, 09:16:35 AM »
« Edited: September 15, 2009, 09:18:48 AM by brittain33 »

I was at work that morning, the same job I'm in now, but in a different building. When I heard about the first plane crash in a n e-mail, I followed the news on Free Republic because it was the quickest news aggregator out there and stable while all the media sites were crashing. Lots of retirees watching tv around the country and posting the news to a single text-based site; can't beat that. When the second plane hit we got a tv going in a conference room and watched together for a few hours until we decided there was no more news to be had. I ducked in and out; no one tried to do work. I was actually on the phone with a friend in SoHo to find out if he was ok when the second tower fell... he was watching it from his window at a safe enough distance... when he said "it's going, it's going," there wasn't much more to say. I said something about keeping the cells free and said good-bye. As I recall, the second tower falling wasn't as cataclysmic to observe as the first tower, because the first tower falling was unthinkable and shocking, unleashing huge clouds of smoke. We'd never seen anything like it. From then on, we knew the second was doomed. When it finally fell, it was just deeply sad.

My plan had been to drive down from Boston to the Jersey shore to spend some vacation time with my family. Around noon I decided there was no good reason not to go, so I drove down, crossing the Hudson at the Tappan Zee bridge to avoid any mess associated with the city itself. I looked south along the Hudson from the bridge but couldn't see any smoke from that far north. I arrived at the shore by late afternoon, with traffic light everywhere, and watched the rest of the news unfold on tv with my family.

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2009, 11:55:26 PM »

I was a senior in high school. I found out while I was in second-period history. That's the only part of my high school schedule I remember: I had history second period on Tuesdays senior year. The Assistant Headmistress came in and said something quietly to our teacher. He went deathly pale, but kept quiet until the end of class, when he told us what had happened.

That's true for me as well. I had English second period, and that's the only thing I could tell you besides having Physics first period.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2009, 05:06:17 PM »

I was in sixth grade on 9/11. I remember distinctly that in my first period class (Math) towards the end of the class the teacher answered the phone and seemed to be concerned about whatever the person on the other end was telling her. Then, in my second period (Science) our teacher explained to us what happened. The rest of the day was a full schedule, except that for PE class they didn't let us go outside and made us sit in the gym. I remember coming home and the live TV show they showed every afternoon on Nickelodeon wasn't on for the day and my parents (and I) spent the entire evening watching the news.

My mom saw it on TV. After she dropped me off at school, she came back and turned on the TV and saw the picture of the tower (I think only one had been hit at that point, but maybe both had) burning and she at first thought it was some kind of movie or TV show, but then she realized that it was a live news broadcast.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2009, 07:00:09 AM »

My mom saw it on TV. After she dropped me off at school, she came back and turned on the TV and saw the picture of the tower (I think only one had been hit at that point, but maybe both had) burning and she at first thought it was some kind of movie or TV show, but then she realized that it was a live news broadcast.

Yes, terrorists are like me and a lot of people on Earth also some children of Hollywood... I'd say nothing very original by saying it could have played, I mean the fascination that Hollywood/US (and by extension a lot of people on planet, but the creation is from US) can have for doom mongering movies, it may have inspired them for making something that "works"...
trebor204
TREBOR204

« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2009, 09:59:03 PM »

I was finishing a term job that week.
Normally I work from 7am-3pm. But, since there was lack of work. We started at 11am on the 11th.
I got up just before 8am  (Central Time). Turned on the radio, and remember hearing 'something' happending in NYC. I than turned on  the TV, and watch the one tower in flames. A few minutes later, I saw the second tower got hit. I watch about 2 hours worth of coverage, switching between channels.
I went to work, and listen to coverage on my walkman.
Went home after work, and watch another hour of coverage, and then went to work at my second job.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2009, 04:30:03 AM »

The first plane hit on my way home from work, the second one hit while I was laying in bed trying to go to sleep.  I went to sleep thinking the sh**t was over.  I woke up and found out the towers fell.  I killed a raccoon on my way into work that night.
Uh, whatever got you through the day I guess
It ran under my car on the highway.  I didn't do it on purpose.  I probably should have been more clear.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies