Good News!! (No, there's no girl)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:26:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Good News!! (No, there's no girl)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Good News!! (No, there's no girl)  (Read 1411 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2009, 05:46:10 PM »

As some of you may know, I am a licensed Southern Baptist preacher in the State of Oklahoma.  My home church is praying about and planning on ordaining me in January.  Last evening, about 8:30 my time, I got a phone call from my youth minister saying that his step-dad's church in Shawnee is without a pastor and looking for a man that will lead their congregation.  I called his step-dad and got some information and I will be preaching down there on Sunday morning, October 11 and occasionally after that for the rest of the year.  This may turn into a full-time pastoral position.

I am really praying hard about this.  I'm going down there tonight for a song service to meet the deacons and some of the members before I go down there on October 11 and deliver the morning message.

If you pray, pray mainly for two things.  Pray that the Lord would have His perfect will and that He would give me the messages that He wants me to deliver, not the messages that Jeff wants Jeff to deliver.  Pray that I would be mindful of my Heavenly Father's Glorious and Perfect Will.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 05:48:30 PM »

Cue several pages of braying derision.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 06:05:39 PM »

Congratulations. Smiley
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 06:16:26 PM »

Well, this makes it a lot easier to focus on Christmas. Congrats, you seem like you'd be good at this sort of thing.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 06:20:58 PM »

As some of you may know, I am a licensed Southern Baptist preacher in the State of Oklahoma.  My home church is praying about and planning on ordaining me in January.  Last evening, about 8:30 my time, I got a phone call from my youth minister saying that his step-dad's church in Shawnee is without a pastor and looking for a man that will lead their congregation.  I called his step-dad and got some information and I will be preaching down there on Sunday morning, October 11 and occasionally after that for the rest of the year.  This may turn into a full-time pastoral position.

I am really praying hard about this.  I'm going down there tonight for a song service to meet the deacons and some of the members before I go down there on October 11 and deliver the morning message.

If you pray, pray mainly for two things.  Pray that the Lord would have His perfect will and that He would give me the messages that He wants me to deliver, not the messages that Jeff wants Jeff to deliver.  Pray that I would be mindful of my Heavenly Father's Glorious and Perfect Will.

I don't believe in God, but I will wish you safe travel back and forth between where you live and Shawnee. Alot of preachers around where I live travel quite a bit to preach at their particular churches, I'm amazed that they can do it week after week.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 06:24:08 PM »

*Sigh*

I'll get the gun.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 06:43:48 PM »

My home church is praying about and planning on ordaining me in January. 

Does the SBC not require a seminary degree for ordination? And is ordination conferred by individual congregations rather than by a presbytery or some such higher level?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 06:45:13 PM »

Hopefully you won't be required to staple anything
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 07:28:11 PM »

Congratulations, Jeff.......no girls and no boys and you'll be fine Wink
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 09:05:03 PM »

My home church is praying about and planning on ordaining me in January. 

Does the SBC not require a seminary degree for ordination? And is ordination conferred by individual congregations rather than by a presbytery or some such higher level?

Ordination is handled and conferred by individual congregations, but is recognized by the broader convention.  Each individual congregation is autonomus (sp?) and governs itself.  The convention and each "association" are there for support, holding the basic doctrine, and is there in case the individual churches need help finding supply preachers or need a loan for a renovation or whatever.  The convention also supports our foreign and domestic missionaries.

Think of the SBC as the United States of America, the Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma as the State of Oklahoma, my association which is the Capital Baptist Assoc. as Oklahoma County and my home church as a "town".  Thinking of our "hierarchy" as political boundaries will help determine the cooperation and individuality of each congregation.

When I am ordained, I will be recognized as a minister/clergy across the entire country.  Being licensed is just for the State of Oklahoma, but ordination is one step higher (the USA).  Both levels have the same priviliges such as conducting weddings and funerals as well as preaching.  I have coined the phrase "I can marry 'em and I can bury 'em".

Anyway, I had a very good time tonight.  I didn't stay the entire time because I had to get back home, but I enjoyed it and the people there are very friendly.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 09:06:48 PM »

Congratulations!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies