Opinion on Affirmative Action
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:00:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion on Affirmative Action
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: Opinion?
Freedom Idea

Horrible Idea

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Opinion on Affirmative Action  (Read 17763 times)
Mint
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 25, 2009, 04:43:05 PM »
« edited: December 25, 2009, 05:51:08 PM by KRAMPUS™ »

"Judge me by the content of my character... Not the color of my skin."

Exactly

I doubt Martin Luther King would support affirmative action, since it gives people unfair advantages/disadvantages based on the color of their skin.

He did:

"If a city has a 30% Negro population, then it is logical to assume that Negroes should have at least 30% of the jobs in any particular company, and jobs in all categories rather than only in menial areas."

"Whenever the issue of compensatory treatment for the Negro is raised, some of our friends recoil in horror. The Negro should be granted equality, they agree; but he should ask nothing more. On the surface, this appears reasonable, but it is not realistic."

Also apparently, reparations:

"No amount of gold could provide an adequate compensation for the exploitation and humiliation of the Negro in America down through the centuries…Yet a price can be placed on unpaid wages. The ancient common law has always provided a remedy for the appropriation of a the labor of one human being by another. This law should be made to apply for American Negroes. The payment should be in the form of a massive program by the government of special, compensatory measures which could be regarded as a settlement in accordance with the accepted practice of common law."

Some more:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_King,_Jr.
http://books.google.com/books?id=BtkDAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_v2_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false (pages 62-63)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #76 on: December 25, 2009, 10:32:37 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2009, 10:36:07 PM by Lunar »

I'm of course skeptical of affirmative action, but I'm even more skeptical about a bunch of white privileged boys discussing the issue on the interwebs Smiley
Yes, we should stick to stuff only white men know anything about:politics, past elections, abortion, war, alternate time lines and coke vs pepsi.

Seriously though, are you suggesting we shouldn't be wasting our time talking about this because of the color of our skin?

No, but I am suggesting we are out of touch on this issue for a multiple number of reasons.   The knee-jerk "reverse racism" response annoys me, even if I also oppose affirmative action.  

As I said, the alternative of NOT discussing the issue is worse, but I can still critique the process of discussion.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #77 on: December 25, 2009, 10:34:02 PM »

I'm of course skeptical of affirmative action, but I'm even more skeptical about a bunch of white privileged boys discussing the issue on the interwebs Smiley
Yes, we should stick to stuff only white men know anything about:politics, past elections, abortion, war, alternate time lines and coke vs pepsi.

Seriously though, are you suggesting we shouldn't be wasting our time talking about this because of the color of our skin?

I don't know why Lunar thinks Lunar is funny but Lunar is far from funny.

I'm not trying to be funny here, I'm pretty much calling you a little brat.  
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #78 on: December 25, 2009, 10:37:16 PM »

I don't know why Lunar thinks Lunar is funny but Lunar is far from funny.

I'm not trying to be funny here, I'm pretty much calling you a little brat.  

How did you call me a "little brat"?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies