Is Racism a Factor in Conservative Opposition to Pres. Obama?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:32:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is Racism a Factor in Conservative Opposition to Pres. Obama?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Is racism a factor in conservative opposition to President Obama?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: Is Racism a Factor in Conservative Opposition to Pres. Obama?  (Read 12037 times)
The Democracy
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2009, 08:23:02 PM »

First off, I am sure that Racism is indeed a factor of not only Conservative Opposition but Opposition to him in general for SOME. Some will like him FOR race and some will dislike him FOR race. Even at a time in American Society where general acceptance and tolerance is extremely widespread, there will always be the ones who choose to let ignorance interfere.
However, that is just life and we must continue to fight the ignorance even if we can't fully defeat it.

Racism however does not apply in many cases. Just because you oppose President Obama doesn't make you a racist. Many people simply disagree with his policies. Differing opinions are bound to happen with any President, and this does not always stem from the topic of race.

But on the other hand, Obama's death threat rate has piled up 400%, usually catering from the topic of Race or other occasional ignorances. No doubt Race has a factor in that. Sad
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2009, 11:31:20 PM »

I think it is a factor since we are all racist to some degree.

some of us more than others *cough* *cough* *cough*

America has historically been a European Christian Nation and  conservatives are pissed off about having a Kenyan/Marxist who may be a Muslim and is probably not a US itizen with Israeli/Rothschild masters in the White House.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2009, 01:24:53 PM »

It is a factor, but a comparatively small one at that. Most of these people would be protesting if Hillary or some other non-black Democrat (such as Mark Warner or Evan Bayh) would be implementing similar policies.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2009, 11:32:55 PM »

I don't think so, they'd be acting just as crazily if Hillary were President.

Exactly.  Or John Kerry.  It might be classism, but it's not racism.

I doubt I'd ever hear the word n with Hillary or Kerry, like I have with Obama.  Sure everyone gets lathered up for one reason or another no matter who is President, but Obama has an extra thing on his plate, even if in very small amounts......

I did here the B word for Hillary.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2009, 08:18:03 PM »

I don't think so, they'd be acting just as crazily if Hillary were President.

Exactly.  Or John Kerry.  It might be classism, but it's not racism.

I doubt I'd ever hear the word n with Hillary or Kerry, like I have with Obama.  Sure everyone gets lathered up for one reason or another no matter who is President, but Obama has an extra thing on his plate, even if in very small amounts......

I did here the B word for Hillary.

Yeah, many conservatives are more offended by a liberal woman than a liberal man. That's why in the Senate, HRC scared conservatives moreso than did some politicians who were more liberal.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2009, 08:24:55 PM »

A major factor? No.

A factor as in, 1 out of 10 that don't like him is due to racism? sure.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2009, 09:02:07 PM »

I would say it more like 4 out of 10 conservatives.

The good thing though is they aren't enough of them to influence the outcome of a election.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2009, 10:27:50 PM »

I would say it more like 4 out of 10 conservatives.

The good thing though is they aren't enough of them to influence the outcome of a election.

You live in the south, though. Outside of there the opposition is almost 100% due to spending and the size of government.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2009, 12:13:50 AM »

You live in the south, though. Outside of there the opposition is almost 100% due to spending and the size of government.

lol. You are so naive.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2009, 08:03:30 PM »

LOL.  Because racism only exists in the South.

It's not like the KKK was by far the most widespread in Ohio and Indiana or anything...it's not like the nation's biggest race riots were in NYC, Boston, and LA or anything....

Oh, wait...
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2009, 09:38:17 PM »

I guess so, if Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton said it is.
Lee Atwater
Rookie

« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »

Georgia 1960:
Kennedy 62%
Nixon 37%

Georgia 1964:
Goldwater 54%
Johnson 45%

Thoughts?

Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2009, 11:03:55 PM »

LOL.  Because racism only exists in the South.

It's not like the KKK was by far the most widespread in Ohio and Indiana or anything...it's not like the nation's biggest race riots were in NYC, Boston, and LA or anything....

Oh, wait...

lol. You are so naive.

So all Bush protesters were raving anti-Christian hippies?

I'm just saying racism is far more prevalent in the south. Honestly, I cannot say I've met a genuinely racist person under the age of 75 or so.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2009, 11:37:02 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2009, 11:38:44 PM by useful idiot »

I actually think quite a bit of the heated conservative criticism of Obama has its roots in his race and background in general. It's an appeal to fear of "the other" that the GOP has perfected. The problem with most of the disgusting and crazy things Republicans said about Bill Clinton was that they were often true. His politics weren't that liberal, but they could attack him on his character. Obama's personal life seems pretty tame, but his policies are just as center-right as Clinton's.

Republicans have a problem with change; they don't like that this country isn't the country that they grew up in, and Obama's race is a symbol of social change. I think most of the anger stems from economic changes and in many cases truly negative social changes. For some unfortunate reason though a large segment of the population lashes out at these real and negative changes by attacking positive changes, such as black or gay rights. These people's anger isn't unfounded, it's just been directed in a way that the establishment pushes because they can use it to divide and win votes. They can't have people directing their anger in constructive ways because that threatens their power.

I don't think it matters though, as Obama has benefited from the perception that his race is a factor in criticism of him.
MSG
MSG@LUC
Rookie
United States

« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2009, 12:49:33 AM »

I actually think quite a bit of the heated conservative criticism of Obama has its roots in his race and background in general. It's an appeal to fear of "the other" that the GOP has perfected. The problem with most of the disgusting and crazy things Republicans said about Bill Clinton was that they were often true. His politics weren't that liberal, but they could attack him on his character. Obama's personal life seems pretty tame, but his policies are just as center-right as Clinton's.

Republicans have a problem with change; they don't like that this country isn't the country that they grew up in, and Obama's race is a symbol of social change. I think most of the anger stems from economic changes and in many cases truly negative social changes. For some unfortunate reason though a large segment of the population lashes out at these real and negative changes by attacking positive changes, such as black or gay rights. These people's anger isn't unfounded, it's just been directed in a way that the establishment pushes because they can use it to divide and win votes. They can't have people directing their anger in constructive ways because that threatens their power.

I don't think it matters though, as Obama has benefited from the perception that his race is a factor in criticism of him.

That was very well stated i have always thought that its more fear of what obama symbolizes more so than his race that is driving this vitrolic hatred for him you see from the foaming at the mouth right wing.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies