Is Racism a Factor in Conservative Opposition to Pres. Obama? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:40:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is Racism a Factor in Conservative Opposition to Pres. Obama? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is racism a factor in conservative opposition to President Obama?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: Is Racism a Factor in Conservative Opposition to Pres. Obama?  (Read 12064 times)
MSG
MSG@LUC
Rookie
United States

« on: December 28, 2009, 12:49:33 AM »

I actually think quite a bit of the heated conservative criticism of Obama has its roots in his race and background in general. It's an appeal to fear of "the other" that the GOP has perfected. The problem with most of the disgusting and crazy things Republicans said about Bill Clinton was that they were often true. His politics weren't that liberal, but they could attack him on his character. Obama's personal life seems pretty tame, but his policies are just as center-right as Clinton's.

Republicans have a problem with change; they don't like that this country isn't the country that they grew up in, and Obama's race is a symbol of social change. I think most of the anger stems from economic changes and in many cases truly negative social changes. For some unfortunate reason though a large segment of the population lashes out at these real and negative changes by attacking positive changes, such as black or gay rights. These people's anger isn't unfounded, it's just been directed in a way that the establishment pushes because they can use it to divide and win votes. They can't have people directing their anger in constructive ways because that threatens their power.

I don't think it matters though, as Obama has benefited from the perception that his race is a factor in criticism of him.

That was very well stated i have always thought that its more fear of what obama symbolizes more so than his race that is driving this vitrolic hatred for him you see from the foaming at the mouth right wing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies