Building The City (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:44:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  Town Hall
  Building The City (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Building The City  (Read 49010 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« on: September 15, 2009, 05:06:53 PM »

I like my Le Havre idea, so if we mimick Le Havre, at the mouth of a major river and also one the shore of an important sea/ocean/channel whatever.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 06:18:43 PM »

Well, as far as that kind of thing goes I like the idea of mixing docks with other heavy industry. But what should the language of this city be?

Maybe English would be best for this forum, but it would be interesting to have an historical linguistic minority.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 08:02:23 PM »

Well, as far as that kind of thing goes I like the idea of mixing docks with other heavy industry. But what should the language of this city be?

Yeah, I like an industrial city with docks and heavy industry and some very strong Labour-voting constituencies, so long as there are enough Tory and swing seats that either party can form a majority in council. Perhaps also a popularly elected Mayor, as well?

That's why I like my Le Havre idea - there are some wealthy areas, sometimes very wealthy, areas within the city itself in addition to some very rich suburbs (like Ste Adresse is to Le Havre) save for the dirt-poor industrial suburbs (like Gonfreville-L'Orcher is to Le Havre)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 07:15:03 AM »

Le Havre actually looks pretty good (on Google Maps) - not too large, but large enough to be financially able to make lots of decisions.

Just for reference vis-a-vis income;

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 07:19:53 AM »

FTR, I have no problem with integrating parts of various cities into this city... or its suburbs. Either in terms of housing, industry etc. Le Havre is just a basic idea for geography, and maybe income structure and polarization (which would make things fun).
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 03:08:30 PM »

So Le Havre for the basic outline of the city, mixed heavy industrial base (the docks, yes, but also other industries often found near the coast - steelworks, say. Maybe chemical factories. And I think we can work in some incorporated mining villages on the fringes of the city (btw, presuming industrial surrounds for the city makes it easy to concentrate the bourgeois parts of the city - which seems to be one of the attracts of Le Havre). This gives us a pretty diverse city in some respects. I think we could also give it an older centre, perhaps with a cathedral. It should also have a university - late 19th century probably). Anyway. I'll post a couple of test maps this afternoon.

I have a (oh no not again) Glasgow based solution to where to site the middle class; hills. The west end of Glasgow boomed post 1850 when it became easier to construct sweeping terraces on hilly ground (Glasgow is peppered with 'drumlins'). Places like Hyndland are seperated from working class areas by a 40 degree gradient approach. High living meant you lived above the smog. It's also an interesting class metaphor Smiley

Lends itself nicely, again, to Le Havre Wink

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=49.500465,0.140247&spn=0.065776,0.181789&t=p&z=13
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 10:15:37 AM »
« Edited: September 19, 2009, 10:18:01 AM by Minister of Free Time Hashemite »

What is II like?

A good place to check what your region is like is to look up the city of Sainte-Adresse.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 11:23:12 AM »

What's the second-richest region after VII? I obviously want a right-wing wealthyland area.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 09:48:51 AM »

I'd like XIII on the condition that it's also wealthy. If not, then I.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 07:03:50 PM »

Still fighting over whether to take XIII and I... both are appealing!
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 03:41:56 PM »

Well, if I can take both, I'll happily do so! Smiley
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 07:18:23 PM »

XIII: Saint Michael

Saint Michael was originally sparsely populated farmland, with Saint Michael being the name given to a small coastal hamlet whose economic survival depended on farming. Like adjacent Culzeansands, this farming economy was overrun by urban growth and some grand Georgian and Victorian terraces and smaller townhouses were built along the coastal cliffs.

Growth inland was much slower, and it only started becoming a suburban area after World War II, with the construction of the city's small airport. As opposed to the very affluent coastal areas of the district, areas inland tend to be more middle-class and the townhouses are more modest. Compared to the coast, it has more of a suburbia feel to it.

Most people in the district commute to work in the city, though some work at the small airport.

Saint Michael has been a traditionally right-wing area, though the left has some strength in poorer social housing parcels around the airport.

Areas: Stovesby-Saint Michael Airport Lands, La Côte, Old Saint Michael (both coastal), Stovesby West, Walsh Acres (inland areas)

I: Stovesby Centre

The Centre district is the core of the city, and is home to the city's main white-collar business district, the City Hall and the Cathedral. Although very active in daytime, the core has a relatively low population, because many of the people working in the district commute there.

The Centre is a relatively well-off middle-class area, though there has been development of cheaper public housing in some parts of the district. A considerable share of the population live in costly flats overlooking the small yacht's harbour (Old Harbour) and the seafront. The Old Harbour, which used to be the city's main harbour before the Industrial Revolution, is now an affluent promenade lined with cafes and popular with tourists.

Stovesby Centre is a right-wing area, due to its largely upper middle-class inhabitants.

Areas: Old Stovesby, Old Harbour, Cathedral Park, Royal Square (where the city hall et al is).
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 09:01:37 AM »

Not sure if posh flats overlooking the old harbour is exactly "period", but the rest is good. And in parts excellent.

Well, newer posh flats overlooking a recently transformed harbour (from old, small and early industrial harbour to a yacht/wealthy people's boats harbour with touristy areas), but I understand that may not be post-War fitting, and is possibly more 80s-90s.

Thanks, btw.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 06:16:29 PM »

I listed the various areas of St. Michael in my post on that:

Stovesby-Saint Michael Airport Lands, La Côte, Old Saint Michael (both coastal), Stovesby West, Walsh Acres (inland areas)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 07:38:12 AM »

(IC)

Cllr. J. Fredericks will be running for re-election to continue his fight against the Municipal socialo-communists and their disastrous Soviet-like policies and their Soviet-like centralism in City Hall which is a danger for all honest self-respecting citizens of Stovesby.

I also support expansion to include Wedlock, Gormby and Prestsley within our city, but other inclusion of other areas would only be a tool by the socialo-communists to expand their rule of terror forever.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 12:54:28 PM »

Cllr. Fredericks: As always, the socialo-communists are resorting to personal attacks on my person and my views because they can't accept the painful truth of the matter. I trust the people of St. Michael's to know the truth about the situation, and to reject both the MSP's old corrupt tricks and the MSP's push for local government reform which is nothing more than an attempt by the socialo-communists to weaken the position of the opposition to their reign of terror in Stovesby! They want to stuff the city with voters who are brainwashed into voting for their candidates because they can't know better. The Conservative answer to this nonsense is a clear and loud NO, because we want to keep Stovesby.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 11:29:35 AM »

(OC)

There should be a specific thread for City Council public meetings.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies