What are you allergic to? What common irritants don't bother you?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:28:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What are you allergic to? What common irritants don't bother you?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What are you allergic to? What common irritants don't bother you?  (Read 2035 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 15, 2009, 08:14:40 PM »

I am allergic to dog fur and cat saliva... though I've been around cats and dogs for most of my life now so the allergies have calmed down.

I am not at all allergic to bees.  I've been stung 10-15 times at once before and they were nothing but mosquito bite-sized welts that stopped itching after several hours and were gone within a day or two.

I also don't get poison ivy very bad.  I once walked through a dense patch of it while we were stealing some rocks by some railroad tracks to put around our fire pit... my friend had a major rash running up both legs... I got like two tiny blisters that I disinfected and bandaged and everything was fine.

How about YOU?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 08:15:46 PM »

I think I'm allergic to pistachioes. This is horrible, because pistachioes are delicious.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 08:16:07 PM »

Poison Ivy (Possibly Poison Oak, Sumac).  Accidentally rubbed my eye, and needed steroids for a good week to keep my eye from swelling shut.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 08:19:55 PM »

Poison Ivy (Possibly Poison Oak, Sumac).  Accidentally rubbed my eye, and needed steroids for a good week to keep my eye from swelling shut.

You could be allergic to the other two, but the chances of you coming across either of them is slim... especially poison sumac.  That stuff really only goes in bogs and marshes that humans don't tend to just trudge through.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 08:21:41 PM »

I'm horribly allergic to cats. Which is a shame, because I absolutely love cats, and we have two of them, so I'm constantly in need of allergy meds and go through a religious sneezing ritual after I wake up. When my scratch my eyes too much after being around a cat, they start to swell. It's gotten worse as I've grown, but it's still noticeable.

I'm writing this with a cat sleeping on my lap right now, actually. I love them too much to hate them for my allergies.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 08:39:09 PM »

I'm not allergic to anything.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 08:58:42 PM »

I am allergic to bee stings.  I am not in any mortal danger if I am stung by one or two, but there is generally considerable swelling for several days.  I'm not sure what would happen if I were stung by more than that.  It's never happened.

As far as I know, that's it.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 09:02:21 PM »

Just to give an idea, last time I was stung, it was on the outer part of my foot.  Within a couple hours, that part of my foot was as large as the inner part, and my little toe (and I have a very small little toe about one inch, basically so small as to be of no use at all) has swollen to the size of my middle toe, and remained that way for a few days.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 09:08:06 PM »

Whatever it is that I'm allergic to, it absolutely devastates me every fall and spring.  I am miserable and suffering right now.  (I'm pretty sure it's my allergies, and not swine flu)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 09:19:53 PM »

Just to give an idea, last time I was stung, it was on the outer part of my foot.  Within a couple hours, that part of my foot was as large as the inner part, and my little toe (and I have a very small little toe about one inch, basically so small as to be of no use at all) has swollen to the size of my middle toe, and remained that way for a few days.

Do big little toes have uses?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 09:29:17 PM »

Do big little toes have uses?

I imagine they have more uses than mine.  I think mine are, more or less, at the top end of human evolution, as they have literally worn down to almost nothing.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 10:16:03 PM »

Pet dander. It's pretty rough the first few days back from college.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 10:21:05 PM »

Cats, ragweed (which has transplanted itself to if I eat cantaloupe, watermelon, and banana now, as apparently there are some proteins that resemble ragweed on those; nice job, immune system, you just defeated my favorite food when I was in elementary and middle school, cantaloupe Tongue), probably some sort of unknown indoor allergy as if I don't take allergy medication year round my nose tends to be a bit confused, mosquito bites (though not at all to the extent that people are allergic to bee stings; it's just that I can terrify people with the extremity of mosquito bites if I make any sort of physical contact with the bite location after I'm bitten).

I once had someone tell me it would make sense that I'd have a lot of allergies.  I wasn't at all sure how to take that comment.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 10:25:50 PM »

Cats, ragweed (which has transplanted itself to if I eat cantaloupe, watermelon, and banana now, as apparently there are some proteins that resemble ragweed on those; nice job, immune system, you just defeated my favorite food when I was in elementary and middle school, cantaloupe Tongue), probably some sort of unknown indoor allergy as if I don't take allergy medication year round my nose tends to be a bit confused, mosquito bites (though not at all to the extent that people are allergic to bee stings; it's just that I can terrify people with the extremity of mosquito bites if I make any sort of physical contact with the bite location after I'm bitten).

I once had someone tell me it would make sense that I'd have a lot of allergies.  I wasn't at all sure how to take that comment.

I'm not surprised that you have a lot either.. and I'm not sure why.  You're probably too clean... your immune system doesn't have enough to fight off so it just starts picking things at random.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 12:15:49 AM »

I used to be mildly allergic to Augmentin. Not so much anymore.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 05:25:03 AM »

Grass pollen.  That's all.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 05:30:07 AM »

Amoxicillian is the only thing I know of.  Made me get a little emotional (I was at home alone for awhile and was yelling at the walls and crying and other insane things) and I got little red bumps ALL over my body...as they went away they itched like a mofo.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 11:00:42 AM »

No diagnosed allergies, though it's pretty obvious I am allergic to some metal occasionally found in cheap earrings, probably nickle.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 08:37:31 AM »

When there is too much dust >>> series of ATCHAAA! that I use to make follow by some "wow".

There may be other things that provoke series of this, but that remains pretty rare and that's not really identified.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 01:34:56 PM »

I used to have a pretty serious mosquito allergy, but I grew out of it.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 02:23:05 PM »

Latex. Badly.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 02:38:42 PM »

Abstinence wins. Flawless victory.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 03:01:08 PM »

Nothing. That allergy test thingee with a bunch of receptors on your arm that I took in Bavaria returned nothing.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 04:01:14 PM »

Nothing. That allergy test thingee with a bunch of receptors on your arm that I took in Bavaria returned nothing.

Yeah, I did that test too.  I am also allergic to smoke, apparently.. despite having grown up with fireplaces in the house that we used a lot.. and having campfires like every night all summer long...

The doctor told us to get rid of our dogs and cats and rip out the fireplace... needless to say, that didn't happen.  I almost never get allergies unless its a combination of several things (like a smoky room filled with cats and dogs).  Believe it or not, allergies can go away as you age.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 06:12:45 PM »

Certain washing powders and new rags ( untill they have been washed a few times.. it must be the die)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies