State one random fact...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:12:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  State one random fact...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: State one random fact...  (Read 5292 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 15, 2009, 10:14:26 PM »

About your

City/town:

State/Province/(Nation outside of North America or appropriate designation in Britain that we could still recognize):

Make it a new fact each time you play!

Anyway:

City:  We are the first permanent settlement on the Mississippi river.  For this reason, we share a sister city designation with New Orleans.

State:  We are the number one producer of edible peas in the United States.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 11:02:44 PM »

The reuben was invented in Omaha.

Arbor Day started in Nebraska.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 11:06:23 PM »

City: You can't speak English to people in most of Miami, lest bad things happen.

State: You can't speak Spanish to people in most of Florida, lest bad things happen.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 11:12:01 PM »

Tulsa:

Location of Oral Roberts University. The founder of ORU, Oral Roberts, says he received a vision from God telling him to "Build a university, build it on my authority, and on the Holy Spirit" and "Raise up your students to hear my voice, to go where my light is seen dim, where my voice is heard small, and my healing power is not known, even to the uttermost bounds of the earth. Their work will exceed yours, and in that I am well pleased." Somebody must've been smoking the Holy Bong that night..........

Also the scene of the infamous Tulsa Race Riots that resulted in the destruction of the historic Greenwood neighborhood and may have killed as many as 300 people.

I got all kinds of crazy sh*t I could tell ya!

Oklahoma: On a brighter note, more than 25 Native American languages are spoken in this state, more than any other state in the union.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 11:28:46 PM »

Staten Island:  Toxins from the Fresh Kills Landfill have caused almost every male born here to have a freakishly large penis.  I myself suffer from this affliction.   

NYC:  We're the only city in the country that contains more than one county. 

New York State:  Our "Supreme Court" is primarily a trial court, rather than the court of last resort.  It's roughly equivalent to the "district courts", "superior courts," or "circuit courts" of other states.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 11:36:12 PM »

San Jose: Largest city in America without a recognizable downtown.

California: Elected an atheist Governor.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 12:09:43 AM »

San Francisco: is the stated location of Starfleet Headquarters on Star Trek.

California: three out of the five counties in the state that voted for Goldwater voted for Obama 44 years later.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 12:30:30 AM »

San Francisco: is the stated location of Starfleet Headquarters on Star Trek.

In the Presidio, IIRC. Starfleet Academy is in Marin.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 12:39:12 AM »

Charleston: North America's longest cable-stayed bridge spans the Charleston Harbor.  The Arthur J. Ravenel Jr. Bridge connects historic Charleston and Mount Pleasant, South Carolina.

South Carolina: Elected the first US senator by write-in vote. Strom Thurmond received 139,106 write-in votes to win his seat. He defeated Democratic nominee Edgar Brown, who received only 80,956 votes.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 12:51:34 AM »

Fresno: Named after the Ashtree, it still stands today I think?
California: Has tallest mountain in continental contiguous US. Mt. Whitney
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 01:08:05 AM »
« Edited: September 16, 2009, 01:18:29 AM by Snowguy716 »

My city:  In its first 20 years of existence, Bemidji was known as a man's town of loggers, bars, and whorehouses.  Prohibition changed all that, and Bemidji was featured in national publications about the positive effects prohibition had on the community.

Minnesota:  The death penalty has been illegal here since 1911.

Edit:  And for good reason, I might add.  We have the honor of having the largest mass hanging in United States history, hanging 38 Dakota Indians.  Officials tried to hang 303, but President Lincoln stayed the execution of all but the 38.

In 1906, the last execution to take place in Minnesota, was of a St. Paul man accused of killing his wife.  The gallows were shoddily put together in haste and the sheriff didn't account for the fact that the man's neck and the rope would stretch.  His feet hit the floor.  It took 3 deputies to hold the rope up as the man slowly choked to death.  It took fourteen and a half minutes for him to die.

Needless to say, the death penalty fell out of favor.  Nobody was sentenced to death after 1906 and under Republicans in the legislature and the Republican governor, it was taken off the books in 1911.  It's amazing how the Republican party has changed since then with Tim Pawlenty favoring the death penalty.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 05:34:55 AM »

Wiener Neustadt was built with ransom money and is the military capital of Austria.

Lower Austria is shaped kind of like Morris County, NJ.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 07:07:13 AM »

Ottawa: The legal city includes a bunch of rural areas full of hicks. These rural areas to the west elected one of the two Alliance MPs in 2000.

Ontario: The leader of the opposition provincially loves George W. Bush.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 08:40:56 AM »

OOh I love reuben sandwiches.  Lets see.. I won't comment on my town precisely, but the Isaan region generally.  It is a region of 20-25 million people the size and shape of East Germany which has only one Indian restaurant but several thousand short time hotels ('bungalows').
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 08:41:12 AM »

Preston - England's youngest city, awarded city status...erm....a bit ago. 2001? No....yeah. Round then.

Lancashire - traditional home of Manchester. And Liverpool. But not anymore. Alas, no.
Plant City Rebel
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.17

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 08:49:27 AM »

City:  We are the Winter Strawberry Capital of the US---Those Strawberries y'all are eating from November - March.....check the labels--they're going to be from one of our large growers! In fact, in the LG refrigerator commercial, the man who is handing over the Strawberries is one of the largest growers in town!

State: The Villages in Ocala has the highest STD, and Alcoholism rates per age demographic in the state.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 08:53:30 AM »

City:  We are the Winter Strawberry Capital of the US---Those Strawberries y'all are eating from November - March.....check the labels--they're going to be from one of our large growers! In fact, in the LG refrigerator commercial, the man who is handing over the Strawberries is one of the largest growers in town!

State: The Villages in Ocala has the highest STD, and Alcoholism rates per age demographic in the state.

Where is States?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 09:28:16 AM »

University Place: It uhh... umm... it... it has one of the highest concentrations of Mormons outside of Utah?

Washington State: You know the joke about there being two Starbucks across the street from one another in Seattle? Not a joke. There are many locations like this. And not just in Seattle.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 09:32:58 AM »

Louisville, CO: Consistently ranked in the top 5 best places to live in the US.

Colorado: The 2nd most free state behind only New Hampshire.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 09:33:48 AM »

Warsaw: Completly destroyed following 1944 uprising and quickly and well rebuilded

Poland: We have one of the least active inquisition in Europe
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2009, 10:04:15 AM »

City:  We were the home town of football player Larry Johnson, his dad coached mine in Football.

State: Maryland was originally established as a place for safety of British Roman Catholics.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2009, 10:27:28 AM »
« Edited: September 16, 2009, 10:30:10 AM by Swedish Cheese »

Lund: Scandinavia's biggest university is located here. Last time I looked, it was right above Notre Dame on a list of the world's top 100 universities.

Sweden: Cinamon buns, the dynamite, reality telivision, and the Celsius scale was invented here. We're terribly sorry about the reality TV, but we hope that the awsomness of the other inventions will make up for it.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 10:46:34 AM »

reality telivision, <snip> was invented here.
cite?
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 11:14:53 AM »

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality-TV

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wink

Actually it depends on your definition of reality TV. Shows like Candid Camera and Talant Shows wasn't invented here. But the idea to put a group of people together and have them eliminated one by one until one winner is left (aka. Survivor, Top Model, Project Runnaway, Big Brother, Bachelor, every other sucky show using this format) was started here with the TV show Expedition Robinson.
Plant City Rebel
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.17

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 12:00:19 PM »

Where is States?

Sitting on the couch, reading the directions on how to attach the seat to the  little one's new walker.......
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies