Hank Johnson says Joe Wilson's comment is racist
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:00:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hank Johnson says Joe Wilson's comment is racist
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hank Johnson says Joe Wilson's comment is racist  (Read 2710 times)
Stampever
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 16, 2009, 07:14:10 AM »

Really?  "You lie" is a racist remark?

Video of his comment can be found here:  http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/09/15/house-dem-invokes-kkk-images/

I'm tired of these Obamapologists (yes, my party is full of them) always claiming "racism" whenever someone doesn't agree with the President. 
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 07:18:32 AM »

WTF?  That made no sense at all, what a jackass.
Stampever
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 07:49:56 AM »

More "racist" accusations regarding Wilson's comment:  http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601074&sid=agUnJfnW_IBU

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Seriously guys, grow up.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 08:00:24 AM »

No, it's all about the context of Joe Wilson's career, his past attacks on Strom Thurmond's daughter, his advocacy on racially polarizing issues, and the fact that several politicians of his age and background (including Lynn Westmoreland, who called Obama "uppity," and Saxby Chambliss, who warned Obama to show "humility" before him at his upcoming address) and many, many protesters have a strange problem not insisting the President show deference and respect to them befitting their 1950s upbringing.

If you don't see it, then there's nothing to discuss. But you do have to look at the big picture.
Stampever
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 08:32:25 AM »

None of that is in context to the reason why Hank Johnson was for the Congressional rebuke though.  The rebuke (to which he was being interviewed for) was about Wilson's outburst during Obama's speech.  Now, there could be a chance that you are right in the greater scheme of things, but Johnson should not be taking that into account with his justification for his vote.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 08:59:56 AM »

Jimmy Carter called it racist too.....in fact we're all racists unless we're black.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 09:10:05 AM »

If a small group of people keep yelling racist every time someone does or says something they disagree with, the term is going to become as meaningful as liberal or conservative. We have our own so called "racist" issues down here right now, so I'm more annoyed than usual by this.

Wilson said his comments because (he believes) Obama lied.

Johnson said Wilson said his comments because Obama is black.

So by that logic (Johnson's, not mine), calling one a liar, regardless of their race, is racist.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 11:17:10 AM »

These accusations would be more ridiculous if Wilson were a Republican representing rural Pennsylvania or Wyoming or suburban Arizona or something. But being a congressman from South Carolina who tried to push to get the Confederate flag on the state flag, there's a definite undercurrent in the willingness to be rude.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 11:59:51 AM »

Is it possible there was a real racial undertone?  Of course.

Is it definite enough to start throwing around charges of racism?  No.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 04:07:11 PM »

Hank Johnson seems to be bucking for Cynthia McKinney's mantle. What a shame.

There was plenty about Wilson's remark that was, ironically, untruthful.  And rude.  And just plain ignorant.  But racist?  Baloney.

Johnson has tried to backtrack and say he meant that the remark only served to fuel future racist rants.  But sorry, Hank...there is no sound logic behind that at all.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 05:40:16 PM »

Nice word!
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 06:37:44 PM »

I'm tired of these Obamapologists (yes, my party is full of them)

Obamapologists in the republican party?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 06:38:14 PM »

Johnson and Carter are totally off-base.

Wilson would've been every bit as boorish a jackass who desperately needs a cup of STFU juice even if Obama was white.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 08:12:53 PM »

Hank Johnson should be spending more time trying to reach enlightenment than ... well, whatever it is he does.

agreed.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 01:15:25 AM »

All these stupid charges of racism are just getting ridiculous.  Unless you have PROOF that his comment was racist, don't claim it as such.  And I don't mean proof by his past - I mean proof as in for this circumstance.
Stampever
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 07:22:49 AM »

All these stupid charges of racism are just getting ridiculous.  Unless you have PROOF that his comment was racist, don't claim it as such.  And I don't mean proof by his past - I mean proof as in for this circumstance.

Don't you know?  You're racist just for questioning Johnson's accusation of Wilson! 
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 11:12:11 AM »

It's pretty amazing that even I see the racist accusations as ludicrous.  I tend to be extremely sensitive to racism, code-words, etc.  I tend to believe there are lots of racist practices still at work in our society and culture.

But I am failing to see anything remotely racist about what Wilson said.  Wilson is an asshole.  Not a Klansman or a CCC keynote speaker.

By the way, Eleanor Holmes Norton has been awfully astute about this.  She told NPR it was time to get over it.  She said if we continue to blast the guy, he becomes a martyr of the extreme right...and a rallying point.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 12:17:01 PM »

"You lie!"

How is there any racist connotation in this statement? What only black people lie? (BTW somebody tell the super pc racebaiters that Obama is only HALF black)
Stampever
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 01:01:48 PM »

"You lie!"

How is there any racist connotation in this statement? What only black people lie? (BTW somebody tell the super pc racebaiters that Obama is only HALF black)

Wilson is being racist towards the white half.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 01:21:49 PM »

No, it's all about the context of Joe Wilson's career, his past attacks on Strom Thurmond's daughter, his advocacy on racially polarizing issues, and the fact that several politicians of his age and background (including Lynn Westmoreland, who called Obama "uppity," and Saxby Chambliss, who warned Obama to show "humility" before him at his upcoming address) and many, many protesters have a strange problem not insisting the President show deference and respect to them befitting their 1950s upbringing.

If you don't see it, then there's nothing to discuss. But you do have to look at the big picture.

Of course Brittain will urge that all criticism of Obama (at least from the right) is "racist." 

No need to think, examine the facts.  Just do a little childish name-calling (the latin term is ad hominen attack).

Sorry Brittain, but you race card has been declined. 
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 01:37:16 PM »

Of course Brittain will urge that all criticism of Obama (at least from the right) is "racist." 

No need to think, examine the facts.  Just do a little childish name-calling (the latin term is ad hominen attack).

Sorry Brittain, but you race card has been declined. 

Also what we are discussing is if Joe Wilson's individual comment itself is racist. We are not discussing whether he is racist but whether "You lie!" is a racist statement. Racist people can say nonracist things. A KKK member talking about the Lotto numbers may not be engaging in racist speak. He might also just believe that Obama lied because he thinks it's untrue, not because Obama is a darkie and all darkies are liars. Now if he had yelled "You lying n****r bastard!" then yes that is definitely racist. But all he said here was "You Lie!" Clearly no racist connotation.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 01:46:09 PM »

By the way, Eleanor Holmes Norton has been awfully astute about this.  She told NPR it was time to get over it.  She said if we continue to blast the guy, he becomes a martyr of the extreme right...and a rallying point.

Too late.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 02:12:09 PM »

In my case, he is absolutely right! Also, I was dropped on my head as a baby.

CARL, please don't put words in my mouth.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 02:13:37 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2009, 02:16:45 PM by brittain33 »

Also what we are discussing is if Joe Wilson's individual comment itself is racist.

But that's a stupid point to be debating. Of course "you lie!" on its own is not racist, and if anyone said those two words, taken on their own and without concern for the guy's background and past statements or the fact no one has ever treated a President so pettily, are racist it deserves to be walked back. That's the easy and pointless conversation to be had. The relevant conversation is the one I alluded to in my first post--the total lack of respect some people have for even the idea of Obama as President, the insistence he not be uppity or must show due respect to people like Wilson (when respect is not reciprocated), and the behavior which matches the way racism was and has been used, is an issue. It's not all of it, but it's part of the issue. Redefining the issue very narrowly makes it a straw man. That's fine if you want to kick around a straw man, but it shows a lack of respect for even trying to understand where other people are coming from. Again, part of the problem.

Meanwhile, Drudge is posting and Limbaugh is vectoring stories to the CARLHAYDENS of America that in Obama's Presidency, black kids will gang up on and beat up white kids with impunity. 
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 04:43:04 PM »

Also what we are discussing is if Joe Wilson's individual comment itself is racist.

But that's a stupid point to be debating. Of course "you lie!" on its own is not racist, and if anyone said those two words, taken on their own and without concern for the guy's background and past statements or the fact no one has ever treated a President so pettily, are racist it deserves to be walked back. That's the easy and pointless conversation to be had. The relevant conversation is the one I alluded to in my first post--the total lack of respect some people have for even the idea of Obama as President, the insistence he not be uppity or must show due respect to people like Wilson (when respect is not reciprocated), and the behavior which matches the way racism was and has been used, is an issue. It's not all of it, but it's part of the issue. Redefining the issue very narrowly makes it a straw man. That's fine if you want to kick around a straw man, but it shows a lack of respect for even trying to understand where other people are coming from. Again, part of the problem.

Meanwhile, Drudge is posting and Limbaugh is vectoring stories to the CARLHAYDENS of America that in Obama's Presidency, black kids will gang up on and beat up white kids with impunity. 

Somebody want to post this to the Goldmine? Huh
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies