Hank Johnson says Joe Wilson's comment is racist (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:29:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hank Johnson says Joe Wilson's comment is racist (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hank Johnson says Joe Wilson's comment is racist  (Read 2754 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: September 16, 2009, 08:00:24 AM »

Really?  "You lie" is a racist remark?

No, it's all about the context of Joe Wilson's career, his past attacks on Strom Thurmond's daughter, his advocacy on racially polarizing issues, and the fact that several politicians of his age and background (including Lynn Westmoreland, who called Obama "uppity," and Saxby Chambliss, who warned Obama to show "humility" before him at his upcoming address) and many, many protesters have a strange problem not insisting the President show deference and respect to them befitting their 1950s upbringing.

If you don't see it, then there's nothing to discuss. But you do have to look at the big picture.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 02:12:09 PM »

Of course Brittain will urge that all criticism of Obama (at least from the right) is "racist." 

In my case, he is absolutely right! Also, I was dropped on my head as a baby.

CARL, please don't put words in my mouth.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 02:13:37 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2009, 02:16:45 PM by brittain33 »

Also what we are discussing is if Joe Wilson's individual comment itself is racist.

But that's a stupid point to be debating. Of course "you lie!" on its own is not racist, and if anyone said those two words, taken on their own and without concern for the guy's background and past statements or the fact no one has ever treated a President so pettily, are racist it deserves to be walked back. That's the easy and pointless conversation to be had. The relevant conversation is the one I alluded to in my first post--the total lack of respect some people have for even the idea of Obama as President, the insistence he not be uppity or must show due respect to people like Wilson (when respect is not reciprocated), and the behavior which matches the way racism was and has been used, is an issue. It's not all of it, but it's part of the issue. Redefining the issue very narrowly makes it a straw man. That's fine if you want to kick around a straw man, but it shows a lack of respect for even trying to understand where other people are coming from. Again, part of the problem.

Meanwhile, Drudge is posting and Limbaugh is vectoring stories to the CARLHAYDENS of America that in Obama's Presidency, black kids will gang up on and beat up white kids with impunity. 
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 08:15:32 PM »

Meanwhile, Drudge is posting and Limbaugh is vectoring stories to the CARLHAYDENS of America that in Obama's Presidency, black kids will gang up on and beat up white kids with impunity. 

I don't think that's their intention.  What they're trying to do is point out the double-standard employed by the MSM with regard to black-on-white violence.

I can't read what's in their hearts when they do what they do, I can only look at Limbaugh's words.

"It's Obama's America, is it not?  Obama's America, white kids getting beat up on school buses now.  You put your kids on a school bus, you expect safety but in Obama's America the white kids now get beat up with the black kids cheering, "Yay, right on, right on, right on, right on," and, of course, everybody says the white kid deserved it, he was born a racist, he's white."

Limbaugh telling scared white people that because Obama is President, black kids are going to beat up their kids or grandkids and then the kids will be blamed for it.

Does anyone else remember Phil's original reaction to the Ashley Todd story when he broke? How much he couldn't wait for his grandma and her friends to hear about it and how they'd react?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies